5.0 out of 5 stars Way of the Peaceful Warrior
I first saw this book in the library, and was attracted by the cover. Since then I have read this book several times and so have many of my friends. No book can change your life unless you are willing to put some work into changing yourself or getting in touch with yourself. This book has helped me to get back in touch with my intuition and the magic and wisdom in life...
Published on 11 Mar 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not gospel
The Way of the Peaceful Warrior is a semi-autobiographical piece that describes the personal and spirtual growth of its author as he is taught by a wise, cute, funny old man.
I have to say that I have mixed feelings toward this book. I first read it about four years ago. I have recommended it to a few people and bought it for a few others.
Four years ago I...
Published on 20 Oct 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 419 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter pants, 26 Mar 2013
. Lost all credibility when old men start jumping onto roofs. If your looking for inspiration avoid this as its a cross between sci fi, Dr Who and a Bruce Lee film

4.0 out of 5 stars You still have work to do!, 29 Feb 2004
This review is from: The Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives (Paperback)
I have read many similar books to this in my own search for meaning and spiritual growth. Dan's writing style didn't inspire me, nor did his personality. The wisdom and insights did. I suppose that was the point. He needed to move from a position of ego and selfishness. I would love to meet a 'Socrates' to help keep me on the right path and to instil what is ultimately needed to make progress, discipline! Otherwise, like so many books and knowledge, it just stays at the level of the intellect. Buy, or borrow, a copy, read it, then act on it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dated and dull, 25 Dec 2013
I cannot imagine whose life would be changed by this pompous and tedious nonsense. Even old hippies stuck in a time warp should avoid it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual Babble, 27 Nov 2013
Really disappointed. Absolutely zero real advice or material for reflection. If I wanted fantasy I would have bought a SciFi book. Every chapter of this book is loaded with physical and biological inaccuracies and impossibilities. I really think that no rational person can finish this book without a bit of disgust by the crap that comes in it (like the old man who jumps to the rooftop - seriously!?).

Anyway, this comment is just to show that it's possible to simply hate this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that changes lives!, 5 Oct 2013
READ IT!!! And the others Mr Millman has written and don't look at them as some airy fairy self help books but as stories which can help us learn about ourselves and put the world around us into better perspective. As humans we learn from all experiences (good and bad) and so the experiences of others give us more opportunity for learning and these experiences are passed on through stories. Some we can learn more from than others and this is one of those special ones which keeps on teaching us long after the last page has been turned!

1.0 out of 5 stars poor, 28 Sep 2013
Heard so many good reviews but I just dont get it not my kind of book at all stopped reading it after persisting for about quarter of the book just glad I only spent three quid on it

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn something new about yourself, 16 Sep 2012
The first book I have read since leaving school 15 years ago....

Recommended by my acupunturist and based on his suggestion that I would find parallels within the story, well I must say its as if it was written for me about me and too me!

Millions of other readers say the same and I'm certain they too have drawn positively from a story that takes the reader through a humorous, insightfull, inspiring, enlightening, emotional journey of oneself.

This book will open your mind and paint your world and life within it, with new colours of which you would have never seen before, its simply beautiful and I feel gratefull to have read it.

In summary, the story is based on an aspiring athlete (Dan) who's troubled by his thoughts and dreams and full of lifes questions he cannot answer. Late one night after a frightening re-occuring dream, Dan stumbles upon an unusual, mystical character. Almost 'unhuman,' this character seems to know more about Dan and the journey he faces than he does.

Intrigued by what this character has to offer, Dan becomes reluctanly drawn to his 'ways' and soon learns (As all will that read this story) that there's infinitely more to life than we seek.

Kind Regards

Will

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, but quite urealisic. Enjoyed more the film thought!, 9 Sep 2012
Eleftherios Mpastakis (Crete, Greece) - See all my reviews
I first saw the film and I enjoyed it very much. Thats the reason I got the book. I was probably expecting something similar to the film, which the book is not.

Anyway, the book is a good read, however there is too much superficial unreal moments in it -something I really didn't like!

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow and boring, 4 Dec 2011
I just couldn't get into this book. People rave about it but I can't see why. I stuck it out and read it through but it just didn't seem to have any messages for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Book that Changes Lives?, 18 Nov 2011
I think this is an entertaining read, a nice story, but not a didactic text that "changes lives." Some of Socrates insights are witty. But, enlightened? I'm not too sure. It basically boils down to Oneness and Action. Ideas that aren't fleshed out enough in the book, and principles that aren't clearly translated to daily living. I don't think this "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" business is as exportable as Millman sees it, whether a lack in the theory or its messenger, I don't know. One thing I did find helpful was the distinction between mindfulness and mindlessness, and the protagonist's successful minimization of his narcissism. Other than that, I didn't find the protagonist to be very informative, thoughtful, or didactic.

If you expect a book to change your life, pick something else. Maybe, The Alchemist? It's less directly related to industrialized living, but somehow much more helpful.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 419 | Next ›

The Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives
The Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives by Dan Millman (Paperback - 1 Sep 2000)