5.0 out of 5 stars You don't have a clue previous reviewer

2.0 out of 5 stars You and Me Vs The World
Published 23 months ago by jimidimi

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't have a clue previous reviewer, 6 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Notebooks of a Naked Youth: The Continuing Saga of Chatham Jack (Paperback)
The reviewer above has obviously misunderstood this novel. This novel was honestly pretty good. The style was interesting and skilful, the content was compelling. It was reminiscent of Crime and Punishment, Adrian Mole, and the Hamburg years section of a Beatles biography, whilst remaining interesting and original. I read this in one sitting, although I doubt that that's of any interest to anyone. The previous reviewer says that they were looking for "something new and original" "an author with a real story to tell". Suffice to say that this is delivered. That other reviewer was obviously not really looking for something new and original, but some nice sugary mills&boonesque pill to swallow. Blixa777 seems to be under the impression that this novel is an autobiography, despite the protagonist and author having different names. Dumbass. Neither are you 'expected' to feel sorry for the hero. The book IS sick, and the sickness made it better.
It was disorientating, deranged and deviant. I'd recommend it to anyone, because I'm flippant like that and make all the sweeping generalisations I want. Classic literature.
[I don't like the idea of rating stuff, but I'll give it five]

2.0 out of 5 stars You and Me Vs The World, 9 Jan 2013
This is a brave and outlandish book, the narrator a rather crazed (schizophrenic) and misanthropic character first detailed in the book My Fault. The naked youth of the title, William Loveday, is a victim of child abuse and the power of the book is in the portrayal of the damage such a childhood produces. The problem I had with it is its repetitive nature. Childish certainly achieves great things in producing an authentic voice, but the voice is so jarring against the world that the terse and shocking language and ideas become oppressive and then strangely rather dull. I found the strengths to be the descriptions of the often isolated characters (mostly the elderly) with whom Loveday interacts. In between the venom the narrator holds for them there is understanding and humanity.

The shift in the third part of the book from Kent to Hamburg signals the opportunity for more quirky smut but by then I was just counting the pages till the end. That isn't to say I wouldn't read more of Billy Childish's works- he is daring with his tone and subject matter and that's to be applauded. The book is incredibly difficult to categorise or explain and for that alone I would encourage people to read it. All I would say is brace yourself for discomfort and be aware you might, at times, not know whether to laugh or cry.

2.0 out of 5 stars After reading this book,your personal hygine looks godly, 28 Sep 1998
By A Customer
I thought I happened onto a real "find" when I spotted this book. Seemingly, some type of ignored, Rimbaud youth staring out plaintively from the cover... maybe this would be something new & different... an author with a real story. I was expecting to find a wealth of feeling and passion. I found a lot of boredom & wanting to get through the book just because I bought it. Some sort of desire, (except that the reader should suffer,) may have brought out some true meaning in the book instead of the excessive whining. The author put himself in all of his miserably poverty & we're expected to read the book & feel sorry for him. The only good thing about the experience is I won't ever waste my money on his "pity parade," again. Someone who writes a book about their own self-impsoed suffering as "true suffering" imaging himself to be such a "deep artist" is sicker than anything this author can impose on himself & his audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain book, 5 Aug 2011
Dirt cheap, great nick and fast delivery and that's just Billy Childish. Seriously though, top service and very reasonable. Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0753510170/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_2, 14 Jan 2013
Gesine Mahoney "muepfling" (berlin) - See all my reviews
thank you very much.
very fast delivery and my daughter was very pleased.
It was a xmas present and I haven't actually read it.

Notebooks of a Naked Youth: The Continuing Saga of Chatham Jack