on 15 May 2009
This book is just brilliant. The early chapters ensure that the reader develops a feel for the beer making process and the cultural and historical context. The chapter on Lambic beers is my favourite, so informative and enjoyable. A week after reading it, I just had to go and sample some authentic lambics. I ended up enjoying "3 Fonteinen" basic lambic and geuze at the brewery cafe in Beersel! Michael Jackson's enthusiasm and expert knowledge are infectious. I now realise, more than ever, that you can't separate history, emotion and culture from the beer itself. The little stories of the author's experience (like the cat that guided him around one of the breweries!) are the icing on the cake.
VINE VOICEon 30 December 2013
This really is a pleasure to read and look at for anyone interested in Belgian beers. It is written in Jackson's typically informative but informal and friendly style. What a shame he is no longer with us to write on whisky, wine and beer, but he has left us a valuable legacy of which this work is an characteristic part.
on 15 August 2015
Absolutely glorious. The ultimate guide to Belgian beer in my opinion. Brilliant
on 28 February 2015