5.0 out of 5 stars PhotoReading by Paul R. Scheele, 9 Mar 2010
R. E. Orme (Bournemouth UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PhotoReading (Paperback)
This book more than met my expectations. Unlike Speed Reading, PhotoReading bypasses the conscious mind and instead taps into the unlimited resources of the other than conscious mind. The steps of Prepare, Preview, PhotoRead, Postview and Activate are clearly described and help to quickly pick out the important points relevant to the purpose of reading. The technique is ideal for anyone who has to plough through a mountain of reading material for writing reports, passing exams, preparing for discussions or gathering expertise in any subject. I wish I had known about this system years ago when I was studying for my exams. It would have saved me a lot of time and anxiety. Reading the book will not immediately give you mastership; that will come in time by using the system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insights for Getting Past Rapid Reading Limits, 12 Oct 2007
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: PhotoReading (Paperback)
I've been a fast reader since my high school installed a reading lab to teach us how to reader rapidly with good comprehension. For most material, I can breeze along at 2,000 to 3,000 words a minute without skipping anything. The key thing to remember is to just "see" the words and not "sound out" the words in my head.

But when I was in college, I often went to the library and just glanced at the pages of reading that I didn't consider very important. I could review those pages in less than an hour before an exam, and the key points and perspectives would somehow stick with me. But I never mentioned that I did that. I assumed that I was doing something wrong. But having looked at PhotoReading, I now realize that I was doing one of the processes described in this book.

After law school, I found my reading speed had slowed to a snail's pace. It was hard to speed up again. But I found that if I just let my eyes go back and forth across the page looking at several lines at once I could grasp 4-8 lines at a time. It was much easier than drilling along one word at a time . . . and I enjoyed the reading more. But I was reluctant to tell anything about this either. Again, I found this technique described positively in PhotoReading as "skittering".

As you can imagine, I found a lot validation in this book.

But I also had some nice surprises. I was stuck at the car dealer's today while my car was being repaired. This was the only book with me, so I gave it a whirl. In the PhotoRead segment, was I was astonished to see that it was easiest for me to do this when the pages were upside down and I was reviewing the text backward (one of the recommended methods to try). Each page was much clearer that way. I suddenly remembered that for years, I had previewed books that way. So here was another unconscious act validated!

I don't know how well you can learn this method on your own if you are a slow reader, but if you are an advanced reader I suspect it will make a lot of sense.

Here are the steps:

1. Decide on your purpose for reading this particular item and prepare your mind to be receptive to the process.

2. Preview the book over 8-15 minutes by looking at the table of contents, index and general layout of the book and whatever is highlighted.

3. PhotoRead by scanning pages at about one page per second using a technique that gives you a soft focus to your eyes as you proceed.

4. Wait awhile (ideally overnight) and activate what you've learned by focusing on the parts that interest you with fast reading skills (called super reading) or skittering and that help you answer questions you have to answer in order to achieve your purpose in reading the book. Create a mind map that outlines the key ideas in the book into a connected visual display.

5. Rapidly read the text again . . . but going fast except where the material is very relevant.

6. Develop perspective on what you've read using the Syntopic reading methods outlined by Adler and Van Doren in How to Read a Book (the 1972 version).

This outline is summarized in more detail on pages 146-149 in the book.

If you are a regular meditator, I suspect you'll find it easier to use this method . . . which relies on shifting your mental focus to work at top efficiency.

Once you've been doing this for awhile, I suspect you can simplify the process. I don't think I need to do all these steps to get the same results. But then, I've been doing rapid reading for over 40 years.

Have a great read!

PhotoReading
PhotoReading by Paul R. Scheele (Paperback - 15 Jun 2007)
Used & New from: £1.49