5.0 out of 5 stars Coconut oil heals the brain - who would have known?
Please note that this book is written by Bruce Fife, and not by Russell L. Blaylock as erroneously stated in the heading.

Published 22 months ago by Iona Main Stewart

3.0 out of 5 stars review
This book is interesting but requires much reading and so is not as useful as I had expected. Recipes quite helpful.
Published 2 months ago by mrs.J.Eden

5.0 out of 5 stars Coconut oil heals the brain - who would have known?, 5 Sep 2012
Iona Main Stewart (Odense, Denmark) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Stop Alzheimer's Now!: How to Prevent & Reverse Dementia, Parkinson's, ALS, Multiple Sclerosis & Other Neurodegenerative Disorders (Paperback)

This is a wonderful, life-saving book! Apart from the two books by Natasha Campbell-McBride ("Put your heart in your mouth" and "Gut and Psychology Syndrome") which I have recently reviewed, this is the most inspiring health book I have read for years, and absolutely one of the all-time best.

The book is filled with detailed, documented information about the brain, neurogeneration, how drugs, toxins, infections affect the brain, fats, cholesterol (the true story) etc etc.

The essence of the book deals with ketone therapy, or the ketogenic diet, that was previously used with dramatic curative effect with patients suffering from severe epilepsy. It is the only known treatment that can actually cure epilepsy. It has also amazing results in the treatment of ALS, Parkinson's disease, MS, Huntington's disease and so on and so forth,

Normally, the brain uses glucose for energy, but if this is not available, it can use ketones. These are produced in the blood by our restricting consumption of carbohydrates. The healing ketogenic diet consists of "eating a high proportion of fat, adequate protein, just a little carbohydrate, and absolutely no sugar."

The medium chain triglycerides contained in coconut oil provide the best means of producing ketones, Consumption of a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil can rapidly produce dramatic improvement in Alzheimer's sufferers and also, as far as I understand, those suffering from other forms of dementia, and from the diseases mentioned above.

What is disturbing is that this simple method of treatment is not already generally known or applied. We should all be eating coconut oil and giving it to our loved ones, particularly those suffering from dementia or other brain problems.

We are all urged to start eating coconut oil, working up to five tablespoons a day. (I have personally been consuming litre of coconut water every day with great positive effect on my digestive system, but this is the first time I've heard that coconut oil heals the brain.)

Over and above consuming large amounts of coconut oil, we are advised to begin a course of low-carb therapy. The amount of carbs we are allowed to consume depends on our blood sugar level. Those with a fasting blood glucose of 126 mg/dl (7 mmol/l) or greater should limit their carbs to a maximum of 25 g per day. Those with a fasting blood glucose of 101-125 mg/dl (5.6-6.9 mmol/l) are allowed up to 50 g per day. Those with a fasting blood glucose of 91-100 mg/dl (5.0-5.5 mmol/l) are allowed up to 100 g per day.

Following the appropriate low carb diet will quickly regulate your blood sugar and also normalize blood pressure, amounts of triglycerides, etc. You can change from the original diet to one permitting a greater amount of carbs once blood sugar improvement has occurred. The low-carb 25 g diet can even be used for seizure control. This latter diet is slightly more restricted than Dr. Bernstein's diabetes control diet presented in his book "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution", which allows us 30 g carbs per day, and with the added information of the wonderful benefits of coconut oil is even/much more beneficial.

Apparently ketosis test strips are available from pharmacies, so you can test your blood ketone level.

An appendix provides a net carbohydrate counter, so we can easily measure the amount of carbs in our meals and there is also a chapter with recipes, though this chapter had limited value for me since most of the recipes contain meat, which I don't eat.

It may at first present a problem for many to ingest such a large quantity of coconut oil every day, but we are given the tip that we can prepare and freeze small quantities of soup, to which we can add one or two tablespoons of the oil, according to what is needed. The soup is not intended as a meal but only as something to make the ingestion of coconut oil more palatable.

(When I first began taking it, I also added butter, peanut butter and other fats to my diet, and my digestion then ground to a halt - I have previously had considerable digestion problems resulting in at times a complete lack of stomach acid. However, I was fortunate quickly to discover that a small drink of sauerkraut juice would immediately stimulate my production of stomach acid, and now I can accept greater and greater amounts of fat, including coconut oil.)

The book also includes a mental status test and Parkinson's Disease rating scale.

Actually, I found this great book to provide a total diet solution - it is also immensely readable, comprising inspiring case histories, and at the same time absolutely erudite.

I would strongly advise you to read this book. Doing so and implementing its advice will save/heal your brain.

4.0 out of 5 stars great source, 12 Feb 2012
This book is informative and giving good insight into the precautions you can take decades before you get a brain disorder and also if you already are experiencing one now. The case studies are interesting and at the back of the book, there is a carbohydrate index for many food items that is very helpful in realizing how much carbohydrates you are consuming. Sometimes a little repetitive though in language. Definitely a great source for every age to read and enlighten about carbohydrates vs. fats.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read, 2 Jun 2014
both for preventative measures as well as slowing down alzheimers. I dint quite think its an absolute cure but its as near as damn it for your loved one to be able to maintain a decent and dignified lifestyle once again

5.0 out of 5 stars A Vital Read, 2 Feb 2014
Mrs. Simone B. Nelson "Simone Nelson" (Loving living in Geordie Land!) - See all my reviews
If you are concerned about your future 'brain' health' you should read this and take the advice. I am doing just that - fancy being given permission to eat butter, cream and even dripping - yippeee!

3.0 out of 5 stars review, 28 April 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Stop Alzheimers Now, 26 Mar 2014
A good read, especially if you have relatives with this disease, although some of the findings are slightly out of date, very useful book to read to help you in your fight against it

5.0 out of 5 stars very interesting, 21 Mar 2013
purchased this book to the insigh for my parents and only just started to read it. is interesting and understand a little more about the disease

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but Disappointing, 8 Sep 2013
I bought this book because I thought it would tell me how to help my lovely mum who has been diagnosed with Alzheimers but I was very disappointed with it. It does contain a lot of information particularly regarding diet and I understand that the coconut oil has been very helpful to some people but you have to take 3-5 tablespoons of oil a day. I spoke to the doctor about this and she said it is far too much for anyone to take and would make my mother put on weight and possibly make her sick. I'm not quite sure what I was looking for in this book (perhaps I was hoping it would give us a miracle cure) but I am very disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars No medical evidence - this is selling you false hope, 14 Jun 2013
Absolute nonsense.

Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease and the range of other dementias and progressive neurological conditions supposedly "cured" and "prevented" using the diet changes here are not preventable. In many cases we have mapped the pathological processes and structural changes in these conditions, but we have not found a way to prevent them and do not understand the underlying mechanism for the damage.

Medications like cognitive enhancers can modify the disease course by increasing the amount neurotransmitters (chemicals that help the nerve cells to communicate) in the brain, but they do not reverse the damage and do stop working eventually.

The cause of these conditions certainly seems to be due to a multitude of factors interacting. These factors include things like genetic vulnerability, head trauma, exposure to neurotoxic substances like alcohol and drugs, and lifestyle factors that increase the risk of diabetes and cardiac problems (which can result in the brain not getting enough blood, oxygen and glucose).

There is no single answer to this problem - and if there was, it certainly isn't a diet!

This is a totally unhelpful book that places blame for their condition unfairly at the door of those with these conditions and promises false hope to those fearful of dementia.

Do not buy into this - it will only leave you dissapointed. At best you will get a placebo effect. If you want to reduce your risk of dementia, then lead an active, healthy lifestyle with plenty of social and cognitive stimulation. My day job is researching, diagnosing and treating these conditions and books like this make me want to weep. Please don't pay attention to this appalling attempt to sell you false hope.