5.0 out of 5 stars A must for literary cooks, 18 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Food with the Famous (Hardcover)
Why, oh why has this book been allowed to drift out of circulation? If you ever wondered what "white soup" was in the context of Mr Bingley's ball in Pride and Prejudice, here is your answer - and the recipe! Jane Grigson assembles a "Come Dine with Me" galaxy of past celebrities and famous characters and tells you how to cook dishes that are particularly associated with them. Arranged by celecrity, each chapter offers interesting vignettes about the characters, and wonderful recipes. This makes it a classic "dip into" book. It is also a great one for sending one off to learn more about the characters. For instance, I might never have read Zola had it not been for her amazing account (and recipes for) Gervaise's feast in l'Assomoir - describing the scene and the flow of the language, while setting out the menu, she so whetted my appetitie that I was off to the bookshop the next day! Any book lover who loves to cook must love this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting., 10 May 2014
This review is from: Food with the Famous (Hardcover)
I looked for a copy of this for ages. It's more of a bedside table book but I knew this when I bought it. Very interesting articles and recipes but I probable wouldn't use it as a cookery book (I have most of her actual cookery books which I wouldn't be without)

Food with the Famous
Food with the Famous by Jane Grigson (Hardcover - 1 Jan. 1992)
Used & New from: £0.01