5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent colourful photos with well written descriptions
Published on 24 May 2003 by John Warlow

3.0 out of 5 stars A Number of Sea Fish are Missing from this Book
This book is good if you want to learn about a lot of our marine Animals but I was looking for a book which would help to identify sea fish as we have just taken up sea fishing and wanted to be able to identify what we catch. Some of our well known sea fish are missing from this book including whiting and more.It is a nice book but disappointed in it's content on fish. It...
Published on 1 Jan 2010 by Valerie J. Smith

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent colourful photos with well written descriptions, 24 May 2003
John Warlow (Loughborough, UK) - See all my reviews
Having dived for the first time in the sea on the Plymouth coast, I wanted to get a book so that I knew what the animals were instead of the usual "It was a big brown fish", or "large crab". I was attracted to this book due to the photographic reputation of Paul Naylor and I can say I wasn't disappointed. The book is broken down by animal group (sponges, worms, fish etc) and is packed with top quality colour photos. Each photo is accompanied by a well written description of the animal and in many cases details unique characteristics of each group, such as how sponges reproduce and how they defend themselves. For other animals Paul Naylor illustrates the animals life cycle, such as developing from eggs to planktonic larval stage to adult etc. I found this book educational and a very enjoyable read, worthy of a space on your bookshelf, if you manage to put it down that is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Photograph Book, 25 Feb 2009
I can't really add to what others have said, It's a good book and the pictures are high quality. However from a Marine Biology undergrad perspective not enough species are covered for a comprehensive book. Still however a fantastic book with some amazing pictures!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 26 July 2008
Really beautiful book with well written descriptions of the different animals. The pictures are really well done and it's an absorbing read. If you have any interest in underwater life then I would recommend this one fully.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best general guide to british waters, 30 July 2011
Mr. R. J. West "richard west" (swansea, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great British Marine Animals (Paperback)
I dive a lot around the british coast and have been on the lookout for a long time for a good, accurate, general guide to the marine species found around our islands. This book covers all the bases. The text is interesting and informative, common names are given for species where such names exist and the photos are beautiful. Animals are split into sensible taxonomic groups, a big help when filling out my seasearch dive survey forms, with clear colour coded corner tabs to easily find the right section. Obviously a book of this size cannot cover all of the UK's 7,000 or so marine species (I would suggest you look to Hayward and Ryland's Handbook of the Marine Fauna of NW Europe if you want a truly comprehensive and much more scientific guide) but at less than a quarter of the price, Naylor's guide is both excellent value for money and far easier to use as a reference guide. I couldn't recommend this book more highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Edition, 19 Aug 2005
While this book is great for the recreational diver, not by any means are all the brirish species encountered, but most of the bases are covered.
Please note that there is a 2nd edition out now for 10.50 on amazon (at time of writing)and 15.00 rrp

5.0 out of 5 stars great british marine animals, 14 Dec 2005
this book is a damn good investment for any one interested in our cold but beautful waters

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Great British Marine Animals (Paperback)
Bought this as a gift, they have told me it is very helpful

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 27 May 2014
Great book with lots of information to help identify the creatures that you see when diving around the British Isles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good images, 18 Feb 2014
Could do with more info for the individual species, it can be a very basic book in places which is disappointing as there is a distinct lack of highly detailed marine identification books on British marine organisms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for identifying animals in our native waters, 19 Jan 2014
Very complete book with superb coluor photos. Highly recomended for those interested in British native marine life. I bought this to identify species for my temoerate marine aqaurium and I'm very glad I did. None of the other books I have purchased are anyway near as complete.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Great British Marine Animals
Great British Marine Animals by Paul Naylor (Paperback - 15 Mar 2011)
14.11