5.0 out of 5 stars Full marks for this modern fairy tale with a twist.
Princess Elizabeth is a modern day gal in love in the good old fashioned way with Prince Ronald until the dastardly dragon burns her castle to the ground and carries off her beloved. Despite everything she owns being burnt to ashes, she dons a paper bag and sets off to find the dragon and free Ronald. With great cunning Elizabeth outwits the conceited dragon and releases...
Published on 5 Dec 2000 by janegambarotto@onetel.net.uk

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the same
I love this story and there are great pictures, but sadly the story has been unnecessarily simplified for the board book version and is not a pleasure to read so we have gone back to a paper copy.
Published on 6 Dec 2012 by JMF

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the same, 6 Dec 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book Every Girl Should Read, 16 May 2005
The Paper Bag Princess is a fantastic book, travelling a journey that combines romance and adventure, until our heroine finds herself.
Brilliant for all ages, I loved it and laughed like a drain throughout (and my one year thought it was pretty good too!).
Highly recommended - please buy it and read it, no matter your age!

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't go down well with 5 year old, 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Munsch for Kids) (Paperback)
As opposed to 'I hate it', the 5 year old I bought it for didn't like it. I think she found some of the wording strange, e.g. 'bum' at the end, as it's American.

A shame, as I'd read other reviews on here and had hoped she'd enjoy it. Don't think it will get a 2nd read, and she's an avid reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice twist but unbending and uncompromising, 6 July 2013
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Munsch for Kids) (Paperback)
I was pointed towards this book by a number of feminist websites who advocate it as a good book for young girls as it isn't the usual princess fare. In the story, Princess Elizabeth is going to marry prince Ronald until a dragon comes and burns down her castle, burns her clothes and flies off with Ronald. Elizabeth must dress in the only clothes she can find (a paper bag) and go and rescue her Prince. She manages to outsmart the dragon but because Ronald is critical of her appearance she decides she won't marry him.

I understand the appeal of the book; this is a princess who goes and gets what she wants but I found the ending a bit too abrupt and thought that she could have been a little less rude! I don't know if it is good to turn round and call someone a `bum' even if they have just insulted you; I would prefer to teach my children to rise above the comments made about them and maintain their dignity.

It's better than the usual pink princess rubbish but I would still rather the book had remained positive in tone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab funky faiytale, 4 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Munsch for Kids) (Paperback)
Super story, read to me when I was wee and I now read to my wee one. Great girl power tale with twist at the end which still makes me giggle.

5.0 out of 5 stars My class love this story!, 26 May 2010
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Munsch for Kids) (Paperback)
I teach a Year 1 class and they love this story. They have made dragon models and story maps. They have even done a re-write of the book using great story language. The story is funny and is a good twist on usual fairy tales.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have daughters this book is an absolute must !, 8 Oct 2000
iiii iiii (iiii, iii Ireland) - See all my reviews
The princess gets past the dragon by tricking him and then rescues the somewhat wimpy prince. He won't marry her because she looks the worse for wear so she tells him what she thinks of him and dumps him ! Excellent - Girls love it - Boys take cover !

5.0 out of 5 stars The paper bag Princess, 22 Jun 2009
A Kid's Review
Me,my Mum and my Dad all agree that the paper bag princess is a brilliant book. I am 8 and a half years old and I think that the prince is a big toad . If I were you and I had not got this book i would buy it!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars My class love this story, 16 July 2014
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Munsch for Kids) (Paperback)
My class love this story. It has all the hallmarks of a classic fairy tale with a twist at the end. I've used it to plan a 2 week teaching sequence, with book response, drama, story mapping and re telling, writing in role ( Prince Ronald writes a letter of apology to Princess Elizabeth) then finally innovating and writing a new story. The only downside is that it contains the word bum as an insult, which I had to change to idiot for the purposes of my lessons. Useful for discussing personal relationships eg appearance isn't everything. A good story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern classic, 2 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Munsch for Kids) (Paperback)
A modern classic, teaching children of both genders that a person's worth is determined by their actions and not their appearance.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

The Paper Bag Princess (Munsch for Kids)
The Paper Bag Princess (Munsch for Kids) by Robert Munsch (Paperback - 3 Sep 2009)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available