5.0 out of 5 stars Name the wood that old chest of drawers is with confidence!, 3 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Identifying Wood: Accurate Results with Simple Tools (Hardcover)
Clear, informative, easy to grasp. This book guides you through the seemingly complex subject of timber recognition, explaining scientific methods in such a way that they are accessible to anyone without a science background. From only being able to identify that wood comes from a tree, I can now name with confidence all the timbers in my home, from the floorboards to the chest of drawers. This book is an essential guide for anyone involved in the furniture trade, be it craftsman or furniture seller or buyer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A proper book., 5 April 2013
R.Bruce is the Guv'nor. His other book -'Understanding Wood' is most excellent. If you actually WANT to identify wood; read and be guided by what Mr Hoadley has to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars I got wood., 8 Dec 2009
J. Lowndes "Jamie Lowndes" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Upon using this book in extensive research into wood, I discovered with indisputable evidence that I indeed had wood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 30 July 2009
For years I agonised over what trees were made from, I thought I had it but then I realised that Aluminium doesn't grow from the ground and sprout leaves.

Then I came across this book and my mind was opened to wonder that is Wood.

Trees - Wood

My Table - Wood

That chair I like to sit on - Wood

Thanks to this book, I can now look at many varnished objects and say to myself, "Yup, that's wood".

Identifying Wood: Accurate Results with Simple Tools
Identifying Wood: Accurate Results with Simple Tools by R.Bruce Hoadley (Hardcover - 1 Mar 1991)
22.84