on 14 June 2000
As an ex matelot who served 23 years in the RN I found this a marvellous read. Although primarily a dictionary of slang and containing a lot of words more applicable to Marines and F.A.A. it still provides a lot of entertainment. If you do not like vulgarity it is not for you.I have even loaned my copy to non-servicemen/women who have thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 10 January 2014
IF YOU CAN IMAGINE RUNNING UP LAUNDRY HILL IN HMS GANGES IN BLEAK WINTER MORNINGS .WE WERE FRESH RAW RECRUITS CALLED NOSSERS .THE BONEHEADS (GUNNERY INSTRUCTERS ) IN THERE BLACK GAITERS AND PEAK CAPS AND THE FAMOUS WOODEN BATTERN ,THERE BOOTS WERE LIKE MIRRORS AND IF YOU WERE DONE FORE ANY THING THEY WOULD TEACH YOU WHAT FORE .THE SHINY BOOTS WOULD CONNECT WITH YOUR SHINS ,IT HURT ...THERE NOT ALLOWED TO HURT YOU ANYMORE.... I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING MY BOOK .YEH THE TOT IS STILL AROUND I BELONG TO THE R.N.E.B.A. AND WE GET TOGETHER EVERY YEAR ITS GOOD FUN AND WE CELEBRATE WITH UP SPIRITS I HAVE BOUGHT ON AMAZON SMALL MINITURES OF 15 YEAR OLD RUM HOPE THIS HAS VOICED TO SHIPMATES THATS ONE THING NO ONE CAN TAKE AWAY YOUR MEMORIES SO LONG SHIPMATES MICHEL ETASSE GUERSEY NICK NAME FLASH BASED HONKONG 1971 -1973 WANCHI CHINA FLEET CLUB ROSEMARY TOWERS MARRIED QUARTERS HAPPY DAYS......GUERNSEY C.I.
on 12 December 2012
I am ex Navy plus I think the author gave me a hang over cure when he was on the Hecate
on 30 December 2013
This book reflects the service humour and comraderie in the Senior service and makes good relaxing reading for anyone interested in service life. The illustrations by Jack are also as ever, highly amusing if the reader understands the source of the humour. Highly recommended.
on 5 July 2010
My Husband was in the Navy and absolutely loves this books - must be good he even takes it to the toilet with him!! lol
on 23 May 2013
I "swallowed the anchor" a long time ago, and reading this book bought back a great many memories, good and bad, and gave me many, many laughs. It should be mentioned that the cartoons are also brilliant. For anyone who has served at sea or just values Britain's great naval heritage this book is a gem, and cannot be recommended too highly.
on 11 March 2015
Excellent book brought back memories of words and phrases long forgotten.
This book should be in every ex matelots collection if only to bring back memories and brighten your day.
Rick just about covers everything and tops it off with Tugs wit and humour!!
on 30 November 2010
Having spent a life time a sea and read this book I can only say that this is the penultimate vocabulry for the whanabee seaman,
yee all split the main brace,havast yee all.
on 7 June 2013
Being an ex naval person, I learned a few new words which I hadn't heard of while I was serving
Well worth a read and as a reference
on 22 February 2016
Bought this for the grandfather who served in the navy! He lost his copy a few years ago so was very happy to find a replacement.