5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent colourful photos with well written descriptions
Published on 24 May 2003 by John Warlow

3.0 out of 5 stars A Number of Sea Fish are Missing from this Book
This book is good if you want to learn about a lot of our marine Animals but I was looking for a book which would help to identify sea fish as we have just taken up sea fishing and wanted to be able to identify what we catch. Some of our well known sea fish are missing from this book including whiting and more.It is a nice book but disappointed in it's content on fish. It...
Published on 1 Jan. 2010 by Valerie J. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent colourful photos with well written descriptions, 24 May 2003
John Warlow (Loughborough, UK) - See all my reviews
Having dived for the first time in the sea on the Plymouth coast, I wanted to get a book so that I knew what the animals were instead of the usual "It was a big brown fish", or "large crab". I was attracted to this book due to the photographic reputation of Paul Naylor and I can say I wasn't disappointed. The book is broken down by animal group (sponges, worms, fish etc) and is packed with top quality colour photos. Each photo is accompanied by a well written description of the animal and in many cases details unique characteristics of each group, such as how sponges reproduce and how they defend themselves. For other animals Paul Naylor illustrates the animals life cycle, such as developing from eggs to planktonic larval stage to adult etc. I found this book educational and a very enjoyable read, worthy of a space on your bookshelf, if you manage to put it down that is.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best general guide to british waters, 30 July 2011
Mr. R. J. West "richard west" (swansea, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great British Marine Animals (Paperback)
I dive a lot around the british coast and have been on the lookout for a long time for a good, accurate, general guide to the marine species found around our islands. This book covers all the bases. The text is interesting and informative, common names are given for species where such names exist and the photos are beautiful. Animals are split into sensible taxonomic groups, a big help when filling out my seasearch dive survey forms, with clear colour coded corner tabs to easily find the right section. Obviously a book of this size cannot cover all of the UK's 7,000 or so marine species (I would suggest you look to Hayward and Ryland's Handbook of the Marine Fauna of NW Europe if you want a truly comprehensive and much more scientific guide) but at less than a quarter of the price, Naylor's guide is both excellent value for money and far easier to use as a reference guide. I couldn't recommend this book more highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Photograph Book, 25 Feb. 2009
I can't really add to what others have said, It's a good book and the pictures are high quality. However from a Marine Biology undergrad perspective not enough species are covered for a comprehensive book. Still however a fantastic book with some amazing pictures!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 26 July 2008
Really beautiful book with well written descriptions of the different animals. The pictures are really well done and it's an absorbing read. If you have any interest in underwater life then I would recommend this one fully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 10 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Great British Marine Animals (Paperback)
I have just purchased this book as I live in Wembury on the South Devoncoast and want to learn more about my close neighbours! The pictures are amazing and the written descriptions are really informative and easy to read. No, it is not a university text book, nor is it an encyclopaedia of sea fish - it was never intended to be so does not deserve less than 5 stars, rate it for what it is. A brilliant read that has you running to the coast to learn more. Also look for Theresa Naylor's book, Benny the Blenny - a wonderful story for children featuring many if the photos from this book - life for Benny the Blenny off the South Devon coast - what he eats and who is likely to eat him!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring book, very detailed, and easy to read, 4 Dec. 2010
I bought this book as on a day trip to the coast I had picked up a few rocks and a tiny crab and an anemone.

I have some reef tanks full of creatures from abroad, purchased from the local pet shops, and there are many books about these. The little tank I set up for the British creatures was a mystery to me. I hoped that I would learn more about them in this book. It certainly helped me identify the little crab (now about 1 1/2 inches across) and the coral I had picked up on one of the rocks, and also the anemone. Which has since split and become two. The sheer joy of reading where to find these little creatures and the photographs of the beautiful colours of our local sea life was truly inspiring, and next year I shall go to other locations and see these tiny creatures if I can find any in the rock pools or shallow waters, as described in detail in the book.

Thanks to the author for such an informative and delightful book.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Edition, 19 Aug. 2005
While this book is great for the recreational diver, not by any means are all the brirish species encountered, but most of the bases are covered.
Please note that there is a 2nd edition out now for £10.50 on amazon (at time of writing)and £15.00 rrp

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Identification Guide for Divers, 7 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Great British Marine Animals (Paperback)
Organised as an identification guide, what makes this book so special is the commentary on the behaviour of the animals featured. And, of course, the 350 delightful photographs. Unlike some guides, there are no blurred or cloudy images here. Every photo makes it into the book on its own merit.

Great British Marine Animals devotes a chapter to each phylum: sponges, cnidarians (like corals), crustaceans, fish, and so on. Over 200 species from British seas are included. This is obviously a selection of animals you might see, and the book does not pretend to be the only guide you will ever need. However, in it is an excellent starting point to identify, and discover more about, the creatures you see on the dive, snorkel or rock pool investigation. The commonest sightings are all covered, including some animals that might have escaped your notice without someone like Paul Naylor to point them out.

A book that is a pleasure to own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, beautiful accurate pictures, helped me learn alot!, 4 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Great British Marine Animals (Paperback)
I am just a beginner learning about marine biology. I found this book extreemly useful and informative. The book is packed with large, colourful, high quality pictures which are really useful when trying to ID different species. There's just the right amount of text to inform and keep your interest each species is marked with the latin name and common names where applicable. I found this book very helpful when IDing marine species after a recent dive trip, even as a beginner i found this book really helped me. The book is split into useful easy to use sections which really helps when you are trying to find something specific. This new edition has alot more content and many more pictures than the previous edition. Thank you Paul for this beautiful and useful book!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good reference guide for divers and students, 20 April 2012
Chris (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great British Marine Animals (Paperback)
This was one of my first books I bought when I began scuba diving and wanted to identify everything that I'd seen and photographed.

It has excellent quality pictures, large sized, with a good amount of supporting information.

The only reason I've given 4, and not 5 stars, is that the book only covers the more common species you might expect to find. There are other books out there that have a much wider selection of species, but generally these are a lot bigger and more expensive, with smaller pictures.

Overall, this book is an excellent starting point. Usually if a species isn't in the book, it gives enough information for you to narrow down your search of possible species.

Great British Marine Animals
Great British Marine Animals by Paul Naylor (Paperback - 15 Mar. 2011)