Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 February 2011
Well, what an excellent read! After craft brewing at home for 21 years I'm now "plating out" and "sloping" like the best of them! Home kitchen has turned into a yeast lab! I have saved more than the cost of the book by culturing my yeasts only after a couple of months.
A most informative book; a must for the seriously geeky craft brewers who particularly want to move on from dry yeasts into a whole new world of real brewery yeasts.
on 21 November 2011
This is a great book for any level of brewer. It takes you through the basics for brewing beer at home, from starting and maintaining a yeast farm all the way up to what you would need to run a professional brewery, including procedures and equipment.
We use this as a constant reference and now have many of our favourite yeasts on slants in the fridge!
This is definitely not a text book, but a very practical book for hands on brewers, which suits the hobby/profession perfectly.
on 22 February 2014
I started with Brewferm kits, went to all grain, brewing Belgians and started double decocting because it sounded cool. I bought this, read it and now I'm rinsing my yeast and have just bought an aquarium kit to help oxygenate my wort. It's a fabulous and fascinating book, even if you don't brew. Yeast have to be one of the most wonderful lifeforms on Earth. I'm on my second read now, can't recommend it highly enough. It really is all about the yeast and how to look after the little ones. One thing which I found nice is that Chris chats constructively about using Wyeast, one of his competitors in the nice supportive way that seems to exist in the brewing community.
on 19 January 2011
A really good book! Very well written and containing a lot of valuable information about the fascinating world of brewing yeast. The author has also included how to perform both simple tests as well as very complex ones using specific lab equipment. It is also worth noting the section about how to set up your own lab.
However, the only downside is that the writer, being the owner of White Labs (one of the world's principal producers of brewing yeast), cannot resist promoting his own products by discouraging the reader from experimenting with his own yeast slurries; although admittedly yeast is a very delicate organism.
on 8 January 2012
Excellent book, suitable for all levels, some of the information went over my head and some info will be implemented in my next brew, recommended.
on 18 February 2015
This book served my purpose in teaching me more about yeast and homebrew practice. BUT it was hard going. This is not a well edited book. The first two or three chapters did nothing but annoy me. How many times will we be subject to a stupid chapter on the "ancient history" of beer. This book ventured more padding in a full chapter on cell structure. Accurate I'm sure but irrelevant to the homebrewer. Through the next few chapters, if you are diligent and make notes (this book is not laid out as a handy reference book) you will learn about:
Cropping Yeast
Revitalising Yeast
Pitch Rates
Preparation of Starters
Oxygenation
Temperature Control
After that the last chapters venture into laboratory work. My guess is that to learn this effectively it would be best to get some professional training. In any case this steps beyond most homebrew horizons. So three stars because I leant more than when blogging, but the authors need to focus on one audience. Here's the question mark. Is some of the advice motivated to sell more yeast? For example:
Are the yeast pitch rates put forward in the book sensible? This is hard to judge. For my 23 litre batch of ale the book suggests 160 Billion yeast cells. A sachet of commercial dried yeast contains 55 Billion, but the producers say this is adequate. Bear in mind that the main business of one of the authors is selling yeast!
The book recommends that you only reuse yeast that is less than 2 weeks old. Whitelabs yeast vials have a refrigerated shelf life of months, not weeks. How does that add up?
There is little about dry yeast. How economic it is? How sterile it is? Any coincidence that the author doesn't sell dry yeast?
on 1 July 2012
good book, well received in good time, the book is new and the subject well documented, it's written by one of the most usefull creator of yeasts for beers
on 30 June 2011
Who would have thought you could write so much on yeast and keep it all, I got this when I decided to make my own yeast bank and I dont regret it, helps you appreciate just how important yeast are to the finished product!
on 27 March 2014
I am 70% of my way through this wonderfully written book.
It is very detailed, broad and engrossing. If you ever wanted to know all about yeast and how these little critters turn dull water into wonderful beer this book is for you.
on 27 February 2015
Great book if you really want to learn about yeast and practical ways to handle and manage them. I'm a serious homebrewer and slowly building up my own mini-lab so this book is very useful. There is a little duplication in some of the text, probably could have been reorganised a little in places and given a more thorough index but these are small points. Highly recommend.