Format: Hardcover|Change

on 31 January 2013
What an amazing man. As a Brit and knowing a bit about American civil rights( same as the average person)my eyes were opened to just how difficult it was for black Americans, he gave me such an insight into that period of time. Putting himself in great danger he was certainly changed by the experience.I bought this book after hearing a programme on the BBC World Service, it was a recorded conversation with him after his experience. If you love reading about inspiring people or are interested in American history then you should enjoy this. I hope children in America are still being taught about him.
on 3 August 2013
I first read this book when I was a student in the 60's and it moved me to tears - I couldn't believe man's inhumanity to man. Don't know why I wanted to read it again but it still has the same effect - I just hope we have learnt we are all the same under the skin - but have we?
on 29 November 2012
I couldn't believe that I managed to reach the age of 62 and had never heard of this book. I am so grateful to a review programme on Radio 4 for introducing it to me. I understand it is required reading in American schools. I can't think of a single criticism. It is the true story of a very brave journalist who conducted an experiment on racial prejudice in the Southern States of America in the early 60s.
on 13 March 2015
A book that everyone should read once in their lifetime
on 24 September 2014