4.0 out of 5 stars Fine Achivement for Janet Aylmer
After reading a number of books attempting to write a sequal of Pride and Prejudice, I do not have high hopes on reading anymore books relating to Elizabeth and Darcy, believing that their lives together should be left in the imagination of both Jane Austen and her readers. Perhaps this is the reason why I bought Darcy's Story, and I am glad that Janet Aylmer does not...
Published on 24 Jun. 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Well researched but poorly written
I bought this book on the strength of the reviews and must admit to having been disappointed. The author has done her research well and the book ties in excellently with the original but the style of writing just didn't have any of the magic. Not too suprisingly alot of the dialogue is taken straight from Pride and Prejudice and this is probably its downfall as the...
Published on 19 Jan. 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible. Badly Written., 6 Mar. 2000
This review is from: Darcy's Story (Paperback)
I was so excited about this book when it first came out that I had it brought all the way from England by a friend's mother. Alas, my high hopes were dashed. It was like reading a poorly-written essay by a junior form student. Much of it was copied from the oringinal text.There was little content. The characters were colorless , bland and insipid. I was so disgusted and frustrated that I threw it away.

2.0 out of 5 stars True to the original - but too much like the original, 29 Sept. 2000
This review is from: Darcy's Story (Paperback)
This book seems well written, but is repetitious of the original Pride & Prejudice, right down to the same lines. I don't think I arrived at any conclusions, that the original had not driven me to. It's like rereading P & P, with the words rearranged. Don't mean to be cruel, but, perhaps this would be enjoyed more, if Ms. Austen's work is not that familiar.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting Pride & Prejudice book, 16 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Well done Janet Aylmer & Hugh Thompson! I have read it over and over again. It truly gives an insight into Darcy's thoughts, character and how he changed from being so haughty and came to love his beloved Lizzy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good..., 3 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Darcy's Story (Paperback)
I bought the book at Jane Austen's house along with the finished version of Sanditon(which I highly enjoyed). It was, as everyone has said, a bit like Jane Austen's words rearranged, but I enjoyed it because it "filled in the holes" and let us see the whole version from Darcy's side. I didn't feel that it was obligated to give background...its entire purpose was to just let us see Darcy's thoughts and feelings about his relationship with Jane, and how he felt about the other minor characters in the book. I enjoyed it a lot more than some of the other Austen "add-ons" that I have read, like Pemberley. If you want to read a soap opera, then read Pemberley, which is a sequel to P and P. Darcy's story was a little bland, but I felt that it filled in the holes.

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL!, 30 Jan. 2008
R. D. Reid "GFR" (uk) - See all my reviews
This book was a dreadful dsappointment, it is slow and dull! It copies the original text in poorer language and without the humour and intrigue. Don't bother.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not a patch on Pride and Prejudice - the original, 9 Jan. 2000
This review is from: Darcy's Story (Paperback)
I bought this a few years ago and quiote enjoyed it because of the change of perspective - Its interesting to hear the story told from Darcy's Point of view.
However I have to say that it's not a patch on P&P - it lacks the subtle touch and humor. But I leant it to a friend who is also a big P&P fan and she loved it ... - so what can I say?
Has anyone else read Kate Fenton's 'lions and Liquorice' as that is a very clever take on Pride and Prejudice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, 26 Feb. 2003
By A Customer
This book parallels Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I would read it again just to satisfy Darcy and Elizabeth cravings! =)
Not one part of the book bothered me unlike The Bar Sinister. The author did not make any changes;timeline, characters, etc. However, that is the book's weakness as well: too much of Jane Austen's own writing. I would have liked to have heard more from the conversations of the other characters. In addition, more of what Darcy saw and felt. I'm sure Darcy's powers of observation were honed despite his lack of social skills with strangers. Didn't anyone else speak to him during gatherings (his dining at Longbourn for one)?
I give it a 3 for of what it lacked, but I'd recommend anyone else to buy it nonetheless.

1.0 out of 5 stars Exact same book--different point of view, 25 Feb. 2009
Megan E. Gibbs "vainwithglitter" (Hood River, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Darcy's Story (Paperback)
This book was possibly one of the worst I've read. Not because of the poor writing, but because it is nearly word for word, Pride and Prejudice. Much of the dialogue is stolen directly from Austen's original work, and it is a mere retelling of the tale-- of everything the reader already knows.
It was terribly boring and quite a waste of time.

1.0 out of 5 stars There has got to be a better Pride and Prejudice sequel!, 16 Oct. 2000
This review is from: Darcy's Story (Paperback)
Hmmm, how to sum up this book. As a big fan of Pride and Prejudice and Austen in general it is admittedly hard to please me, although the BBC video was I thought amazing. The idea of this book was a very good one, but the author fails to get into the character of Darcy the way Austen got into the character of Lizzy. The situations dreamed up by Miss. Aylmer are contrived. She uses a large portion of the original text in her novel and in those areas where she has to create conversation herself, the great divide between her talent and Austen's is very evident.
This book does not give Darcy a three dimentional character, rather Pride and Prejudice is re-written (badly) with a few extra scenes added from Darcy's point of view, but there was no depth to the character of Darcy she created.
And what REALLY annoyed me, was that she insisted on having Darcy refer to Lizzy in his private thoughts as "Miss Elizabeth Bennett", which betrays no fondness whatsoever and a formality that grates my teeth.
This is the first P&P sequel I have read, and I am sure there are better sequels on the shelves.
My advice is that if you loved Darcy and Pride and Prejudice, don't waste your money, you WILL be dissapointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Writen in the style and form of Pride and Prejudice, 21 Mar. 2000
This review is from: Darcy's Story (Paperback)
I found this book most intriguing. I enjoyed the authors writing which was very much like the style of Jane Austen (In my opinion) and I very much enjoyed having the "holes" filled in when it came to the Pride and Prejudice Story. :o)

Darcy's Story
Darcy's Story by Janet Aylmer (Paperback - 1 July 1996)
Used & New from: £0.01