5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably vivid vignettes
Two things really fascinated me about "The Monkey King" and "Sour Sweet", the first two of Timothy Mo's novels and the first two that I read.
Published on 29 Aug 2003 by jenniferatkinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Sour Sweet
The story of a Hong Kong Chinese couple facing the challenges of moving to London during the late 1960s. A little bit stereotypical in parts but generally poinant observations of having to overcome language differences, working conditions and cultural challenges.
Published on 28 Dec 2008 by Allen Tsui

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably vivid vignettes, 29 Aug 2003
This review is from: Sour Sweet (Paperback)
The first is that, despite it now being 6 years since I read these books, I am staggered by the clarity and longevity of the pictures that Timothy Mo painted in my head. I have since found this with all of Mo's novels: the vividness of the depiction of the scenery or interiors makes me feel as if I've watched a film of the story, rather than read a book. I haven't sat back and analysed his writing to find out how he does it - and partly I haven't done so now for fear of spoiling the magic with which I remember the stories.
The second is that Mo's main characters in these two novels are unknowing innocents simply living their lives, such that the reader can see the wider implications of their actions when they cannot do so themselves. For example, in "The Monkey King" the reader is all too aware that Wallace Nolasco fits in far lower down the hierarchy of the Poon family than he thinks. Again, in "Sour Sweet", the thought of triad involvement is more often with the reader than with the characters. Often, the dramas that unfold in the stories are the result of quirky accidents rather than design - but that's what gives the stories such authenticity. Consequently, you feel as if you're a privileged observer quietly watching the characters live their ordinary lives for a few years. I could quite happily believe that the main protagonists had lived their lives like this before the events told in the story, and would continue to do so, just as naively, after the book is finished.
I thoroughly recommend Mo's writing to you if you enjoy novels that totally immerse you in the observation of others' lives - even where those lives are not always pretty. I found the "Monkey King" and "Sour Sweet" so deliciously different that I've subsequently read Mo's other 4 novels: "An Insular Possession", "A Redundancy of Courage", "Brownout on Breadfruit Boulevard" and "Renegade or Halo2". I suggest that you read them at a time when you can really indulge yourself by giving each of them the attention it deserves. These are absolute gems.

5.0 out of 5 stars should have won the booker prize that year, 20 Mar 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Sour Sweet (Paperback)
the story about the chinese immigrant population in London in the late sixties and seventies is vividly brought to life. It is a feat to bring every mood into one story-funny,sad,loving,violence,age,childhood-that you long to find the outcome,but when over regret havin finished. The characters stay with you far after you've put the book away. You savour the second reading with more appreciation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sour Sweet, 28 Dec 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars HK meets London, 9 Nov 2008
soffitta1 (Harwich, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sour Sweet (Paperback)
Have read a couple of other books by Mo, so was surprised that I had never heard of this one.

A great little find - set in '60s England, the Chen family are coming to terms with life outside of HK. Chen is a simple man with a determined wife, they decide to set up a take-away with the help of his sister-in-law. Unfortunately, the long reach of the Triads enters their lives.

Good characters with a few very funny scenes, thoroughly recommend this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good condition?, 19 Mar 2014
Mrs. W. Garner (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sour Sweet (Hardcover)
The book was not in very good condition as I had expected. Perfectly readable and cover was intact but the pages were really yellowed and brittle. Never mind was still a good read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written & fascinating, 14 Mar 2013
This review is from: Sour Sweet (Paperback)
Great insight into life behind the scenes in Chinatown - good for food lovers! Definitely a worthy nominee for Booker Prize

5.0 out of 5 stars a fine book, 10 Dec 2012
Bernard GALTIER (Somme) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sour Sweet (Hardcover)
Lovely writing, with a fine sense of observation couched in elegant prose, delicate humour (a touch of Barbara Pym...) and deep underlying irony. At the same time a sensitive insight into the lives of Chinese immigrants.

5.0 out of 5 stars tasty, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: Sour Sweet (Paperback)
If you've ever wondered about life beyond the counter of your local Chinese takeaway then this book will not disappoint.

It is a fascinating and funny portrait of a Chinese family living in 1970's London underpinned by the ruthless world of organised crime.

Timothy Mo is a remarkable writer and I loved every page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Me + Sour Sweet = Love Affair, 5 Feb 2012
This review is from: Sour Sweet (Paperback)
every few years I re-read 'Sour Sweet' and am reminded of how beautiful and clever the writing is and the insight I was given into a community/people that I knew little about. This book has made me laugh and cry and learn - and the amazing thing for me is that even years later it is still so relevant and has not aged. I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. It is a true joy. Thank you Timothy Mo for enriching my life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sour sweet, 13 July 2010
This review is from: Sour Sweet (Paperback)
I read this book at school for my A-levels a long time ago. It was as good as I remembered it.

Sour Sweet
Sour Sweet by Timothy Mo (Paperback - 4 Aug 1999)
5.24