5.0 out of 5 stars An honest account of the Anglo-Irish War, 3 Mar 2010
M. O'reilly (china) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Fight for Irish Freedom (Paperback)
I am from Kilkenny City but my paternal grandparents were from Thurles in County Tipperary. They recounted to me,on many occasions, the exploits of Dan Breen, these exploits appear almost exactly as Dan honestly relates in this book. This book is very well written, it moves along at a pace and I found it difficult to put down. Just prior to reading this book I had read Tom Barry's account of his involvement in the Anglo-Irish War. They compare favourably except that Tom Barry doesn't dwell on the Civil War which took place after the Anglo-Irish War. Which I thought was a good decision, whereas Dan Breen took his account of the Civil War into much more detail, which I felt it was like 'after the Lord Mayor's show', a bit of an anti-climax. The Civil War should have been subject of another book in my opinion, a sequel perhaps. The chapter entitled 'Political Background' at the back of the book was very interesting and well researched.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dan Breen and His comrades started the Anglo-Irish War in 1919, 26 Oct 2009
Mr. Patrick J. Ryan "Paud O Riain "Eire"" (Tipperary , Republic of Ireland Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Fight for Irish Freedom (Paperback)
Dan Breen, Sean Treacy and other local men started what has now become known as the Anglo-Irish war in 1919 also called in Ireland the War of Independence. They ambushed two RIC Officers(Royal Irish Constabulary forerunners of the RUC in N.Ireland) who were escorting a consignment of explosives to a local stone quarry at Solohead Beg on the outskirts of Tipperary Town.

Dan and his comrades ordered the two RIC Officers lay down their weapons and hand over the explosives. The Officers refused and were shot by Dan Breen.

This was the start of the War and this book gives you an insight into to the life and times of Dan Breen and Ireland at that time.

The Irish Civil war followed and this led into what I believe to be the saddest episode in Ireland's history.

This eventually led to the partition of the Island of Ireland.

5.0 out of 5 stars liam review, 29 Sep 2002
This review is from: My Fight for Irish Freedom (Paperback)
It is quite a good book. It is very well described, the events of soloheadbeg, which perhaps he is best known for, are given in detail and gives a good insight into life on the run, and why they pressed for irish freedom, and the price they paid for it.It is an enduring and enjoyable read and you wont be able to get yourself away from it, until you have read it all. You hear of the events of soloheadbeg and ashdown,that soloheadbeg marked the start of the anglo-irish war and of the attempted assination of Lord French, but you dont get what actually happened, this books offers an honest view of what happened and why these events which are part of history initiated. I would strongly recommend this book for irish history lovers, and generally for people who wish to know why these men like Dan Breen, felt the need to go to war with the rulers of their country.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, unprecedented writing, 12 Aug 2007
Dermot Brannick (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Fight for Irish Freedom (Paperback)
Any one interested in Irish history or adventure stories, guerilla warfare or unrelenting individuals..this book has it all, Breen is a great writer and you will be glued to this book and very sorry when it ends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read if you like Irish history, 27 Oct 2014
This review is from: My Fight for Irish Freedom (Paperback)
Through the wonderful art of family trees etc I found out the Dan Breen is a direct relative of my husband which is why I ordered this book. Dan Breen's life must have been so hard during his struggle. I really enjoyed the book although I did find the political chapter at the back a bit hard to get my head round.

4.0 out of 5 stars Irish Independence and how it was gained., 15 Nov 2013
John Jarman (Western France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Fight for Irish Freedom (Paperback)
Dan Breen had a hard start in life and made it harder by starting the war of independence virtually single handedly. His story written by him on his recall to Ireland after the Tan War and before the Civil War makes for interesting reading and as such is an excellent precursor to a more academic investigation. Breen followed up his days as a freedom fighter / terrorist ... by getting himself elected to the Irish Dail and there he stayed for many years ... by the time he died Ireland had changed out of all recognition. A staunch republican to the end ... interviews with him can still be accessed on Youtube.
I would have no trouble recommending this to any student of the subject but be aware there is no attempt at balance this is one man's story as he saw it nothing more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Service, 18 May 2013
This review is from: My Fight for Irish Freedom (Paperback)
Excellent Service. I tried several times to get this book for my friend to no avail. My friend was delighted when I presented this book to him on his last birthday...sadly he passed away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 7 Nov 2014
Dr. D. Lynch (Hampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Fight for Irish Freedom (Paperback)
Arrived in excellent time. A very interesting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Sep 2014
Excellent book

My Fight for Irish Freedom
My Fight for Irish Freedom by Dan Breen (Paperback - 4 May 1993)