5.0 out of 5 stars Comments from Geoff Thompson

Published on 7 Sept. 2008 by mssmith1

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Comments from Geoff Thompson, 24 Nov. 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Dogs Don't Know Kung Fu: Female Guide to Self Protection (Paperback)
I'm not usually known for writing reviews to books on self protection, and not because I'm afraid of competition, on the contrary, the more people offering good advice in the fight for better protection be better:- rather its because most of what I read on the subject is rubbish. I would never be happy putting my name to something that does not represent my own views, and that's putting it mildly. Not only are the proffered 'self defence' techniques in these manuals unlikely, they are also, very often, dangerous and opinionated. I have written some 20 books to date on self protection and related subjects so you'd think that there would be very little left for me to learn. I rarely if ever find a manuscript that inspires me or even one that offers something new, a fresh perspective, an innovative approach. Jamie's book did all the latter. He offered inspiration and sensible ( and in retrospect, obvious ) solutions to the many enigmatic 'grey areas' that had long perplexed me, a so called expert. Questions that I have been pondering upon for years were answered at the first reading of this text. So I not only commend Mr O'Keefe on writing probably the best self protection book for women on the market but I also thank him for filling in the gaps in what is, at best, a very intangible subject. What makes this book even more unique is that Jamie is a veteran instructor with thousands of hours of women's self protection under his belt, he is also an empiricist in that he has put his training to work in real life situations. Now while this may not say a lot to the lay man/woman, to those in the know, it speaks volumes. Most of the instructors out there teaching self protection have never been in a real situation and so garnish unreal scenarios with un-workable, hypothetical technique. You will get no such balderdash from this cutting edge instructor. What is offered on the menu in this text will prepare you, of that I have no doubt. Self protection in the very violent 20th century must now, out of necessity be viewed as an environmental seat belt, it can no longer be down graded as a recreational pastime that comes third down the list of priorities after basket weaving, people are being attacked and killed, every day of the week, in un-provoked, un-solicited and bloody attacks. My advice to you the reader is to take on board what Jamie has to offer as preventive measures and make them part of your life. Being aware will help you to avoid the majority of attack scenarios, for those that fall outside the periphery of avoidance, the simple, yet effective physical techniques on offer in this book will, if employed with conviction, help to neutralise even the most ardent of attackers. This is a great book that makes great sense. The best of its kind.
Geoff Thompson. Coventry

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the 5* products the other reviews suggest, 7 Sept. 2008
mssmith1 "mssmith1" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Intrigued by the title, with two daughters, a background in various martial arts spanning 20 years but no street fighting expertise, the stellar reviews that this book recieved prompted me to order. To get this review in perspective, it was quite an interesting read, and the author is clearly qualified to write the book (ex-bouncer, lots of real-world experience). However, it is a strange mix of material, not particularly well written, and in many areas quite out of date.

The book spans lots of different areas of women's self protection, from the law (now quite out of date), environment scanning (very worthwhile), some very basic suggested techniques (basically gouge the eyes), adapted weapons (stab the eyes with a biro) and some musings on psychology. It is (highly) interspersed with short summaries of published attacks on women, which really breaks up the flow of the book. Much of it is common sense, but it does encourage the reader to think about their safety.

So, not really strong in any one area, not as well written as a Geoff Thompson book, and certainly not a book that would, in itself go any great way towards keeping women safer, other than getting to think about the risk and go search elsewhere for answers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book on Self-PROTECTION, 2 April 2001
I bought this book to raise my awareness about self-defence. This book is actually more about self-PROTECTION, that is avoiding getting into a threatening situation, learning to assess the seriousness of a situation, etc. than self-defence, although it does illustrate some very effective self-defence techniques. I would highly recommend this book to any female (or male) who wants to become more aware about personal safety.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect GiFT For A Female, 21 April 2007
This book should be in every school. It will give girls confidence and put doubt into the minds of bullies and would-be rapists.

A fantastic book dealing with a terrible topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book i have ever read!, 14 April 2000
By A Customer
To say this book was good would be doing it a great injustice it is without doubt the best book i have ever read. I myself am not good with words but this man Jamie o'Keefe really puts things into plain english and what he says is true to life i am also involed in the teaching of self protection and this book to me is a bible i would recommend this and any of jamie's books to anyone wishing to educate them selves and there loved ones in self protection. i could rave on all day about this mans books but you will have to see for your selves i will say this last thing if you are going to buy just one book this year belive me this is the one for you! yours sincerely Alan Buckle (ELITE TRAINING)

5.0 out of 5 stars M from Surrey Dec-1999 Don't just buy it...READ it., 10 Dec. 1999
By A Customer
After being followed, approached and scared, I read many books claiming they'd teach me all I needed to know about defending myself. Most texts were useless to me as they illustrated impractical techniques difficult to grasp from a book.
I was disappointed and frustrated until I read, "Dogs Don't Know Kung Fu." This book is in a class of it's own. It promotes personal safety awareness so hopefully the reader will never need to use the reader-friendly techniques shown. However, if needs must, I am confident Jamie's survival techniques would give me the time I needed to escape from the biggest baddest wolf!!!!
I advise that every female reads this book. If you are a male reading this review, buy it for the women in your life....it may save their's one day. Oh....and you may learn something yourself if you're not too tough to read a book on female self protection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Girls, you NEED this book for you and your daughters too, 7 May 2004
By A Customer
I urge you to get and read this book. Don't wait another second. Why?
I was once attacked many years ago by someone I knew, a close member of my family. This person returned at a later date and tried to strangle my Mum while I was frantically trying to call the police. How I wish I had read this book then. I was 19 and I did not have a clue what to do. Sure yes, I thought I would always know what to do if I got attacked, but believe me when it comes down to it, you DON'T know.
This book has helped me to realise that despite my recent keen study and practice of martial arts, there are certain key things I should be aware of - firstly, how to avoid an attack (self protection), but also how to deal with one if god forbid it ever happened again. The book is very much based in the real world. It has also taught me ways to protect my kids, which you HAVE to know......
I was very lucky to recently meet Jamie (the author), a terrific guy who signed my copy for me - Thanks Jamie, I promise to 'stay safe' with your help.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 8 Mar. 2014
PHYSICAL TECHNIQUES SHOWED ARE VERY EASY TO LEARN BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE BOOK IN MY OPINION IS THE AWARENESS AND AVOIDANCE OF PREDATORS. EVEN THOUGH DOG'S DON'T KNOW KUNGFU IS A LADIES BOOK ON SELF PROTECTION MEN (IF THEY PUT THEIR EGOS TO ONE SIDE) WILL LEARN FROM THIS BOOK JUST AS MUCH AS WOMEN.

SOCIETY NEEDS MORE REALISTIC SELPROTECTION INSTRUCTORS LIKE JAMIE OKEEFE TO HELP SPREAD THE MESSAGE TO YOUNG PEOPLE ABOUT SELF PROTECTION AND STAYING SAFE.

A BRILLIANT READ

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore Martial Arts Hype, This Is Reality, 9 Aug. 2004
If you want a book that tells you what to do when the 'Baddie' grabs your right arm with his left and steps forward on your right, this book is not for you! If you want a book that sets down a security strategy, explains the law of self defence and the pre-emptive strike and how to cope with post trauma stress (get help!)then buy this book. Written so everybody can understand and apply it, it is not sheakesperian prose. O'Keefe is an expert in his craft and the survivor of many violent confrontations. A Martial Artist in his own right, he steers away from the idea that to defend yourself you need the abilities of Jackie Chan and settles on the truisim that 'anybody can do anybody'.Its brutal and not pretty, but entering this arena you will have to get used to this. There are lessons for men in this book, but its primary audience has got to be women. If you read any book about self defence, this should be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a must read for female self protection., 31 Oct. 1998
By A Customer
Many of us in the martial arts may have a lot of knowledge, but jamie has been willing to put it down on paper so that many people will benifit from his writing. Jamie's approach to a wide range of self protection senarios opens your eyes to the real life dangers that women face in society. The many helpfull hints in the book could save you life. Jamie O'keefe has produced a work of art. I will use this information and recommend this book to our clients.
Mark S. Hider 7th Degree Black Belt USA

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dogs Don't Know Kung Fu: Female Guide to Self Protection
Dogs Don't Know Kung Fu: Female Guide to Self Protection by Jamie O'Keefe (Paperback - 1 Dec. 1996)
Used & New from: £3.36