5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and true-to-life read about an amazing man.
Published on 24 Feb 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable and balanced account.
Published on 13 May 2001 by adam@new-tech.fsnet.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable and balanced account., 13 May 2001
adam@new-tech.fsnet.co.uk (The Wescountry, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secrets of Aleister Crowley (Paperback)
I bought this purely because of Aleister Crowley and not Amado Crowley. I mean no disrespect to Amado who is an accomplished magician himself, but my main concern is with AC. I liked the childhood account of life in England during WWII especially. In the book Amado gives an example of one of the few actual paranormal phenomena his father showed him: levitation. This sounds strange, after all AC was a Magus - however he never (as far as I am aware) claimed to do things completely impossible. The biographical account did give a new angle on AC, whether or not this was coloured by Amado's perception I think is irrelevant. If my father was as infamous as Crowley then I too would capitalise on the fact. I am aware of two similar books by Amado and when my reading schedule has relaxed then maybe another indulgence is in store. If you are a pedantic Crowley scholar or want a nice easy introduction to it all, then this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and true-to-life read about an amazing man., 24 Feb 2001
This review is from: The Secrets of Aleister Crowley (Paperback)
I have read most available books on Aleister Crowley, and I have heard what some people think about this one too. In contrast to them, I liked it very much and read it in one sitting. In the end, I don't think it matters whether the author is or is not Aleister's true son. What matters is the story which colourful and convincing. I have learned more about magic in this modest piece of work than from any of the vast and expensive tomes turned out by American publishing houses. Keep going, Amado! Tell us more.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a great read, 4 May 2001
This review is from: The Secrets of Aleister Crowley (Paperback)
This was the first of his books that I read and I found it great! I didn't know anything about Aleister Crowley before reading these books, so I never had a bias opinion about him. Some of the events explained in the book are amazing, and really opened my eyes. Once I had finished the book, I could'nt wait to get the other books. It really is a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amado Crowley, Occultism in a new Age., 1 Aug 2005
This review is from: The Secrets of Aleister Crowley (Paperback)
I found this book well written and by a author who has a good knowledge base and importantly a good sense of humor. I knew nothing about Amado Crowley before I read the book but after reading it I found that I wished to know more about his teaching. It would appear different than the teachings of other Crowley followers, but I found Amado Crowley so refreshing and eloquent that I read his other books too.
In summary Amado Crowley appears to be a breath of fresh air in the Occult world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST-READ for anyone interested in Aleister Crowley., 9 Jan 1999
This review is from: The Secrets of Aleister Crowley (Paperback)
Exploding many of the tedious myths which have gathered themselves around this truly remarkable man, Crowley's son, Amado, reveals another, humane, side to his father. In an exhilarating read, find out about the elaborate hoax behind The Book Of The Law, about Crowley's role in foiling the Nazis during the Second World War, and about how he started off modern witchcraft. An often funny and touching work, it should be essential reading for anyone interested in the great man.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fiction pretending to be fact, 20 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Secrets of Aleister Crowley (Paperback)
This book is entertaining in parts, and that is all it is. If this book admitted it was fiction it might get another star, but as it pretends to be factual information about Aleister Crowley's life when it clearly is fantasy makes it not much more than a joke. Probably the most entertaining of his books. Amado Crowley changed his name to Crowley from Mike (aka Mike Hockney) after he retired from being a psychology lecturer in Southampton. His claims in this book that he is the heir to Aleister Crowley is laughable and has been widely exposed as bogus. If you don't take this book seriously you could read it for a laugh but it will tell you nothing about the life of Aleister Crowley (despite the blatant use of his name on all of the main Amado Crowley's books to increase sales) and everything about Amado Crowley's (Mike's) ego.

Anyone with a passing interest in Aleister Crowley's life would know (and could easily check) that none of the locations, events and details that Amado makes up for his books matches up with any of Aleister Crowley's diaries and verified locations or activities.

A curio of a cult leader and nothing more.

The Secrets of Aleister Crowley
The Secrets of Aleister Crowley by Amado Crowley (Paperback - May 1991)
Used & New from: 4.43