5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - easy, not scary and it works!
Having tried lots of other ways to help my severely dyslexic but very intelligent oldest son, aged 8, I had almost given up. Having four young children my time is limited and so many other systems seemed to ask the impossible - and to blame you as a parent if you were simply unable to provide the sort of help that really only parents of only children can!
This system...
Published on 9 Feb 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone but a good start
I have found this book a useful tool on this road but it is not the definative answer to anything. It may help with some reading skills but my daughter has been doing this in school and home for a long time and I cannot claim it is doing any good. I was warned by a dyslexia expert that it would be a useful tool but that it does not work for everyone but neither would it...
Published on 29 Sep 2008 by G. brill

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - easy, not scary and it works!, 9 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Toe by Toe: A Highly Structured Multi-sensory Reading Manual for Teachers and Parents (Paperback)
This system is different. Yes, you do need a few minutes of peace a day, but even I can do that. There is no huge barrier to overcome - it starts with the letters of the alphabet and moves on not step by step but as it says toe by toe.
After three weeks on the system my son gained nearly six months in reading age and better still he looked forward to doing his exercises each day. I showed him the end of the book and explained that reading that was where we were going to get to - together, toe-by-toe. He wantes to make it and he can see that he can do it - little by little. Now we are two months in - we haven't reassessed his reading age but he read a whole page of Harry Potter to himself recently, just like his friends do. Nine weeks ago he couldn't read the word 'dam' or 'set'. He seems six inches taller almost!
This has a lot to do with the fact that the book also implicitly boosts self confidence - there are no huge gaps to fill, and the exercises are each only minutely more advanced than the previous one so there is a good deal of familiar territory mixed in with the new things.
I simply have no criticisms for this book. As far as I am concerned this book is IT for dyslexia. Buy it and use it!

5.0 out of 5 stars It works. Takes a year or more to complete but worth it., 24 May 2002
By A Customer
This book goes through every small step of learning to read. If you like structure and rules then this method will help. You need a long term committment as with all dyslexic progress it is slow but it definately helps. You need a helper as well as the dyslexic. Not just for teachers, I work ten minutes a day with my daughter and we have both benefitted. I feel this is something I can do to help. You can make positive progress with this scheme but you need to keep at it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 7 Nov 2003
Amazon Customer (Heywood, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I can't stress enough the difference this book has made to my son. We are only two months into toe by toe and already his reading has dramatically improved. Its the best £25 you will ever spend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for Dyslexics, 4 Mar 2006
By A Customer
Our 10 year old son has dyslexia. This book really has helped him recognise what he finds difficult, and through its structure has helped him overcome the challenges he faces, and learn how to decode new words when at school or reading at home.
We think its great and all those facing challenges with literacy would benefit from using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is no substitute, 10 Mar 2010
Patrick Carmody (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Our daughter had severe difficulties at school. When she was in "special needs", she learnt nothing, when she was in mainstream she was easy meat for the bullies. While we were fighting this, we believed what the teachers said ("English - good, arithmetic poor" and so on). When we asked "What can we do at home to help?" the answer always sounded like "well, not a lot. You can trust us to do the very best for her. But, you understand it is difficult" "Are you sure we can do nothing?" "No, really, don't worry"
This went on for years.

One day, about the age of ten (! yes, I had to check it, too, but we signed the book and dated it, so it must be right), she came home so pleased with herself. "We learned lots of new words today". So I asked "What were they?" Answer - "Elephant, Underground, Umbrella". "Hey that's really good. Show me". So she did, and she could read all the look and say cards for that day. Which would have been the end of it, except one of them was upside down. That seemed a bit too good to me. So I changed some more around. She could read all of them them upside down and sideways. At this, I became very suspicious. She could even read the three long words in a mirror. Well, I can only read upside down because of long experience negotiating across a desk with colleagues, and I can't do mirrors much myself, so that was really strange.

So I wrote down "Ground" and asked her to read it. Complete blank. OK. How about "ground" (small 'g'). Still blank. How about "Under" Still blank. So I said to my wife "This doesn't make sense" and we went through it all from the beginning. She could read "mat" (with great difficulty) and "cat" and "dog" with ease but "The cat sat on the mat" took minutes to puzzle out. "Janet and John" was simply impossible for her. So we all became very unhappy (my wife became angry "What on earth have they been teaching?")
But, cut it how you like, for all practical purposes, she had a reading age of 5 (not 6).
At that point, secondary education looked like being a bad joke.

So I asked about for advice and eventually a friend of ours recommended "Toe by Toe". Now, it did seem expensive (nearer £30 then, and we did not have so much spare money) and it looked like it would take forever. But there was no alternative, so when it arrived we started right away.

The first two lessons were a trial for both of us - she was embarrassed at being unable to pronounce some single letters and short words. And I had no teaching experience at all. But we thought it would get better. So we carried on. In the third lesson, some of the letters and words had collected the magic "three ticks". I said "Yes, according to the book, you really know these words". She was immediately sold on it, took the book to the kitchen to show mum and said "Look, I really can read all this". At that point we all cried a bit. It seems so small a step now, looking back, but from that point on, her confidence grew day by day, then week by week, then month by month.

Within a year she was reading more or less normally, and her reading ability no longer held her back. She is now studying criminology, but I am absolutety sure that, without that year on "Toe by Toe", she would even now be quite unable to read the word "criminology", let alone the rest of it.

One big advantage of the book is that it is almost impossible to guess at words. So the student really has to read phonetically in english in order to move forward. And the balance of long term and short term memory means that lessons stay stuck (unlike the look and say approaches which so many schools stil cling to). And the comprehensive teachers notes allow almost any reader to act as tutor to any student who cannot read.

If your child has a problem reading - or you want to help at home anyway - then you really should get this book. Just follow the instructions and watch your student's confidence grow. It really is worth the effort. And it can make you cry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 April 2006
By A Customer
This book is a life saver, my 8 yr old dyslexic son has improved by a whole years reading age in 3 months- 5.3 to 6.3yrs. His literacy teacher retested him at my request and is amazed. He's reading everything he can now, he even picked up the newspaper to impress his Dad! Confident booster+++.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is amazing, 2 Jun 2001
By A Customer
I used to help out with young people at my school who had problems with their reading, writing and spelling during my final year at Secondary School. This book helped all of the people who used it, and now many of them have managed to stay on at school and complete their GCSEs successfully. Anyone who has difficulties with their reading, writing and spelling should get this book, it is one of the best investments they will ever make!

5.0 out of 5 stars CONFIDENCE GUARANTEED, 14 July 2007
My son now 13years was tested by oxford prof 6 years ago for dyslexia - she recommended this book and it saved my son's educatiion.Yes YOU have to sit down together and work through the book but the outcome is out of this world.My son is now in the top set for english and i still cannot quite believe it.In primary school i was told he would struggle just to keep up with the bottom percentage of children.If you have a gut feeling that your child is falling through the education system and that the teaching is not helping then please buy,rent or get your nearest library to order a copy. My son is now a level 7 student and i put it all down to this book and the prof in oxford who told us that dyslexia is a small word for a whole range of little problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has changed my sons life., 10 May 2005
Esther Ewers "estherewers" (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
3 months ago my 10 year old son, who is dyslexic, could not read the word 'say' and was very frustrated and angry with himself. I took him out of school to teach him myself a year ago because he was so unhappy. I have spent a lot of money and time trying to help my son learn to read.
Then I ordered toe by toe and it is the best thing that I have ever done for my son! It is realy simple for me and my son to follow and after just 3 months he is reading words like 'flakes' and 'children'. Best of all he is happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true light bulb moment,, 31 Dec 2010
This book was recommended to me by a teacher and our 8 year old son,who is dyslexic, is loving it. Twenty minutes a day is all that is needed and a quiet environment. We are only one fifth of the way through and have already experienced improvement with his reading. It starts off very simple going back to the small sounds and simple blends by looking and then repeating the sound. The child has to get it correct 3 times before moving on and 24 hours has to have passed before you can retest. This is the key to it as the learnt sound is sealed in the longterm memory due to repetition rather than it disappearing in a cloud of smoke!
The frustration the three of us had been experiencing( parents and child) has gone. If you are experiencing the feelings we had been; so desperately wanting to help your child with their reading, feeling like school can't help, wondering whether private tuition is the answer but finding it hard to find someone who specialises in dyslexia, (never mind the cost!) then this is the book for you.
We have had many lightbulb moments and this book has given us a greater understanding of our sons learning difficulty. For instance we discovered 20 pages into the book that he sees the sound "sp" as "sm" and because we now know this he has relearnt it. BRILLIANT! Also he will often pick up letters at the end of a word and bring it into the middle of a word. I had no idea that this is common with dyslexia and the book forces the child to read the letters from left to right thus helping them decode the word. BRILLIANT!
Should you decide to buy this book I'm sure you will also wish to give the writer a massive hug with thanks!