on 19 March 2002
I bought this book in mid-January and two months later I am already onto my second garment (I am a slow knitter, too). The first sweater I knitted was 'Heather' in purple Rowan Kid Classic yarn. It fits beautifully, and looks very good - I have worn it a lot since completing it. Most of the patterns have a 'one-ball' rating, meaning easy knitting. I like the way many patterns have more than one option for the neckline, or can be made as either a cardigan or sweater. There are no ground-breaking patterns in here (which is why I have only given it 4 stars), instead there are lots of classic shapes and styles. Most patterns are in one colour of yarn. The multicoloured designs are quite conservative, though 'Dunoon' is a gorgeous tartan patterned cardigan (with a three-ball rating, so it will be a mission to knit). There is a good mix of classy, smart clothes for indoor wear and chunky, cosy jumpers for cold days. The book doesn't just have cardigans and sweaters: one also finds long coats, gloves, hats and scarves. The photographs are interesting, and the clothes are modelled well, though I am not sure that I would wear a satin skirt with gumboots and a woolly jersey! All the patterns specify Rowan yarns and don't give any alternatives, which will be a disadvantage for some people.
on 11 September 2015
Huge variety of wools utilised. Range of garments for every size and taste. Fantastic photographs - I love Rowan wool and would therefore recommend this book to any knitter.
on 7 February 2015