5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Book That'll CHANGE YOUR LIFE
Published on 29 Nov 2008 by love2read

1.0 out of 5 stars Well if you want a fairy story...
Published on 30 Sep 2010 by Bāki

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Book That'll CHANGE YOUR LIFE, 29 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Sidhe: Wisdom from the Celtic Otherworld (Paperback)
If you visit amazon.com there are roughly 20 reviews of this book. I was shocked, though not really surprised there aren't any reviews by Brits. Ironically,however, we are the ones who,by embracing this book and utilising its message, could be working with the mystical wonders of our own land to form a positive alliance, and positive change. These energies are part of our natural heritage, and have in-habited the land long before we humans did. If this sounds ridiculous let me ask you this : Are we, as humans so closed off and conditioned that we can't accept the possibility of another race in-habiting the world before us? We accept spirits,aura and 'energies' and many claim to accept 'the unknown', so when posed with the idea of another race which are of a different energy matter entirely, though conscious, wise, loving beings, do we accept it or question it with scepticism? We believe in Dinosaurs, because we're shown fossils and big bones. Now, John Matthews is showing us what he experienced by writing this book,and I think we should listen to the messages he received and has passed on.
This book, which John Matthews writes with such flair and warmth will open your eyes to the wonders which await, if only we would detatch from the physical constrictions of everyday life and SEARCH. There is a whole world waiting for us, ready to welcome us with open arms and show us our potential as beings, and how we can work to heal the earth and ourselves.
Matthews shares all the teachings he received from his Sidhe visitors,including exercices and methods so that you can harness these wonders for yourself.
Read with an open heart and an open mind , and your Spirit will surely follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, it changed MY life..., 29 Dec 2008
This review is from: The Sidhe: Wisdom from the Celtic Otherworld (Paperback)
If you're interested in Faerie, especially if you've always felt a personal connection with the Sidhe, this book is absolutely a must. The only truly sincere and genuine-feeling 'channeled' text I have ever come across, it's not doom-ridden or grandiose, but touching, fascinating, and inspiring, with more than just a ring of truth about it. Not only that, but the featured 'Great Glyph of the Sidhe' will open your eyes and soul to a new world and enable you to explore it yourself, and gain answers to your own questions. I don't say this lightly- this book will change your life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Well if you want a fairy story..., 30 Sep 2010
Bāki (London - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sidhe: Wisdom from the Celtic Otherworld (Paperback)
I have long been interested in the fairy folklore of Ireland and the Celtic Countries, and so I was really looking forward to reading this book when it arrived, hoping for some well researched facts on the Irish Folk Tradition. Ha! Well researched this book certainly isn't, and fact here is an alien concept. This slight volume purports to be the author's experience of an encounter with a representative of the ancient fairy race known in Ireland as The Sidhe. A term originally referring to the burial mounds, and later associated with the fairy folk who are said to dwell among them. I hadn't realised when I ordered the book that it was "channelled", but despite doubts I decided to keep an open mind and judge the content on its own merit as I have with other texts claiming inspiration from otherworldly sources. Unfortunately, however, my initial misgivings were soon justified.

The book begins with details of an apparent discussion between the author, a popular writer and teacher on contemporary Celtic Spirituality, and a field archaeologist friend of his. The archaeologist informs the author of an amazing discovery in Ireland, in which a remarkable ancient site has been discovered. Apparently the discovery is being kept secret for the time being, whilst archaeologists carry out research. Because this find is somewhat unusual, the author's friend thinks he (the author) should be given access to view the site on account of his interest and experience in the less traditional approaches to ancient archaeology, and arranges for him to visit the location.

So the author visits the site, and finds an ancient earthen chamber unlike any other yet discovered, complete with quartz crystal imbedded in the walls, and a spiral design lifted straight from a reiki manual (not that the author mentions this of course). He then has some kind of visionary experience in which an impressive elf like being appears and tells him he has a message for humanity, and that he should prepare for another meeting soon. The author sketches a copy of the glyph, and then later uses it in meditation, and eventually to open a 'gateway' to the realm of the Sidhe. Before we get the details of the second appearance of this otherworld ambassador, which occurs sometime later, the author precedes to tell us how he's always had a healthy distrust of channelled messages, and how he agonised over going to print with this material, blah, blah...

We then get details of the second encounter and the message this representative of an elder race has for us, which lo and behold, is the usual generic nonsense that passes for profound among the ranks of enlightened beings if most 'channelled' messages are to be believed. Here's a taster:

"...as long as you continue to act as if you had a warring tribe within you, you cannot be whole. Yet wholeness is what you must aim for, otherwise you will continue to fragment until there is nothing less but broken crumbs of your true selves."

Deep! Thousands of years of waiting to deliver humanity a message from the otherworld and we get this. Is it too much to expect an ancient messenger to have at least something worthy of our own philosophers to say? Rather than troubling Kant, however, what we get is the kind of material anyone doing a foundation course in New Age Drivel could write. Of course this elder being also has something to say about his would be critics:

"Even now, when the world around you teems with energy, and more of your race are enabled to see these things with the eyes of Spirit, there is constant mockery of such things. Be aware that you too, will receive such a response if you choose to share these words with others." Indeed!

For me the worst bit about this book is not the vapidity of its message, it's the nonsense at the start about the archaeological site, which co-incidentally still hasn't been discovered or reported anywhere. It appears to me to be a ridiculous attempt to provide some credibility, and to make this story seem as though it happened somewhere other than in the author's head. The fact that this would be the first ever discovery of an ancient structure decorated with crystal reiki symbols pushes it beyond the realms of the absurd. From start to finish this whole book seems to be one big fib cobbled together from various sources.

For the record, after many years of study and practice in the esoteric sphere, I'm not a classic sceptic. My critique of this book is not based on me being closed to spiritual phenomena. It is based on me being able to spot a load of hot air when I see it. This book completely tarnishes the author's reputation in my mind. It belongs in the - not quite true, but in the name of providing an alleged "teaching story" (and making a few bob on the side) we'll pass it off as so - tradition enjoyed by Messrs Castenada and Buxton among others. If you want something with a little substance on the perception of the fairies in the Celtic Countries, I suggest you read The Secret Commonwealth by Robert Kirk. This I'm afraid is only for the gullible.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting..., 9 Jan 2010
Jane L. Irving (East Riding of Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sidhe: Wisdom from the Celtic Otherworld (Paperback)
I found the book easy to read and follow a good starting point for those wishing to connect to the more spiritual side of life. I have read and put into practice much concerning traditional witchcraft and the faery realm and this as a channelled piece of work was for me a confirmation of my experiences, the glyph offered an alternative way of hedge riding (entering another realm). Remember it is a starting point thought - enjoy it, take all you can from it, and have your own journey, remembering that spirituality in all its guises is a very individual path and who knows what you might discover!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting and inspiring book by a leading authority, 22 Nov 2011
Mr. A. C. Thorne (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Sidhe: Wisdom from the Celtic Otherworld (Paperback)
Firstly I have given this five stars as being familiar with John Matthews other works I absolutely love his writing style and general delivery of what in some of his other works is complex material. This book I approached with trepidation for even though I have read many texts ranging eclectically across a broad landscape of what for want of a better term I will call the mystical, I have not to date read much about the faery realm. I have to admit that at first I wondered whether this was a fictional work and that in my initial perusal I had missed this fact. I checked the blurb for confirmation and found that this was not the case, and in fact it was at this point that I was drawn back to my original reason for picking the title during what was for me a fairly usual trawl through the joys that Amazon have to offer the dedicated book lover - my wife would more likely say obsessive. I recalled that there was no discernible reason, I was in fact drawn to the book. Having ordered it I was for a moment tempted to cancel the order as a mistake, but somehow I just didn't. Some people reading this are now, I feel sure, thinking that this chap is a little wacko, or soaked up a little too much moonshine - in my case that would actually be mead, but no I assure you that was just the way it was for me. Anyway back to the book. Having discovered that this was not an overtly fictional account I then wondered whether it was allegorical in some way, and in truth that still seems possible, but in my final deliberation I am inclined to think of the whole project as one of those marvellous accounts of interaction between realities other than the visible surrounding us in our everyday lives. At a time when so much of the accepted wisdom is in melt down wouldn't we be more likely to have meetings with those beings who we normally perceive of as populating the myths and tales of our ancient land. The truth is likely to be stranger than fiction, and if you are a little sceptical about the idea that there are other undiscerned aspects of reality that is really healthy, but what really counts is what you choose to do next. Maybe there are a couple of choices: One go back to sleep - no offence intended; Two, find out more, and this book may just be the starting point of what promises to be a great journey that will inevitably lead you inward to a previously inperceptable internal landscape and outward with new vision to view an expanded external vista.
By the way in response to another reviewers comment, I agree that too many of us Brits can be backward in coming forward to offer our opinion on such written material, but maybe there is something deeper at work; we have always been good at the considered and the reserved, hence our kinship to the esoteric and the hidden - just a thought, rather than a defence, as I don't see a need to be defensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a journey within itself, 26 Nov 2009
Yuliia Shadrina (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sidhe: Wisdom from the Celtic Otherworld (Paperback)
I have read some books on channeling, but didn't expect that this one will contain an example of it in such fascinating form. However this book gives a lot of information which is not mentioned elsewere. In fact I have to admit that it is a very valuable kind of information for those, who seek for a wider approach to the world and a universe we all inhabit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
Excellent book

5.0 out of 5 stars Dialogues between the Sidhe and the Author, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Sidhe: Wisdom from the Celtic Otherworld (Paperback)
Very interesting book. A description of conversations between the Sidhe and the author, with interesting teachings. Recommend it to anyone interested in the Sidhe.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sidhe, 13 April 2012
This review is from: The Sidhe: Wisdom from the Celtic Otherworld (Paperback)
This book is both enlightening and informative. Well written and gives an insight with depth. Definately worth owning and reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Sidhe !, 22 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Sidhe: Wisdom from the Celtic Otherworld (Paperback)
I am generally a fan of Matthews work. It was fascinating however to hear the authors researches with the faery folk and the investigation of a sacred site in Ireland.

I did laugh though at the great glyph which seemed to all intents and purposes to be a Reiki symbol - hmm, perhaps its all connected ?

The Matthews are famous for their scholarly works on the Celtic traditions, however this book was written from a more personal experiential point of view - which was interesting, as it appeared to be channeled information.

The Sidhe: Wisdom from the Celtic Otherworld
The Sidhe: Wisdom from the Celtic Otherworld by John Matthews (Paperback - 1 May 2004)