1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Louis Pasteur Finds a Cure, 6 Jun 2011
John M. Ford "johnDC" (near DC, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Value of Believing in Yourself: The Story of Louis Pasteur (Valuetales) (Hardcover)
In this installment of the ValueTales series, Spencer Johnson describes achievements in the life of Louis Pasteur (1822-1895).

The book tells of Louis Pasteur's lifelong search for the `invisible enemy' that causes disease. He worked away in his lab to find a cure for the rabies disease that people sometimes get when bitten by a dog. We follow the story of Joey, who was bitten by a dog, got rabies, and was cured using medicine developed by Dr. Pasteur. Pasteur was able to save many other people with the medicines developed in his lab.

Like other books in the ValueTales series, this book uses a real-life person to exemplify an important value. It is suitable for reading by children in the later elementary school grades. A "Historical Facts" section at the book's end summarizes Pasteur's life in a single-page bio form suitable for adults.

Closing quote: "'When I was working in my laboratory,' Dr. Pasteur said, `I enjoyed the times when I believed in myself. In those days, I didn't always succeed. But even if I didn't, it always felt good to believe that I could.'" (p. 57)

The Value of Believing in Yourself: The Story of Louis Pasteur (Valuetales)
Used & New from: 0.01