on 23 March 2015
Fantastic little book, well written and laid out. The author knows her subject well and the pencil drawings make this an informative read.
I have since purchased my egg beater and potato masher (now you will have to buy this little book to find out why). All the points you need to know but at a fraction of the price of the big glossy books.
Delivery time was good and a small personal message from the author was well received. Thank you Jane Schofield and Black Dog Press.
on 15 January 2015
This is a really great book.
We are undertaking a renovation project on a stone cottage and doing most of the work ourselves. We both did a one day course on Lime building, but have struggled to remember all that we crammed into that one day.
'Building in Lime' has been a great guide to refer back to. It has covered every technique we have needed so far without being over complicated. It is not a coffee table book with pretty pictures and photos, but a concise practical guide that anyone using Lime will find useful.
Additionally the author also very kindly included a large letter stamp as a refund for some of the postage costs.
on 25 July 2012
This little book is crammed with very useful and practical information. I am doing some limework on an old building and this has already been a great help - many builders and building centres have little knowledge of these traditional methods in my experience so far. The book was despatched and received incredibly quickly - 5 stars+ for Black Dog Press!
on 10 August 2011
The Claymills Victorian Pumping Station in Burton-on-Trent is being restored by a voluntary charity. We are aware of the differences between lime mortars and Portland cement but this really excellent book gives us the practical knowledge to mix and use lime mortars ourselves. The book is obviously produced by a really enthusiast at a price that we can afford.
on 25 May 2013
This is a good introduction to the subject of lime. It does however only cover the use of non hydraulic lime (more traditional lime)

It is very easy to read, short and to the point. It is a booklet not a book. If you want an indepth book on the subject there are other more expensive titles out there.

Anyone who works with "wet materials" will know that the majority of practical knowledge on applying products must be learnt by doing it once you have read up on the basics. This booklet will do just that.

They also sent me 2 x second class stamps as a refund on what they consider to be a expensive Amazon postage fees. Not something you see very often.
on 27 April 2011
I bought this book(let) while attending a SPAB homeowners course a few years ago. Since then I've spent five years renovating a listed cottage and the book has proved invaluable - what it lacks in size it makes up for in content. It's probably the best practical guide that I've ever come across because it gives you the basic techniques and lets you get on with doing the job. To be fair this does involve a certain amount of hands on learning but the skills and patience that you need when working with lime are best gained by doing the job rather than reading about it, and lime is so forgiving that if you mess up you can usually start again.

Overall, I would say that if you want an exhaustive text with photographs and detailed step by step instructions then it's not for you, but if you've got a little bit of common sense and you're planning on getting your hands dirty then it's great :o)
on 7 March 2014
I bought this book on recommendation from someone who had a big interest in lime building and had bought several books on the subject. They said this one was the best, so we ordered it. We have not been disappointed, it is informative and simple to understand and now we are looking forward to putting the advice into action in our new home. A very knowledgeable authoress.
on 30 September 2013
I picked this up the other day in a "traditional" builders merchants, just on the spur of the moment. I'm a time served Gypsum plasterer who's decided to learn the art of lime work, just for the satisfaction of it.

In doing so I've been on courses and read numerous books and web sites. But this booklet I have found the most useful, easy to read (and remember!) item so far and I've not even finished it yet!
on 9 December 2012
A good guide to lime for a beginner, a very comprehensive book. Best book on lime I have bought, it is the one we read on site. It is well written with clearly labelled diagrams and very useful recipes.
on 25 April 2012
This book is most informative,gives straight forward information on the different types of lime, and explains the uses of non-hydraulic lime/lime putty in a very clear,practical way.
A must for anyone interested in learning about this beautiful material. Hobbyist or proffesional.
Hats off,Jane!