5.0 out of 5 stars Good material for parents
Published on 6 Oct 2007 by S Magraw

Bought this book I Said No!: A Kid-to-Kid Guide to Keeping Private Parts Privateand I Said No at the same time. I Said No is absolutely the best book for children who are at risk but this book is not only poor but has illustrations which would do nothing for a child's safety.
Published on 29 Jan 2012 by Hollywood

5.0 out of 5 stars Good material for parents, 6 Oct 2007
This review is from: It's My Body: A Book to Teach Young Children How to Resist Uncomfortable Touch (Children's safety series & abuse prevention) (Paperback)
I would say to anyone looking at buying this book to disregard the previous reader's review. It's a strange review from someone who must be interested enough in the subject of keeping children safe to be reading these types of books. Yes, the very subject itself is grotesque. That is true, Karen. It is difficult to think about. However, unfortunately we don't live in Utopia: children can be sexually abused and usually teachers and parents do not spot it. This is born out by current statistics. To believe anything else is naivete. I also know this because I was abused as a child and my parents or teachers did not notice. As is also usual for people abused as children, I didn't disclose to anyone what had happened to me until I was an adult in my 30s. The abuse has blighted my life and has brought me close to ending my life on occasion. I'm recovering now through counselling, and I am determined to use anything in my power to protect my own young children from abuse and the abject misery that it brings. Books like this one can help to empower children to say no - to let childen know that it's OK to say no to an adult, if they don't feel happy with the situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teach Your Children, 7 July 2005
BeatleBangs1964 (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is a book with a message that cannot be stressed enough. One major message that cannot be overemphasized is that abusers are NOT always strangers. Very young children are provided with tools of empowerment in this book and I like the direct way this serious topic of improper touching is addressed. While the illustrations are somewhat bland and lacking in color, that still does not detract from the book's main message.
I like the examples of unwelcome nonsexual touches such as enduring hugs and kisses from somebody the child either dislikes or does not know; unpleasant variations on "acceptable" touches, such as a hug that is too firm. Good or acceptable touch is explored, such as holding someone's hand and kissing someone you like/love. A good point about doctor examinations is given - although check ups are never pleasant, it is important to discuss with children why the doctor needs to examine every part of their bodies to ensure good health with no intention to hurt. That is a special case, but it still needs to be openly discussed.
Many children love to test out their new-found powers and in reading this to a group of young children and telling them to practice declaring refusal is very effective. It is also very empowering. Being loud with an abuser will undoubtedly get them to back off as predators do not want to attract attention to themselves.
The drawback is that it can be somewhat awkward to explain to a relative or other trusted adult such as a neighbor why your child refuses a hug and expresses dislike for it, but honoring the child's wishes is paramount. For example, there are numerous cases where children with autism find hugs too overwhelming because of sensory stimuli. The onslaught of sensory stimuli can be the feel of the hugger's clothing; cologne/perfume smells; feeling constricted and scratchy beards can make hugs far from pleasant or welcome. Many nonverbal autistic children who flee hugs can have this behavior explained in this manner. I knew one child who ran from a relative because the relative was loud and booming and known to swoop down on children with raucous displays of affection. The child found the noisy display frightening and annoying. From that child's perspective, the hugger's behavior looked like an attack. Although hugs have gotten good press over time, scant attention has been given to "unpleasant" hugs and the rights of people who don't want them. Then again there is the child's personality. There are people who are not overly fond of hugs and find them restrictive, and intrusive.
The words of David Crosby from 1969, "teach your children... give them a code which you can live by..." is a good summary of this book.
This is indeed an excellent book to help people protect their children from possible abuse, sexual or otherwise. It is non-threatening and having the child/children participate by adding their voices to the work make it all the more effective.
In addition to this book, I highly recommend Linda W. Girard's "My Body is Private;" Sandy Kleven's "The Right Touch: A Read Aloud to Help Prevent Child Sexual Abuse" and Cornelia Spelman's "Your Body Belongs to You" and Peter Alsop's excellent collection of songs entitled "Songs on Sex & Sexuality," most particularly the song entitled "My Body." These are all family geared and outstanding teaching tools that will certainly go far in creating a safer environment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 7 Nov 2013
Book arrived - all good. Great book for talking to children about good and bad touch and how to deal with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 2 Jan 2013
easy to use to help children and grandchildren to avoid abusive people, though not many words its quick and easy to use often.

5.0 out of 5 stars Child literature, 9 Mar 2014
Language used in book easy for child to understand and to ask questions. Colourful and held child's attention. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very straight forward and easy to understand book, 28 Feb 2013
It is a very good book for classroom sharing or for parents to talk to their children. I highly recommended it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Will not protect a child but another book called I Said NO will!, 29 Jan 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly cheap book, 11 May 2013
The quality of the book was very good and brand new but the quality of content is very basic and just about meets the purpose I purchased it for.

5.0 out of 5 stars buy today, 11 April 2013
Mrs. C. L. Wright (sladegreen, kent, uk) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 4yr old's as it is very simple to work with, it has a large pencil picture and few words but they work and my girls understood it very quickly and liked repeating the very important phases if in certain situations. There was only one or two words/feelings that weren't understandable to them but it was easy to just change it , for their age. I would definitely recommend this book for the young to understand their feelings and that it okay not to want to do things at certain times in their life. Which we should understand that too.