5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent- Contains both Myth and Introduction to Astrology
I wasnt going to buy this book first- I had already heard the story, and didnt want to waste money on what I already knew. I found a reduced copy, so I bought it, and was pleasently surprised.

Published on 22 Aug 2006 by Shishya

1.0 out of 5 stars boring
Published 5 months ago by cattango

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent- Contains both Myth and Introduction to Astrology, 22 Aug 2006
This review is from: Greatness of Saturn: A Therapeutic Myth (Paperback)

For one, the actual Myth takes only 1/2 the book. In the 2nd half, Svoboda explains the importance and power of these Myths, and how they act as healers. He says Western skeptisism, and its attitude that anything ancient must be bad has been very bad for society, as the healing power of Myths has been taken away, with nothing to replace them.

He gives a good explanation of how these Myths work, how they get their power from the people who believe in them, and how the Myth creators took concepts from Astronomy, Astrology, Religon/Spirituality and combined them in simple stories which anyone could understand, without requiring knowledge of Sanskrit or Metaphysics.

He also gives an excellcent(but brief) introduction to Vedic astrology.

Bravo Svoboda! It takes a genius like him to bring Ancient Tales to Life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Svoboda is a brilliant writer, and a knowing astrologer., 31 Dec 2001
In Vedic Astrology, Saturn crossing the Moon in the Radix horoscope, is a crossing, that takes about 7 years, (the house before, the very house and the house after, the Moon, 2 years in each house) and it has been known, by any Vedic Astrologer, who has honored the profession, as Sade Sati, since the beginning of time.
The period of Sade Sati is considered to be a demanding period in any persons life, because Saturn comes to test your mind.
In "The Greatness of Saturn" Svoboda, through an old mythological story, will prepare you for the experience of Saturn come to say "Hello!" To you and your mind.
Svoboda, is in my oppinion, one of the best authors of Vedic Astrology. He has proven this with his book "Life on Light", with the co-author and known astrologer Hart de Fouw, and that book has not been surpassed by any astrology book, written by a westener, since then.
It opened up Vedic Astrology to most of the Vedic Astrologers today with a real grip of Vedic Astrology, and this book of Saturn is also a small masterpiece.
His view on Indian Philosophy, is well grounded as anyone can assure themselves by reading his other books on his life in India, and I can asure you, that you get your information from an authority on Indian thought and philosophy.
I would personally not have been able to digest my own Sade Sati, as well as I did, if not for the "Greatness of Saturn", and I can recommend it to anybody who are interested in Vedic Astrology, Hinduism or a story that might even be considered as the story of Job.
You will hate yourself for not bying it, if your are a Vedic Astrologer, or if you have, just the slightest interest in Astrology or Mythology.
A lot of books are given out today, claiming to be Vedic Astrology, but are in fact written through the eyes of Western Astrologers, who seems to think it is smart to incorporate Vedic Astrology into Western Astrology and Vice Versa.
This is not the case with this book. This is the real thing, from someone who has taken the time to know what he is writing about, before he wrote his book. Go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 31 Mar 2005
This gives a true insight into the physical form of this phenomenal planet.It also creates a perfect understanding of why and how Saturn affects all beings the way it does.Truly worth reading no matter what you know in astrology !

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, 10 July 2010
This review is from: Greatness of Saturn: A Therapeutic Myth (Paperback)
I absolutely recommend this book for anyone who has a genuine thirst for vedic astrology and would like to get a drop of the essence of Jyotisha. Not only does this book offer very good stories but it also explains it clearly and gives a very good indication on Sani deva (Saturn). It will create a hunger for you to learn more and gives very useful advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatness of Saturn, 26 Aug 2009
This review is from: Greatness of Saturn: A Therapeutic Myth (Paperback)
This is a specialised book for those who have a strong interest and belief in astrology - especially the Vedic astrology of India. the purpose of it is to act as a means of remedying the effects of transits of Saturn by conjunction to the natal Moon. this conjunction is serious and those who don't believe in astrology soon would, were they to examine the pattern of their lives until now, in the light of the planets - especially Saturn. This is a wonderful book and i have introduced many friends to it.Greatness of Saturn: A Therapeutic Myth

1.0 out of 5 stars boring, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Greatness of Saturn: A Therapeutic Myth (Paperback)
Sorry, I'm a fully trained and experienced astrologer, usually interested in all aspects (no pun) of the subject and I've studied myths in some detail, but this book is not for me. I bought it as "used" but I don't think it had actually been read so wonder whether the previous owner had the same experience as me. I found it to be so mind numbingly boring that I couldn't make it through a full page without losing concentration and the will to live. So, well a twice-bought book still unread!

4.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite, stunning book ..., 14 Feb 2014
Starwalker (Old Warden, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatness of Saturn: A Therapeutic Myth (Paperback)
I only gave this 4 stars because I think the format and production of the previous edition was better than this one. Somehow, the book was more flexible, easier to open and read, and the print 'sat' better on the page. HOWEVER, as for CONTENT, this book should get TEN STARS OR MORE! Absolutely inspirational, essential reading for anyone interested in the wisdom of astrology, Western or Eastern. I have read it many times, and will read it again and again, I'm sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars revealing..., 2 Oct 2012
This review is from: Greatness of Saturn: A Therapeutic Myth (Paperback)
Very well written and documented, interesting, inspiring and from the Traditional angle, very useful for recasting the "real" menaning of the ancient myth encased in mythological stories, very much alive and meningful in the present context of our daily lives.

Greatness of Saturn: A Therapeutic Myth
Greatness of Saturn: A Therapeutic Myth by Robert E. Svoboda (Paperback - 19 Oct 2008)
8.89