Mountain Bike Guide - Wiltshire
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£8.50+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 30 August 2004
This is a good selection of rides. I've done most of them now, and have built up to doing the "megarides" in the back of the book. The ones local to me included bridleways and tracks that other local riders didn't know about and they linked together in to some of my favourite rides.
The directions are clear and they work - I rarely got lost and didn't take an OS map on the rides after I'd done a couple and found I could rely on the book, though a map would have been handy the other day when part of the ride was closed (I walked, honest officer). Handy size too, goes in a camelbak though in winter I took some photocopied pages to avoid ruining the book.
Just wish there were more rides - especially across salisbury plain and including Colingbourne Woods where there is some really good singletrack if you know how to find it. That's really my only complaint - I want more new rides. I hope another of these books will come out with more such rides in Wiltshire as I'd buy it and use it straightaway.
A good buy for mountain bikers with access to Wiltshire keen to explore whats on the doorstep.
on 14 January 2012
This book was written in 2000 so is quite old. Importantly, the routes haven't changed much in the intervening years. I've now done most of the routes and only one had a 200m section of bridleway that had become overgrown and almost unrideable, so don't worry about it being old.
As Wiltshire is more rolling hills rather than steep mountains, there's no real hard technical stuff so route grading is more distance based. A really useful feature is the route description which gives a breakdown in km of tarmac, stoney track and field bridleway/grassy track. You therefore get an instant feel for what the route is like. For the fitter, there's 5 "mega rides" which stitch together either 2 or 3 routes.
I've found the book really useful and I've used it a lot. Wiltshire has a great deal of excellent mountain biking so if you live in/near Wiltshire and you've got a mountain bike then I can't recommend this book enough.
on 29 December 2014
Great little book, small enough to fit in your bag but with lots of information to keep you on track, beware though as this book is getting a bit dated now so some of the more detailed info should be taken with a pinch of salt.