5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing!
Published on 26 Nov. 2000 by langleydavid9@netscape.net

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful
A helpful book that will walk you through some meditations - not the most basic version of a meditation handbook but worth having.
Published on 15 Mar. 2013 by Feeling_charmed

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing!, 26 Nov. 2000
This book explains how to engage in Buddhist meditation. It shows us perfectly how to deal with all our problems and make our lives more meaningful. I have been meditating in accordance with the book for about seven months and it has simply transformed my life! What were once problems for me are now opportunities to become happier. I am much more at ease with myself and get so much more out of life. I have deep admiration for its author. If you're interested in meditation or just want to try to find a little sanity in life, this book is perfect. However, since the book is written by a Buddhist master, there are some religious and philosophical aspects to the meditation described that will probably require some getting to grips with. Nonetheless, the book provides many wonderful practical methods for overcoming life's difficulties. A great guide to those interested in meditation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very thoughtfull book, which will help you in many ways., 29 Sept. 2000
By A Customer
I bought this book when I was interested in meditation, not knowing that it was a religious book. All I can say is this is the most rewarding find in my life. What seemed to me to be a strange religion has turned my way of thinking around totally. It talks about basic Buddhist philosophy and explains cleary the benefits of spiritual practise, and invites you to put them into practise. The entire Buddhist path to enlightenment is here and there is no greater introduction. I am confident that this book will help anyone who buys it.

5.0 out of 5 stars ACTUALLY LEARN TO MEDITATE, 12 Oct. 2006
All I have ever wanted to do was to meditate, and I have brought many meditation books, but none have been simple or even gave me any motivation to meditate.

This book provides all the knowledge and meditations that are needed to attain inner peace and is set up in a easy manner (it can be used by anyone from beginner to advanced).

The beginning of the book teaches us why and how to do basic breathing meditation.

The next part of the book explains why we should practice the 21 meditations in the book (which are really good).

Then in the next part, there are the 21 meditations for you to do. It is set out so that you can do one a day (or more if you wish).

What I really like about this book is that the 21 meditations are set out in such an easy to read manner. Each meditaiton provides a quick introduction to the meditation, then it provides the contemplation (for you to meditate on) and then the main point to focus single-pointedly on. It is THAT SIMPLE. And even better, at the end of each meditation, Geshe-Kelsang writes a paragraph as to how to put that meditaiton into practice in your daily life. Therefore, this book can be applied to one's whole life.

The meditations can take from 5 minutes to as long as you like. I work a lot of hours, therefore this book is vital to helping me develop the minds to get enlightened. Believe me, once you start those 21 meditaitons, your life will be better (as well as everyone else's).

5.0 out of 5 stars Difinitive Meditation Guide, 14 Aug. 2011
Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is a fully qualified Buddhist Master, and this becomes immediately obvious when reading his books.
The New Meditation Handbook is an essential guide to Sutra meditations raging from quite elementary up to meditations on Tranquil Abiding. This is a perfect book for anyone wishing to develop their daily practice in pursuit of the ultimate goal of Buddhahood.
No one, in my experience, explains the wonderful intricacies of Buddhist Philosophy in such a clear and simple way. This is a truly a masterful book that I feel very fortunate to have encountered.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best most comprehensive course in meditation, 25 Jun. 2013
Mr P E Bellingham (parmi le Cantiaci!) - See all my reviews
Form maybe the best of teachers. I have 15 yrs experience of this book. Go with it, it will see you through, even if other books look bigger and shinier.

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 15 Mar. 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Lamrim Meditations - but not other types of meditations..., 19 May 2006
M. Jaeckel - See all my reviews
The book offers a good introduction to the genre of Lamrim Meditation (stages on the path to enlightenment). The title "Meditation Handbook" may provoke more expectations than dealing just with one specific kind of meditation.

The genre of Lamrim Meditation offers very helpful and structured analytical meditations to transform the own inner being when they are applied correctly.

However, there are also other types of meditations, like how to meditate without object, how to relax the mind, how to meditate on pain or how to transform thoughts, emotions, sleep etc into meditation. All these different types of meditations are not taught in that book.

Who is interested to learn other effective types of meditations I can recommend the excellent book The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche with the foreword of Daniel Goleman.

3.0 out of 5 stars Essential for NKT Buddhists, others look elsewhere, 2 Dec. 2010
Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is a Tibetan Buddhist from the Gelug school (one of the four main schools of Tibetan Buddhism) who founded the New Kadampa Tradition (NKT). The NKT, which is a rather conservative and self-referential version of the school he came from, seems to serve many well, but others may find that relying on the teachings of one person to be rather limiting. All of GKG's texts only include his own books in their bibliography and no mention is made of other fine Buddhist writers, scholars and practitioners from the same background, such as Geshe Rabten, HH Dalai Lama, Lama Yeshe and Lama Zopa, whose work has inspired many.

If you are a member of the NKT then this book is going to be essential reading for your meditation practice but for others in the Gelug tradition, or those looking for meditations of the Lam Rim (stages of the path) type, I would recommend getting either 'Guided Meditations on the Stages of the Path' by Thubten Chodron or 'Path to Bliss' by His Holiness Dalai Lama which both cover the same material in a broader context.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whats on the CD, 6 Aug. 2009
Michelle Wyatt York (York, NorthYorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It seems like people looking for led meditations are buying the cd. This book is not leading meditations its an audio book that means the entire book is read out. People who have sight problems use audio books. There are led meditation cds by the same author I dont know if they are any good
these are the led meditation CDs

How this helps seems people were maybe buying the wrong product!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good place to start., 24 Jan. 2011
J. Pitt "meditating1" (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this after getting a little restless of doing continual breathing meditations. The book describes 21 meditations to help you progress along the spiritual path, how to do them and how to prepare for meditation. I found it easy to follow, clear, and just enough to help me find the object of meditation without being swamped with information.
It's an ideal book to get started with, though the book Joyful Path to Good Fortune cover the same but in much more depth for those really wanting to find out more!

A real find!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

New Meditation Handbook: Meditations to Make Our Life Happy and Meaningful
New Meditation Handbook: Meditations to Make Our Life Happy and Meaningful by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso (Hardcover - 14 Jun. 2003)