Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 April 2002
Like so many French historians, Chantal Thomas is capable of producing sharp and elegantly conceived insights of a kind that makes much Anglo-American historical writing look heavy and dull. At the same time, the reader comes away with something of a sore head, because the insights are too often buried in a prose style so abstruse as to defy comprehension. As it is a relatively short book, "The Wicked Queen" is more manageable than others of its type. And it is certainly useful for its reproduction of some of the most abusive pamphlets directed at the queen.
on 4 August 2009
This book has the feel of a thesis. It is entirely composed of examples of the shocking pamphlets published about the queen. It makes no effort to address the reasons why Marie Antoinette was singled out for such calumny, nor to draw any conclusions.
It would be a good source for those wanting a lively tranlation of the original texts.
on 22 February 1999
I thought this book was thought provoking and sencible. It is about the painful struggle of Marie Antionette, queen of France and what her people thought of her. I strongly suggest that who ever is interrested in her life and the people around her read this book for research or just for fun. I had to submit a report on Marie and her life and influencial expansion. I am a third year college student at UMass and I recieved a B+ on my paper in French History seminar/class. I got the most of my reserch in this book and found it a little shocking,to say the least. Most of the book talks about her life and the leading up time to her reign as queen. It speaks specifically of how she was misrepresented and blaimed for incidents beyond her control. My personal favorite chapter is that of chapter six when the reader learns of her blaim in her husband being unable to father her children. If you have an important report to write, I strongly recommend this book.
on 9 July 1999
What has happened to our schools???? A third year college student who can't spell "research" or "blame" correctly?