5.0 out of 5 stars The most educational cookbook ever
Published on 21 Mar. 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Miss pictures
A good cook book, with Many recepies but I miss pictures. You eat with your eyes. It is too bad, because otherwise it is good.
Published 14 months ago by Kira Larsen

5.0 out of 5 stars The most educational cookbook ever, 21 Mar. 2008
This review is from: The Best Recipe (Hardcover)
This book is written by the die-hard perfectionists behind Cook's Illustrated Magazine, a wonderful publication that prides itself on giving its readers the best of everything. The way they develop their recipes is simple: collect every version of a recipe you can find, make them all, and decide which one is perfect. Usually the best version ends up being a combination of several different recipes, and this is where the education comes in. Each recipe has a full explanation of the process they went through to reach the final version - what ingredients they tried in what measure, the effect each change had on the final product, and why they decided on a particular combination. And believe me, these people are thorough; one cake recipe combines techniques used by two different bakers who lived two centuries apart!

The best part is how they often get into the actual chemistry of cooking (especially in the baking section), so that it is far more than a collection of recipes, it is a cooking master class. I have often looked up a recipe only to get completely absorbed in the fascinating process of how cooking works and ended up reading an entire chapter. I have had my copy for years and I still learn something new every time I open it.

While they can occasionally go a bit overboard on the number of steps they require to reach perfection, most of the recipes are quite manageable by anyone - and it is great to know that you always have access to the tried-and-true best version of a certain recipe, even if you decide to cut a few corners now and then, or alter a recipe to fit your own tastes.

Anyone who enjoys cooking will find this book both fascinating and educational. It's also a real confidence builder, like having an expert chef at your side explaining things as you go. And needless to say, the recipes are fabulous!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent reasoning, fantastic food, 14 July 2006
This review is from: The Best Recipe (Hardcover)
You're looking for a decent cook book that offers something that stands out from the hundreds of titles on offer.

This book, in my humble opinion, is awesome because as a young aspiring chef with basic culinary skills and a thirst for knowledge, it offers everything I need.

Almost every immediately recognisable dish we love and enjoy on a daily basis is in here. The only difference is they have painstakingly cooked away and tested to scientific accuracy the best way to pull it off.

Written in a casual yet insightful manner the author goes through blunders and successes to explain WHY you should do what the book suggests without ever being condescending.

The amount of content is staggering and I found it very, very interesting and my level of cooking has gone from (in all honesty) zero to almost hero.

There isn't 5 hours of preparation to these meals. They have been designed to be cooked by someone with a life outside the kitchen but a sheer love for good food.

Only downside is it's written for an American audience of course, thus there are references to American manufactures and produce companies. But let's face it, if that's the only qualm they must have done something right!!

In brief: Easy instructions, intelligent reasoning and absolutely fantastic food. Add to Basket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 15 Nov. 2005
This review is from: The Best Recipe (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic cookbook, almost certainly the best I have ever bought; as an untrained cook, it took me through the standard recipies (many of which I already knew), improved on them and explained why. No only did my cooking improve but I now have a much better feel for food and its preparation and this has improved many of my other dishes. - This is a great book for novice to moderately experienced cooks. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Kitchen Companion, 7 Feb. 2014
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Best Recipe (Hardcover)
Cook's Illustated gives us a master's cooking class with every magazine. This is the ultimate in food preparation.
Founder and Editor Christopher Kimball writes a superb editorial. This issue he expounded on a family funeral that ended as a real Thanksgiving dinner. He has a way with words as he does with food. He loves, food, family and cooking- as do I!

This issue continues with "Quick Tips" from readers. Who would have thought to put milk in the bottom of your coffee carafe, resulting in a pot of steaming hot coffee with milk? Or how to really clean your cheese grater.

And then on to recipes for chicken and rice Indian-style, juicy weeknight pork chops, provencal pizza, spinach lasagna, perfecting baklava and better orange salads. On to finding the perfect brownie- chewy, not-over-the-top, yet chocolatey brownie. The baker tired many recipes until she perfected this recipe for us!

A tasting of nine "dark" chocolates revealed an industry with little regulation and two widely available and inexpensive brands that beat out the pricier competition. No, I am not going to tell you which brands are best-you will need to find out for yourself.

What makes a better baking pan-you can spend from $9 to $95 does more money buy you a better pan? Ah Ha..

And finally "Kitchen Notes" test results, buying tips and advice related to stories past and present, directly from the test kitchen.

You cannot go wrong with this magazine. I share it with friends. I give subscriptions as a gift. I read it from cover to cover. I try the recipes- making the brownies as I write....No home should be without this Cook's Illustrated magazine. prisrob

Recommended. prisrob 02-07-14

5.0 out of 5 stars The ONLY cookbook I use., 20 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Best Recipe (Hardcover)
My husband and I received this as a gift from my mother - a die hard Cooks Illustrated fan. It sat around on our counter for a while and we finally used it one night to roast a chicken. Since then we have been hooked and it now proudly sits in our kitchen covered in grease stains with the cover barely hanging on by a thread. I can honestly say that I have never had a bad dish of the recipes I've tried - all are amazing and I get lots of compliments from dinner guests each time. This is coming from someone who before using this book could really only make macaroni and cheese out of the box. Honestly, if you can read, you can make any of these recipes and you will feel like a true chef, even if you have basic or no skills. It gives very specific and easy to follow directions, with illustrations, for all of the essential basics and beyond of cooking and baking. Don't know how to brine a chicken? Don't worry it tells you exactly how. Don't know how to properly select a particular cut of meat? Don't worry, it tells you how. The book is great for savory, soups, desserts, baking, you name it.

If you're looking for a book with pretty pictures of final dishes, this book isn't for you. If you want to learn skills that you can use over and over again and make some amazing dishes, this is for you. You cannot go wrong with this cookbook - you honestly can get rid of all of your other cookbooks.

Note: Cooking temperatures are all in farenheit because it's an American cookbook. I have no idea if there's a version that gives the temps in celcius. I'm American and now live in London and I have to convert the temps each time to celcius, but I don't care, it's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to buy my Dad a second copy, 2 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Best Recipe (Hardcover)
I must admit that I like this book as much to read as I do too cook from. The descriptions are very informative, and save a lot of time for anyone who likes to tweak recipies, as it mentions why things were done in some ways and not others. The recipies are consistently good or better (except when I burn them, but I'll get to that).

You will need to invest in a set of measuring cups and some scales which will do imperial (or do conversions yourself before hand), you will also need to sit down before hand to convert all the tempratures from farenheight and then knock of about 20 if you have a fan oven. I sometimes forget about the fan oven part.

Generally, the recipies are not hard though, so I'd recomend it to people at pretty much any level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever cookbook. It not only tells you how, but also why!, 14 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Best Recipe (Hardcover)
A very enlightening cookbook. It doesn't only tells you what to do in order to make a dish, but also explains why and the rationale behind certain steps. It's extremely useful for anyone who doesn't want to blindly follow procedures and is eager to create their own flavours.

The only disappointments are: (1) Measurements and terminologies are in US terms. (2) Some cookware & food brand recommendations are again limited to US.

Was tempted to give it a 4-star rating. But there's nothing similar published in the UK (What a shame!), leaving this book still the BEST BEST BEST ever cookbook you can find in the UK.

Highly recommended! Even it may be a bit of pain to look up conversion table & google, it's still the BEST cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best cookbooks you'll ever own, 20 April 2011
This review is from: The Best Recipe (Hardcover)
full of traditional american recipes, this one is not to miss. If you want to know why this recipe is the best recipe, you can read about how this perfect recipe came about. The scientific approach (which you can also skip reading) provides you with non-failure recipes. It also provides tutorials in technical skills, which brands gave the best results (sadly only american brands, but still) and hall of shames :)
The illustrations are clear and the descriptions very accurate. On top of that it's very well designed and illustrated, very pleasing to the eye. This one a keeper and will pass on to future generations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever. But why is not the customer service answer questions so I can buy more?, 11 April 2014
This review is from: The Best Recipe (Hardcover)
The best book för cooking ever. I have a Project for every recipe in the book. It is research about recipe and I Always have longed for that instead of recipes that don't work out. I want to buy their book about cooking skills. But my problem is that the customer service don't answer my mails. Special my mail about curios use of codes and double login. Got answer from the forum that other persons have similar problems. Why so silent amazon,co.uk?

5.0 out of 5 stars The best overall cookbook, 7 Oct. 2010
henrytow (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Recipe (Hardcover)
For cooks of all sorts, for all sorts of food, this is not only the reference book of choice but a source for imaginative, interesting recipes.
Amateur cooks, serious cooks, and everyone between should have this cookbook.

The Best Recipe
The Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine (Hardcover - 2 Jun. 2005)