5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating account of Lucie Rie's life and works, 5 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Lucie Rie (Paperback)
This book is an excellent biography of the master potter. About 140 pages in the last chapter are devoted to her work spanning 6 decades and there's also a chapter on her techniques. A must read for lovers of Lucie Rie's pots! Thoroughly enjoyable!

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: Lucie Rie (Paperback)
I bought this as a treat for myself, and cannot recommend it highly enough. Updated and re-issued several times, and lastly, after her death, the book was written with Lucie Rie's collaboration. Her life story is fascinating. The daughter of a top Viennese doctor, she had a strong scientific bent, which is what gave her the edge with the glazes that she would go on to make. A Jew, she had to make a new life for herself, including serving in London during the war. She formed strong friendships, and the book contains much personal detail. The photographs are really good, some exceptionally so. They show the texture of the pots in a way that is rarely seen. Not arty photography, but conservation quality. You feel that if you stroke the page, you will feel the pot. If ceramics, or texture in any art form appeals to you, you will really appreciate this book. The previous reviewer, who bought this book as a present for his wife, did good!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 6 Nov 2011
Eddie-B (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucie Rie (Paperback)
I must make it clear that I've bought this book for my wife, a keen potter, for her birthday. I can only base this opinion on how the book seems to me as a non-potter and as a gift. It features a generous number of very clear photographs, many full page, some colour and some black and white. The lack of colour is no disadvantage as Rie's work is (I believe) noted for it's beauty of shape, form and lightness. It's quite a large format softcover book and I think will make a very good present. I'll see if I can update this review once my better half has had a chance to read it.

Update as promised. My wife (bless 'er) is extremely pleased with the book, describing the pottery pictured as "inspiring", high praise. The text is also first class. Deserving of 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Lucie Rie (Paperback)
Since Lucie Rie was one of my main inspirations at Art college, I'm really surprised it's taken me so long to acquire one of her books! This one doesn't disappoint. Beautifully illustrated throughout and plenty of information about her life and work, including techniques. Very thrilled to own a book about this wonderful lady at last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and clear guide to her work and life, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Lucie Rie (Paperback)
Comprehensive review of Lucie's life , just enought depth of information.
Clear pictures of her work and her working practice.
As a novice potter it confirmed some of my own working practices and gave me ideas for saving energy -- I am going to experiment with once firing.

Lucie Rie
Lucie Rie by Tony Birks (Paperback - 10 Jan 1998)
Used & New from: 24.98