Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 March 2002
This book was both touching and really affected me.
It's clear and direct style allowed me to see right into her world. And what amazed me the most was that at certain points in Anna's book, I felt as though she were writing about my own life.
Her book has given me new hope and showed me that you do not need to be bitter even if you have been treated badly yourself. I know that I have often struggled with this idea myself.
A book of real hope. Thank you.
on 1 March 2002
I bought this book after seeing it featured in the Eating Disorders association magazine and it helped me to gain a deep understanding into the mind of someone with an eating disorder. Anna describes her story from the outset with such intensity that at times I was unable to hold my self back from crying. The book is both emotional and sensational. I would most certainly continue to recommend this book to anyone who wants to know more about this disease. It helped me and I am sure it will help others.
on 31 March 2001
Anna's book was extremely emotional in several areas for me, as I have been anorexic for many years. Seeing how I too went through the same thoughts, actions, fears, struggles, feelings, behaviors, abuse, loss of control and loneliness, it really hit home for me. This disease can be scary & even deadly. The torment Anna went through shows that everyone with anorexia is NOT happy with themselves or life itself. It clearly states how anorexia began for Anna and how she struggled to survive not only physically but also with the mental anguish that she went through. Anorexia not only destroyed her life externally but it also destroyed her emotionally, both of which she describes so well.
The entire book was so truthful with the facts, clear and to the point about how it was for Anna having anorexia that I have to commend her on her honesty, strength and courage to share it with so many. But in her book there was SO MUCH HOPE. That to me was the most important part of the book and it has even given me the inspiration to fight this deadly disease. Yet it ended with such love and compassion it's indescribable. I HIGHLY recommend everyone with OR without anorexia to read this book in the hope of gaining understanding and learning the true facts about this deadly disease. Thank you Anna for sharing your experience, strength and hope with us all.
on 31 August 2001
I had heard about Anna Paterson through her work with the sufferers of eating disorders, but it was only when I read her interview in B Magazine that I realised that she had also written an autobiography. And what a truly amazing book it is.
Anorexic covers her astonishing young life, including some truly horrific abuse from her grandmother for most of her life. How anyone can behave in this way is mind boggling. As the book continues, she develops anorexia and ends up living a numb isolated hopeless life in the middle of nowhere.
The way in which love liberated her from her sterile day to day existence is inspiring, as is her tremendous courage and honesty. The sections about The Voice were particularly frightening. I can only imagine what she must have gone through. A book of hope and ultimately of real love. And it is so inspiring that she has used her experiences to help others rather than become bitter. I was moved to tears.
on 27 February 2003
Having recently finished reading Anna Paterson's "Running On Empty" and finding it very inspiring, I was amazed to discover that she had previously written her autobiography.
"Anorexic" is a very touching and involving story covering her years of abuse and her own personal recovery story. It touched on many of the issues that were covered in "Diet Of Despair" and left me feeling even more hopeful.
Her style is direct and affecting and I really felt for her as she struggled through her years of suffering. Highly recommended.
on 2 November 2001
Anorexic is an amazing books for so many reasons, but the key one for me was that it showed just what a terrible affliction anorexia really is. In an age when the illness is so misunderstood and where people still honestly believe that it is just a "slimming ilness" that girls get from watching modelsor reading books and magazines this is breath of fresh air.
In a simple clear and compassionate way this shows just what a tangled web leads to eating disorders. It may not be comfortable reading but it is honest, true and best of all does not glamourise this deadly ailment. Well done for beating the illness and helping so many others to do the same!
on 3 December 2001
Anna Paterson's book had me gripped from start to finish. I lost count of howmany boxes of tissues I went through reading it. I had no idea that anorexia was such a life destroying illness and the abuse and neglect that caused it in her case was truly dreadful. And yet the book is SO positive and ends on SUCH a happy note (I wont spoil it here but I felt like cheering out loud by the end). A great read.
on 19 November 2000
I read this novel about a month ago, and it touched my heart. Anna writes truthfully and frankly about the complexities of anorexia, and her personal battle with this illness. The novel takes the reader through her life with anorexia, the mental and physical toll it took on her, until she was no more than four stone, and dying.
I would recommend this book to anyone, as we all should know about the truth of anorexia,- that if not dealt with quickly enough: it KILLS.
I also found it particularly inspiring, as I myself suffered from anorexia as a teenager.
I thank Anna Paterson for being so honest and brave.
on 5 January 2002
I read Annas book and at the same time read a few other books that cover eating disorders, namely wasted, good girls do swallow etc. And it was SO hard to make comparison between this book and the others because in reality there is NO comparison. Anna book differntiates because it is not a glossary of extracts from other sources it give a compelling and real life account of her struggle against this illness. Anna has pointed out in her book most eating disorder are usually caused by a specific or collection of circumstances and it is a person's way of dealing with their problem, by allowing the anorexia or bulimia to take over their entire focus and perspective. And with that I am talking from experience. Anna gives a very moving account of her life and how she coped with the abuse, and most improtantly it also showed us in its stark content how she fought to overcome this illness and so she did, to the point where I decided this is for me = this is what I want to do, to fight recovery the same way, and it would give anyone the determination to go the same way. A TRULY brilliant read and trumps above the rest. This book is one of the only ones that I have read that does not resemble a reference library of glossary's and medical facts but a story that everyone could understand and relate to. Definately a help for family, friends as well as sufferers themselves.
on 7 March 2003
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found it very touching. Whilst never having suffered from an eating disorder myself, I know several people who do and this has shown me that there is much more to their suffering than I at first realised.
A very humane and affecting book, I was impressed by its honesty and moved by the author's courage. One for anyone who wants to understand these growing illnesses.