Format: HardcoverChange

on 3 February 2006
This is a gorgeous book that is a must have for die hard Romanov fans. I managed to get it for far less than the published price, but I would happily have paid full price.
The biographical details are not what you're buying the book for; it's nothing new or groundbreaking on that front. It's the photographs, many of them rare and previously unpublished, that make this book what it is, and worth the money. It is pretty much solely concentrated on Nicholas, Alexandra, Alexei and the Grand Duchesses and it provides a lovely, intimate portrait of their family life. Plus, there are letters, diary entries, paintings, invitations and so on that are a touching reminder of just how real this family were, something that is easy to forget with all the myths surrounding them.
If you're prepared to spend the money on this, you won't be disappointed. It's a beautifully produced book with so many lovely photographs you just can't find elsewhere. Love, Power and Tragedy is a book I will certainly cherish for many years to come, and it is an invaluable addition to my Romanov collection.
on 11 June 1999
This is one of the best photographic books on the Romanovs I have seen. It uses rare archive materical the Communists preserved. It's like a small time travelling trip. A book worth buying if you are interested in the Romanovs or photography.
on 9 April 1998
A exquisitely illustrated book nearly rivalling rivalling Peter Kurth's Tsar. Many of the hundreds of pictures had not previously been published.Beautifully laid out and edited. Looking at the lives of Russia's tragic imperial family. Takes pride of place in my history collection. A rather emotional read.
on 18 February 2004
The format of the book, the way the pictures are displayed and the typeset, are exactly like a layout in "Royalty" magazine, which I found very discouraging. I mean, for the price, I expected a very fine display. But, because the book contains so many beautiful photographs, and the wealth of new information contained is astounding (though not without a few, I think mostly small, errors of fact), that I think it deserves the 4 star rating.
11 comment4 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 May 1998
This book was wonderfully written, perfectly compiled, and excellently illustrated. Many will learn how the last of the Romanovs lived: in elegance and simplicity.
on 3 March 2015
Gorgeous book on the last imperial family, filled with many unseen photographs and personal mementos such as drawings, invitations, etc. Stunning.
review image review image review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 July 1999
This book is one of the best books I have read on the Romanov's and Imperial Russia. While I was reading it, I actually felt I was transformed back in time to a place that will never be again. What a shame that a bunch of drunken criminals got away with what they did, I wish Nicholas had been a stronger man like is father. But his father was alot at fault, he never let Nicky even sit in Affairs of State until it was too late. Well, history is history, and it's funny how things always seem to come around in full circle.
0Comment5 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 September 2006
I can highly recomend this book as it produces a wealth of ephemera of which I had not seen before.