on 17 March 1999
Like a Time Machine, Fire in the Streets catapulted me 31 years back into the battle for Hue City. Eric Hammel's account is a historical, vividly accurate account of what every Marine would surely describe as their time in hell. It certainly was mine. Mr. Hammel's research enabled me to know the why's and the where's of my unit's activities, and gave me a much broader understanding of what the grunt Marine accomplished in the month long house to house fight. This is an excellent book!
Dennis Freed, Lima 3/5 WIA 2/24/68 - Hue City
on 8 July 1997
I was temporarily assigned to the Fifth Marine Regiment Combat Control Center from my parent unit - the 7th Comm Battalion. I was not supposed to be involved in the kind of infantry fighting that took place there. My job was to work at the Regimental level in combat net communications but the intensity of the battle in Hue City changed all of that. I went in with Hotel Company on the first of February and came out with what was left of it on the 25th. My regret to this day is that I was not a permanent member of Hotel company, just temporarily assigned. Shortly after the battle, I was moved on by 7th Comm to another assignment.
This book is absolutely accurate in its record of the fighting in Hue.
It is incredible that Hammel could achieve the detail he did.
Anyone wanting an explicit description of the fiercest battle and longest battle of the Vietnam War should read this book.
Anyone studying the Vietnam War or The General Uprising should read this book.
Absolutely the best.
on 12 July 2011
This is a stunning description of the battle for Hue from start to finish by a master story teller. The political decisions that did so much to hamper the Marines are vividly told and the action in the book is non stop. The author pieces together the battle as viewed from the individual Marine perspective and there is no finer testiment, in my view, to the fighting ability of America's finest warriors, the United States Marine Corps.