5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent stretching resource for serious athletes
The two key requirements for any training resource are that (a) the methodology is effective and that (b) it is explained in such a way that the user can implement it effectively, and this book comes up trumps on both counts.
Published on 26 Jan. 2004 by climber2222

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much padding & over priced
Pavel's books are full of blank spaces (he'll fill the top half of a page with a photograph or type and then leave the bottom half blank). He also uses large type and spaces deliberately in order to make the books longer than they need to be.
His kettlebell excerises are very good for the back,shoulders and hamstrings, although you should ignore his advice about not...
Published on 13 Aug. 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent stretching resource for serious athletes, 26 Jan. 2004
This review is from: RELAX INTO STRETCH INSTANT FLEXIBLITY: Instant Flexibility Through Mastering Muscle Tension (Paperback)
The methods are clearly explained with just the right amount of science, enough to understand the process, but never the less aimed at a practical user rather than a medical audience. All the stretches are also clearly illustrated with good quality photographs ensuring correct implementation.
The only proviso I would make is that the protocols required to achieve results require both mental toughness and pain tolerance, which should not be a problem for those serious about improving performance in their chosen activities, but for those simply seeking increased mobility in everday life I would recommend 'Super Joints' by the same author as an alternative.

5.0 out of 5 stars the ultimate flexibility book, 1 Feb. 2003
By A Customer
there is not much I can say about this book but superb. If you want to do the side splits, front splits and road kill splits this is the book for you. I have another flexibility book with over 250 useless stretches this book only has 36 that work....

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes... A stretching book that makes sense!, 9 Feb. 2002
Nic Oliver "Radical Coaching" (Margate, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Like all of his products, on first impression the book is pricy by UK standards. But you get a lot of high quality information for your money so it does represent value for money.
For any martial artist, dancer or individual wishing to improve their flexibility, this book is a must. It goes through passive stretching, isometric stretching, the dreaded clasp knife and has copious photos demonstrating the different stretches. I'm well into my 40s and the exercises have helped me to become a lot more flexible and to be strong in that newly extended range of movement.
Buy it.... that's all I can say.

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin!!, 13 Feb. 2010
really well explained and graphically perfect to complement the text - it works exactly as he says it does with impressive results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear guide and to the point - no jargon.......Comrade!, 15 Nov. 2011
I've been involved in martial arts since I was 13 years old. Over the past 15 years I've done some research on flexibility - mainly for my own benefit and improvement.
As an instructor, I feel that I need to be able to demonstrate techniques as best as I possibly can to give my students something to aim for and show them correctly executed kicks.
Compared to most people I would say I'm more flexible than an average bloke, but I've never been able to come within 10 inches of a side split.
So I decided to give this book a whirl and see if I can go beyond what I thought was possible (for me).

This book is clear - it doesn't baffle you with science and it's easy to apply the ideas and exercises within. It also dispels a lot of myths about stretching.

I've only had this book for a week and have only used it twice, but I'm already beginning to feel a difference.

I'm only using 4 exercises in the book - 1 for my shoulders (need to look after my rotator cuffs), 1 for my hamstrings, 1 for my hip flexors and 1 for my groin/adductors.
The sorenes that I used to experience the day after stretching is now minimal at the most. I've also noticed that I can display my current range of motion after about 15-20 minutes (not including a 5 minute general warm up). In the past this has taken me about 45 minutes to 1 hour of relaxed stretching. It has also confirmed a theory of mine that strength and stretching need to be combined in order to bring about the best results.

It's still very early on to say what effect this will have on my flexibility. However, I'm confident that I'm on the right track.

If I remember, I'll give an update in 6 months if I make progress.

The reason I'm giving it 4 stars is because of the aggressive marketing in the back of the book. Although I do understand Pavel has bills to pay like everyone else. It's just a little to gimmicky for me that's all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon door books rock., 3 Oct. 2013
I cannot understand people who complain about these books. They are well made, attractive in their format, and contain enough great advice to keep most of us a lifetime to perfect. Just buy this if you want the best teaching on flexibility out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars the anwser, 2 Jan. 2004
Michael Philip (LONDON, ENGLAND United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have been researching flexibility deeply for the last 3 years and have not found any practical and commercial books such as this one. he has gathered scientific information we have had for generations and practicalised it. well done. i am releasing my flexibility book later this year and was astonished when i saw his book supported my research, if i knew about his books earlier it would have been easier but my journey was needed. this is a book for champions by a mental champion. Buy it. It's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I have ever read on Stretching!!!, 16 April 2013
All I have to say is this book is the ANSWER.

I worked as a personal trainer, worked with some of the top guys in martial arts and personal training to find the answer of how to increase my flexibility. All these guys helped to an extent but this book has provided the knowledge to stretch further in 5 days than in all the months of practicing Yoga, dynamic stretching or doing traditional stretches. I went from having tight hamstrings and barely getting hands past my knees when doing the toe touching stretch to putting my hands flat down on the floor in the space of 5 days. Incredible.

After spending thousands of pounds and countless hours I am glad here and the full splits is finally in my sights.

5.0 out of 5 stars simple reading with humour, 25 Mar. 2014
Excellent book. It's really simple to follow with plenty of photos to demonstrate the stretch. The easy reading is made more enjoyable with the humour that is thrown in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something different, 18 May 2003
A new and refreshing look on stretching. Easy to follow instructions, and is well laid out. Good book for people looking for a different techinque.