5.0 out of 5 stars The best Book on Fitting On the Market Today
Published on 7 July 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Good as far as it goes, which isn't far enough.
First of all, I must say that I've heard excellent reviews of this fitting method, and the courses on this method are all booked up months in advance. It's safe to say I've not heard any complaints about the courses, either. So I thought, surely the book will be helpful until I can get on a course.

Well, it would be if I had someone to help me. The assistance...
Published on 26 Aug 2011 by Lizzie Burgess

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Book on Fitting On the Market Today, 7 July 1998
By A Customer
I have been sewing for over 50 years. The one thing that always bugged me over the years was pattern fitting. I soon found out that I was not a standard fit when the bodices of dresses did not meet across the chest and the front waistlines were up around my ribcage. I had a larger than a b cup bra. It wasn't until recent years that I was told that patterns were only drafted for b cup bras. Over the years, by observing patterns and body shapes, reading books, (not many available years ago) and eventually learning the art of pattern drafting, I learned the art of pattern fitting and alteration. I have always been interested in fitting. Many books have become available in recent years on pattern alteration but I have not found one that addresses problems in the same way that this book does. So many books simplify one problem and do not let you see how the alterations affect other seams. This book goes through the whole process. It is the most comprehensive book on the market today. It starts with body types, how to measure, why you should alter and how to alter the pattern. I do not need a lot of the book's information today. However, it has been a confirmation of all I have thought of throughout the past years. I have purchased the book to add to my collection and I am thoroughly enjoying it. If only it had been available to me over the years, I would not have felt so stupid because patterns did not fit me. I would have had all the information in one place rather than the thinking and reading I had to do.The section on mature and maturing bodies is wonderful and this is one area I will be visiting. Congratulations to the authors for a fantastic book. The book in fun to read. It has lots and lots of pictures of REAL people not drawings. The illustrations of the pattern alterations are excellent. It is many books rolled into one and very good value. Reading it has sparked me off to want to start to sew again after too long an absence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent in-depth alterations - not for the faint-hearted!, 23 Oct 2001
By A Customer
It is no good wasting your time sewing clothes unless you alter your patterns to fit first! We all want beautifully fitted clothes and this book is the one that explains, in detail, the correct way to go about it. It takes time to read and understand it thoroughly, and I found it useful to `practice' alterations on a mini mock-up of the pattern piece being altered. The book is well thought out and written and instead of using standard models, an assortment of different sized ladies were used for the initial pattern-pinning to the completed alterations, so you actually `get what you see' so (sew!!) to speak. Real gem - and would not hesitate to recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, excellent resource. Add to library., 17 April 1998
By A Customer
I picked up this book and read it from beginning to end. I found the facts to be very interesting. Particularly of interest to me was the information regarding sizing of patterns and ready to wear. This book also offered many alterations. I would refer to these in addition to alteration methods in other books (Fitting and Pattern Alteration or Fabulous Fit, for example). I would recommend this book for beginner or advanced dressmakers. The photos and step by step alterations were wonderful. Included, also, were people of many sizes, variances, and ages. One of the best examples of why we sew was the fitting example of Martha's jacket. The book showed Martha wearing an altered size 12 pattern. It also showed her wearing jackets in similar styles in various price ranges and from various stores. The altered size 12 was the best fitting and most flattering by far. It outshone even those designer jackets costing hundreds of dollars. This book also showed how two people of the same height and weight would require vastly different alterations because of their weight and height distribution. Some people are short from waist to neck (me). Others are long in this area. Some have short legs but not short torsos. It is important, the book stressed, to know yourself and your body. They showed how to make a body map. I wasted no time at all doing this. I have a fitted sloper and know what alterations I need to do on my own garments (high right hip, wide waist, full bust). These were things (especially the high hip) which I never really saw until I made the map. When we were done with this process, we stood back and looked. The high right hip (and some other things) were actually noticeable. I would highly recommend this book as an addition to any sewer's library. The information is invaluable and timeless and PRACTICAL! I would also recommend READING THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars The fitting bible!, 29 Jan 2004
B. Louis "sewingbunny" (Plantation, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I would consider this book a must-have for sewists of all levels. The layout is very user-friendly with the alterations being easy for anyone to understand. The models are real people (hence the title!) of all shapes, ages, sizes - refreshing! If you only buy one fitting book this is it. Just a warning though, pants are not covered here - there is a separate Palmer/pletsch book covering pants only.

4.0 out of 5 stars A long awaited blessing for anyone who sews, 4 Feb 1999
By A Customer
This should be in every sewer's library; it is wonderfully detailed and easy to understand with lots of illustrations and REAL people as models. I have been sewing for 40 years and finally found answers to questions that no other book addressed,and I found Pati Palmer's little tips to be real gems of information. Definitely a book worth it's price ,and then some.Anyone who has problems fitting commercial patterns needs this guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best fitting instructions that I have found., 14 Jun 1998
By A Customer
I have been teaching sewing for a number of years and have never found a more useful fitting book. The fitting methods are very easy to use in the classroom as well as in the home. This book has helped me solve all of my own fitting difficulties as well as most of my students. I recommend that you first read the entire book before you put any of the methods to the test. Then get a partner, your sense of humor and go to work. You will always be thankful you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best illustrated and most sensible on the market., 20 April 1998
By A Customer
This is the best of the pattern adjustments books on the market today. Beautiful photographs and diagrams fill the gap between diagnosing a needed adjustment and making it happen. Full color photographs take you through the authors' tissue fitting steps lots of times with the full range of garments and live models. The section on flat pattern adjustments is logically organized, clearly diagramed and in many cases offers multiple options for adjustments. This book is also the only one I've seen with a lively and amusing discussion of the history of pattern sizes and what the various size categories mean - didn't you always wonder how a size 12 Miss Petite came to be?
The book is printed on excellent quality paper with an equally excellent quality of typeface, photograhs and color diagrams making it a pleasure to read and work with.
If any fault can be found it is that the authors make little mention of how important it is to work with a helper or a really well duplicated dress form. Aside from that, their approach is the most sensible and realistic I have seen. This book belongs in the library of every home sewer who wants to create garments with gorgeous fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars An encyclopedia for fitting, 13 April 1998
By A Customer
If you can't find the fitting and/or adjustment in this book, they probably don't exist. It covers the most often needed pattern adjustments; as well as taking into account the (statistically) most frequently occuring body shapes (i.e. round shoulders, uneven shoulders, hips, wider/narrower shoulders; enlarging body areas, etc.). Each body part's adjustment is individually covered; as well as need for special dress/tops, etc. styles (i.e.princess). The book is so PROFUSELY ILLUSTRATED diagraming alternation needed to achieve a `perfect fit' that you don't really need to read. The book does not cover special fitting for special needs such as wheelchair-bound, people with arthritis, prostetics, etc. Maybe that will be their next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth it's weight in gold, 31 Mar 2008
This review is from: Fit for Real People: Sew Great Clothes Using ANY Pattern (Sewing for Real People) (Paperback)
An awful lot of information given on how to get a good fit. It has been an eye opener to read. How nice to use people who are the REAL shape in every day life and not a standard model with pin tucks hiding the badly hung garment in typical catalogue pictures. One does need help to do these fittings and this may be my problem to enable me to use this book fully. I can only agree with others opinions here and no matter what size you are this book should be in your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, 9 Nov 2009
Ann E. Montague-smith (UK) - See all my reviews
Thank you for sending this so quickly. The second edition is a great improvement upon the first, though I have used the first for some years now.

14.27