5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading With My 7 Yr Old Girl
Sadly I am going through a divorce and find myself in the unusual position of being a single dad to 3 wonderful children the youngest of whom is a 7 year old girl.
Published on 29 Jun 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Good gentle book about divorce
This is a good book to tackle the difficult subject of divorce with young children. The book is well written and has good advice for parents inside. It does mention the word divorce alot and is not best suited to families who are just separating because of this but overall it is a well thought out and useful book.
Published on 10 Aug 2009 by Mr. David Chapman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading With My 7 Yr Old Girl, 29 Jun 2004
By A Customer
This child had some difficulty in understanding what was happening and why. "Its Not Your Fault Koko Bear" explains in terms that she could understand what was happening to her family. We particularly liked the analogy of the family as a jigsaw, a concept I will use again and again.
She is now much more comfortable with the process as a whole and understands that mum and dad still love her and its ok to love the departed parent.
Please buy this book if you have confused shildren in this age range, if its the only book you buy on the subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars My son really related to KoKo Bear, 19 May 1999
By A Customer
My son is 3 1/2 and is having a hard time understanding why Daddy and Mommy don't live together anymore. This book helped me introduce the word Divorce to my son and was useful in explaining how to help my child cope with the feelings and trauma of separation. It gives useful tips to parents on how to talk and draw out your feelings. The illustrations were great and very realistic. My son wanted to read it twice!

5.0 out of 5 stars So touching and reassuring, comfort in a book!, 8 Mar 2006
My daughter is 4 and her dad and I seperated about 2 years ago now. She's had a hard time, especially just recently as her dad is due to remarry, she has a new step-family and I am now in a new relationship. The poor love had a head full of questions she didn't understand and a heart full of sadness and worry that she didn't know how to deal with. She just didn't seem to know where she fit in anymore. This book is both moving and reassuring and is always on show in my daughter's bedroom. She thought she had done something really bad and thought I would leave her too. After reading Koko (a few times) she told me that she isn't alone after all, that Koko feels the same too and that it's OK to feel as she does and that it's all going to be OK. She now freely asks my partner and I and her dad and his partner questions whenever she is worried or upset. This is definately a "must buy".

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent Book, 6 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This book is an excellent tool to pave the way for discussions on an extremely difficult subject. While it is suggested for older children, it certainly is appealing to younger children. Most helpful is the text for the parent, shown on each page, explaining the difficult emotions that children feel when their parents are divorcing. For the child, it presents divorce in a realistic way, and validates the confusion, fear, and anger so prevalent in children of divorcing parents.
This book is a "must-have" for your children's library if you are divorcing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good gentle book about divorce, 10 Aug 2009
Mr. David Chapman (Camberley UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for a child going through separation or divorce, 19 Aug 2005
My son is 4 and has suffered quietly after his dad left very suddenly. He thought that it was his fault and has been searching his soul and questioning each time he has not behaved perfectly. It has taken a lot to get him to talk about how he feels and I was astounded to find a book that said everything he was feeling and made him feel like he was not alone and that what he felt was normal and ok. I feel like koko could have been written about us.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for 5-7 age bracket, 7 Mar 2014
Good book but a little too informative for my 4 year old. Great for my 6 year old but he found it difficult to relate to a bear and asked why it's not a boy

1.0 out of 5 stars Caution, 20 Feb 2014
I felt that this book would put an idea into my grandsons head that some how is at fault, where as he appears to have taken the split in his stride, so really it's about not making assumptions until you are clear that the child does blame themselves and then use the bool as a tool to help?

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for encouraging discussion, 27 July 2011
S. Taylor (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my 9 year old grand-daughter whose parents have recently separated. I particularly liked the question/discussion prompts and found it a useful tool for encouraging my grand-daughter to talk about her feelings about her situation. I also liked the fact that it covers a longer period of time after an immediate separation, so is able to explore other situations that might arise after the initial one. A really useful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book,, 5 Sep 2007
This book is especially good for kids who are suffering because of their parents separation, especially if there are court cases taking place over access. For a father up against a hostile or difficult mother and getting nowhere in the British courts, FAMILY COURT HELL by Mark Harris really is a must read too. Both Dad and child catered for with these two.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›