on 26 November 2000
This book explains how to engage in Buddhist meditation. It shows us perfectly how to deal with all our problems and make our lives more meaningful. I have been meditating in accordance with the book for about seven months and it has simply transformed my life! What were once problems for me are now opportunities to become happier. I am much more at ease with myself and get so much more out of life. I have deep admiration for its author. If you're interested in meditation or just want to try to find a little sanity in life, this book is perfect. However, since the book is written by a Buddhist master, there are some religious and philosophical aspects to the meditation described that will probably require some getting to grips with. Nonetheless, the book provides many wonderful practical methods for overcoming life's difficulties. A great guide to those interested in meditation.
on 29 September 2000
I bought this book when I was interested in meditation, not knowing that it was a religious book. All I can say is this is the most rewarding find in my life. What seemed to me to be a strange religion has turned my way of thinking around totally. It talks about basic Buddhist philosophy and explains cleary the benefits of spiritual practise, and invites you to put them into practise. The entire Buddhist path to enlightenment is here and there is no greater introduction. I am confident that this book will help anyone who buys it.
on 12 June 2016
The worst meditation book I ever bought. Totally misleading, plain nonsense and brainwashing instructions. I felt quite disappointed. Then I searched for the author's background and the so called kadampa Buddhism he created, visited one of their meditation centres in Europe and I was horrified. Sort of cult like prayers and activities where the followers are not allowed to read other authors either about Buddhism or meditation. Definitely something to stay away from. I will never buy another book by this author.
on 12 October 2006
All I have ever wanted to do was to meditate, and I have brought many meditation books, but none have been simple or even gave me any motivation to meditate.

This book provides all the knowledge and meditations that are needed to attain inner peace and is set up in a easy manner (it can be used by anyone from beginner to advanced).

The beginning of the book teaches us why and how to do basic breathing meditation.

The next part of the book explains why we should practice the 21 meditations in the book (which are really good).

Then in the next part, there are the 21 meditations for you to do. It is set out so that you can do one a day (or more if you wish).

What I really like about this book is that the 21 meditations are set out in such an easy to read manner. Each meditaiton provides a quick introduction to the meditation, then it provides the contemplation (for you to meditate on) and then the main point to focus single-pointedly on. It is THAT SIMPLE. And even better, at the end of each meditation, Geshe-Kelsang writes a paragraph as to how to put that meditaiton into practice in your daily life. Therefore, this book can be applied to one's whole life.

The meditations can take from 5 minutes to as long as you like. I work a lot of hours, therefore this book is vital to helping me develop the minds to get enlightened. Believe me, once you start those 21 meditaitons, your life will be better (as well as everyone else's).
33 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 August 2011
Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is a fully qualified Buddhist Master, and this becomes immediately obvious when reading his books.
The New Meditation Handbook is an essential guide to Sutra meditations raging from quite elementary up to meditations on Tranquil Abiding. This is a perfect book for anyone wishing to develop their daily practice in pursuit of the ultimate goal of Buddhahood.
No one, in my experience, explains the wonderful intricacies of Buddhist Philosophy in such a clear and simple way. This is a truly a masterful book that I feel very fortunate to have encountered.
on 19 May 2006
The book offers a good introduction to the genre of Lamrim Meditation (stages on the path to enlightenment). The title "Meditation Handbook" may provoke more expectations than dealing just with one specific kind of meditation.

The genre of Lamrim Meditation offers very helpful and structured analytical meditations to transform the own inner being when they are applied correctly.

However, there are also other types of meditations, like how to meditate without object, how to relax the mind, how to meditate on pain or how to transform thoughts, emotions, sleep etc into meditation. All these different types of meditations are not taught in that book.

Who is interested to learn other effective types of meditations I can recommend the excellent book The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche with the foreword of Daniel Goleman.
on 22 July 2013
I bought this CD today with high hopes but as soon as I started listening I was disappointed. The lady reading the book is dreary and dry, totally uninspiring and the thought of listening to her for a full five hours put me right off. From a technical perspective there is an audible "click" sound when she stops speaking that sounds like a severe noise gate, though I assume this is a bad condenser microphone. I bought this because I wanted a CD of meditations to listen to and this promised "21 Meditations" on the cover. It has none. What it calls meditations are philosophical musings on different topics. If I'd wanted an audio book to learn about Buddhist meditation the reader would still be a problem but the fact it is marketed to be something that it isn't really annoyed me. I hope I can get my money back.
on 9 May 2012
I started attending my local Buddhist Centre about 6 months ago and wanted to extend my meditation practice so took a gamble on this CD. I feel that the back of the CD completely misrepresents what this CD is about and consequently was very disappointed. It does not contain guided meditations as such and just has Lamrim Meditations as practised by Tibetan Buddhists. This was not what I was after. Very disappointed.
44 comments|8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2010
Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is a Tibetan Buddhist from the Gelug school (one of the four main schools of Tibetan Buddhism) who founded the New Kadampa Tradition (NKT). The NKT, which is a rather conservative and self-referential version of the school he came from, seems to serve many well, but others may find that relying on the teachings of one person to be rather limiting. All of GKG's texts only include his own books in their bibliography and no mention is made of other fine Buddhist writers, scholars and practitioners from the same background, such as Geshe Rabten, HH Dalai Lama, Lama Yeshe and Lama Zopa, whose work has inspired many.

If you are a member of the NKT then this book is going to be essential reading for your meditation practice but for others in the Gelug tradition, or those looking for meditations of the Lam Rim (stages of the path) type, I would recommend getting either 'Guided Meditations on the Stages of the Path' by Thubten Chodron or 'Path to Bliss' by His Holiness Dalai Lama which both cover the same material in a broader context.
on 30 September 2006
This book is wonderful! Only after really working with the meditations and learning more about the Buddhist Path to Inner Happiness I understand the value of it. It is concentrated stuff, and I spend sometimes a week on one meditation, like for example the 'Precious Human Life' meditation. I found it very uplifting and practical. Some are challenging, but that is what i like about it. It is not wishy-washy, but crystal clear and to the point. I do use the ' Transfor your Life' book as well, to compliment the 21 meditations! I can just say that this book shines!