5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!
I bought this for a friend who was moving to Canada, and when I read it before, it's absolutely fabulous! It's entirely true, all of it, and the style it's written in is funny, concise and underlines how good the British are at laughing at themselves.
Published 23 months ago by lucyyyhg

3.0 out of 5 stars s'ok but seen and read better...
A both of ethnicity which has to be read to be understood by those in the know...happy to recommend thanks...
Published 2 months ago by GeoffMackey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 5 Sep 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, funny way to discover the English, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: The How to be British Collection (Spiral-bound)
being French, I found it very useful and it did explain quite a lot about the funny way the English behave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant!, 25 Oct 2011
This review is from: The How to be British Collection (Spiral-bound)
This one is just Brilliant! I would love to tear it apart for postcards, but because of the way the text is printed this is not possible. There are some postcards available separately, though.
There is also Part Two, which is not as half as funny as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most accurate book(s) about Britain, 16 Feb 2006
This review is from: The How to be British Collection (Spiral-bound)
This is really about both collections (1 and 2) of How to be British you'll probably find this review duplicated under the other title.
If there's one book I could give to foreigners that portrays Britain it would be these two, and as someone who's interested in, and has struggled with, the problem of "what does it mean to be British?" I think these two books come closest to an answer.
Abroad, there would be no humourous books like these. The space they occupy (more and more each year at Christmas) would be taken up with philosophy but I've begun to think that this is the best way to analyse what the British are about.
I love the pointed observation of Peter Legon's writing and the dry humour and I love the detail in Martyn Ford's illustrations. Just as with the writing I feel a real enthusiasm on his part to get all the detail he's noticed into the pictures.
These books feel British as, to me, the pictures are delightfully cluttered and embody the idea of a garden shed full of all sorts of odds and ends, as well as bringing to mind such words as 'rummaging', 'kerfuffle', 'palaver', 'pottering'.
And I think it's a great achievement to cover all of Britain AND both young and old, and not just a narrow short lived phenomenon (such as Chavs).
I would recommend that you buy both these books and take them abroad with you, along with your phrasebook.

5.0 out of 5 stars a well observed bit of gaiety, 1 Sep 2011
This review is from: The How to be British Collection (Spiral-bound)
We all like this little series of vignettes, they are well obseved and fun. The book also appeals particularly to my nearly adolescent daughters who are only half British and like to notice cultural differences and comment on them. It has given us some laughs and is a fond addition to our bookcase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny!, 29 April 2013
lemonina (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The How to be British Collection (Spiral-bound)
I bought it on Christmas of 2012, after having completed two months in the UK. I found it extremely funny and I could relate to so many things I read! I loved the fact that the authors make fun of themselves, but in the same time make you love the Britons and understand a lot of things about them. And in a way they help you not feeling too bad for not understanding them everytime! :)

I think I need to buy a dozen of these and give them to my friends as gifts! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hillarious!, 18 April 2013
Mr. R. Brauer "FunkMaster" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The How to be British Collection (Spiral-bound)
It's funny to read and reminds you why your British! We bought it when we got our British Citizenship and had such a chuckle going through it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 July 2014
C. Schaars (Amsterdam, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
Very funny indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really funny!!!!, 4 July 2014
This review is from: The How to be British Collection (Spiral-bound)
I can't get enough of it! I always find something that I didn't notice the first time that I read it! I often use it as a reference to my friends if I want to describe the life in England! Brilliant - I also bought the second one

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
Great book!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The How to be British Collection
The How to be British Collection by Peter Legon (Spiral-bound - 22 April 2003)
5.24