4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative
Published on 15 Dec 2008 by Foxylock

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for some
Published on 7 Jun 2012 by TinyMole

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 15 Dec 2008
This review is from: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: The Invisible Injury (Paperback)
I think this is an excellent book on the very deceptive emotional illness that is PTSD. Written for sufferers by a sufferer ( which in my view lends more credibility to a book ) this book has a natural flow to it and is written in a very readable style. There are no reams of medical details and psychological labels to baffle the reader, just facts simple and straightforward. I found the 11 case studies contained in the book helped to instill a kind of hope in me, the kind of hope that we all need on a daily basis just to keep going. This book is a credit to David Kinchin and it helped me immensely.

For anyone out there that may have PTSD and are wondering are they mad ? what can they do ? Well I would say this: No you're not mad,your body is reacting normally to an abnormal event , seek professional help and cut yourself some slack. Life is hard.Do take care...

5.0 out of 5 stars written review, 22 Aug 2009
The contents of this book led me to the realisation that during my childhood I experienced many traumatic experiences, one of which was a car accident in which I thought I was going to die. I was 5 years old. Another was an illness which caused a serious facial disfigurment and which has remained with me throughout my life. Again I was aged 5 years. Much of the rest was as a result of parental abuse.
Not only did I find Kinchin's work very sensitively executed, but I also realised that I suffered a high degree of PTSD during my childhood. I always believed that I was just a 'bad' person.
Thank you David Kinchin for this sensitive/healing book. I have made many of my friends aware of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on PTSD, 13 May 2010
J. Pendlebury (England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my husband who is suffering from ptsd after a bad accident. Written by a ptsd sufferer it is very well written for the lay person to understand. My husband found it to be invaluable and the book has greatly helped him to come to terms and understand what it happening to him. This book is a must for anyone suffering from ptsd or for anyone living with someone who is suffering from ptsd. I also read the book and now understand the complexities and can help my husband get his life back on track a little more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing book for those suffering PTSD !!, 3 April 2001
By A Customer
A brilliant book, very easy to read, concise, and aimed primarily at victims of PTSD. This book along with additional support has helped me recover from PTSD. So that I am no longer a victim, but now a survivor. An invaluable source of information and reference. PTSD is an "invisible injury", as the book quotes, and this book helps to overcome the stigma associated with suffering from PTSD, or any form of depression or anxiety related condition. David`s recent book on childhood PTSD is also an invaluable resource.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for some, 7 Jun 2012
Having PTSD is a nightmare on it's own, but this book is helpful in detailing the kind of process to expect when/if you seek help, and is realistic in its tone. The case histories are interesting and useful. From my own perspective, I did not find the book as good as I'd hoped, which is a shame - it is well written and well researched. If you suffer from PTSD following a single incident of trauma, this book would probably be a great deal of comfort and use to you. If, like myself, the trauma was over a long period of time, happening over and over again, then it was a good read, but of no real practical use. It did not help me, although I appreciate that the author originally wrote the book for people like himself - because when he suffered his own trauma, this was the book he would have wanted to read. I sure it'll be a life-saver to some people, but not, unfortunately, for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Dec 2010
This book is a must read for those who suffer from PTSD or who have a loved one or friend who has PTSD. The writer explains everything as a sufferer himself and therefore really does know how it feels and all the ins and outs of the condition. Being a sufferer myself, it has helped me and also my family/friends who deal with it also. It helps everyone concerned understand all the little things involved that are often missed out and therefore misunderstood. I know how it feels to be misunderstood and have people who cant be bothered to understand. But for those who have loved ones with this invisible injury and care enough to want and need to understand, this book is really a great insight and for me and my family, a saviour. My Mum has gained great knowledge from it and is even more understanding after reading it. It explains things that sometimes the sufferer of PTSD cannot always get across themselves. I think mental health workers and psychologists/psychiatrists could also benefit from reading this book. Excellent!

4.0 out of 5 stars post trumatic stress disorder:the invisible injury, 12 July 2010
This book was recommended to me as read for both my course and as Iam a sufferer of PTSD.
I found in both informative and written in such a way that anyone can understand and try to get to grips with this painful upsetting injury.
Written by a man that has been there done that and got the cheap T shirt!

5.0 out of 5 stars PTSD, 27 Nov 2009
A. Stubbs (England) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book, very informative if you have ever suffered from PTSD. The author has obviously done alot of research.

5.0 out of 5 stars Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: The Invisible Injury by David Kinchin, 1 April 2009
Ulla Laage "Lurifaks" (Haslev, Denmark) - See all my reviews
The book "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: The Invisible Injury" by writer David Kinchin is to my experience the best book ever for people who have been diagnosed with PTSD and related disorders from traumatic experiences - including the people who have been bullied badly.
This book is a VERY IMPORTANT documentary on the fact that people need to be taken serious and given the proper care when suffering from PTSD.
Administrations on the highest levels should read this book and take in consideration what messures to take law-wise giving the best conditions for sufferors from PTSD.

Sincerely Ulla Laage

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have Read for PTDS sufferers & Therapists, 14 Mar 2014
Very easy to read, great insight into the reality of PTSD. Highly recommended read for trauma sufferers and therapists alike, the case studies make it come alive.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: The Invisible Injury
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: The Invisible Injury by David Kinchin (Paperback - Oct 2004)