5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is a fully qualified Buddhist Master, and this becomes immediately obvious when reading his books.
No one, in my experience, explains the wonderful intricacies of Buddhist Philosophy in such a clear and simple way. This is a truly a masterful book that I feel very fortunate to have encountered.
Published on 14 Aug 2011 by James W

3.0 out of 5 stars Dharma experience
I very much enjoyed this book, I know there is some people who are not convinced about the New Kadampa Tradition and I understandy why but still a good book with lots of interesting Dharma points.

Goes into much more detail about the true nature of things which are they don't exisit - this theory is a little like nailing jelly to a wall. Good luck with it.
Published 17 months ago by Feeling_charmed

3.0 out of 5 stars Dharma experience, 15 Mar 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Aug 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 10 July 2011
A very thorough book revealing the nuances of where happiness and suffering come from. Geshe Kelsang's approach is scientific in that he uses logic to carefully expose different aspects of our minds workings, and a carefully built structure to show us how to methodically use our new understandings as part of a practice that for some may be part of another path and for others will constitute a complete life path in itself. What impresses me particularly though is how the author combines this discipline and structure with a heartfelt wish to benefit others. This is a disciplined and compassionate book sensitively written to both accommodate those who may just want to shed a bit of light on their daily experience, and also for those who are using this text as a guide for their whole life. Read a bit, read a lot, come back to it when you need an answer. Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing! If you need coping tools, this is it., 9 May 2001
By A Customer
This book has become my 'bible'. I refer to it over and over again. In simple and easy to read language it takes you through the steps on how to find happiness through caring, compassion and love. It takes you away from self-centredness to introspection. The author has the ability to translate such profound teachings into a daily and practical method for coping with the very human frustrations we all experience. Not only does he give us easy access to these teachings, he also guides us through practical applications of the teachings. It has changed my life, my outlook on life, my view of the world and people. It is simply wonderful! Buy it, read it, you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, 16 Oct 2007
J. R. Handley (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
If ever a book could so beautifully convey how we can unknowingly live misguided and self-centred lives, this is the one. A remarkable and inspiring way to live a harmonious life and benefit all those around us!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finding the path to a Buddhist way of life and happiness, 19 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This book is a must for anyone interested in studying the Buddhist way of finding happiness for oneself as well as others.
By giving clear explanations and example anyone can practice the way to happiness. It is not just for serious practioners of Buddhism but also for the layperson trying to understand and re-train the mind to think happiness with a total caring mind. You can use this book to train your mind to find the happiness within yourself that also benefits everyone with whom one comes in contact. The results where noticeable not just to myself, finding the inner calm, but to others. This book is an excellent companion to life. Problems, Stress, Anger - not anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to practice loving kindness, 4 Nov 2011
In Eight Steps to Happiness: The Buddhist Way of Loving Kindness, I learned how to practice loving kindness. Before reading this book, it seemed to me that people were categorized as either a loving person or not. It never occurred to me that if someone was not a loving person, they could become one, and if they were already a loving person, they could improve. I never knew that I could train my mind, not just my brain! For example, the following quote may seem obvious, but it is only obvious after we have heard it - I never heard it before it was pointed out in this book by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. "Another reason why we do not regard others as precious is that we pay attention to their faults while ignoring their good qualities." Maybe it is just me, but I found this to be so true. Before reading this book, when I liked someone, if they did something I did not like, I began a mental list of faults that would sometimes grow so long, I no longer liked them. And what good did that do? The answer if no good. Why? Because then if I no longer liked them, there was no way I would be loving or kind to them. So much for my loving kindness. Thank you to the author. He clearly realizes just how to keep a loving heart towards everyone and has clearly shared from his own experience with anyone wishing to do the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eight Steps to Happiness, 13 Dec 2005
I have read this book so many times I have lost count and I will doubtless read it again many times in the future. Every one of us, without exception, wants to be happy. The key to finding inner peace and happiness is to look in the right place. The problem is that we normally look for happiness in the wrong places such as material possessions. This book shows us the right place to look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eight Steps to Happiness: The Buddhist Way of Loving Kindnes, 6 April 2005
William J. Overall (Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The book really does help with changing your outlook to improve your overall hapiness. There are sections of the book that are buddhist heavy and this I found to be a bit preachy but as a whole the book did exactly what it says on the cover. I did have to get over my own sceptisism with some of it early on but after taking the book seriously I really benefitted from it, I now dont feel the need to hit the guy pushing past me to try and get on the train first, and am a lot happier with life and my out look on it. Very much reccomeneded for Buddhist and non Buddhist alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A clear, beautifully presented and profound meditation book, 7 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This beautifully presented and clear commentary to the great 12th century work "Eight verses of training the mind" is a must for anyone who wishes to overcome problems in their daily life through meditation practice.
It explains the most profound and ancient Buddhist techniques for transforming adversity and suffering into deep spiritual realisation and inner peace, yet it does so in a way that is very accessible to the modern Western reader.
I particularly like the way that Geshe Kelsang Gyatso guides you through the obstacles that arise in the mind when trying to develop pure love and compassion - especially those that we create ourselves - and explains methods for overcoming these difficulties.

Eight Steps to Happiness: The Buddhist Way of Loving Kindness
Eight Steps to Happiness: The Buddhist Way of Loving Kindness by Kelsang Gyatso Geshe (Audio CD - 7 Jun 2003)
24.81