5.0 out of 5 stars Way of the Peaceful Warrior
I first saw this book in the library, and was attracted by the cover. Since then I have read this book several times and so have many of my friends. No book can change your life unless you are willing to put some work into changing yourself or getting in touch with yourself. This book has helped me to get back in touch with my intuition and the magic and wisdom in life...
Published on 11 Mar 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not gospel
The Way of the Peaceful Warrior is a semi-autobiographical piece that describes the personal and spirtual growth of its author as he is taught by a wise, cute, funny old man.
I have to say that I have mixed feelings toward this book. I first read it about four years ago. I have recommended it to a few people and bought it for a few others.
Four years ago I...
Published on 20 Oct 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational !!, 3 Dec 2005
Derek (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives (Paperback)
This is the most inspirational short story I've read in along time. A friend of mine recommended this book to me, and the moment I opened the first page, I couldn't put the book down ! There were so many profound lessons taught by the teacher Socrates that makes the individual challenge current belief systems for example lessons on '....losing the mind to find your senses' and redefining perceptions of being 'self centred' as opposed to being selfish are two of the many lessons in this wonderful story. After reading the book, it inspired me to put into action some of the practical lessons. However, to get a greater understanding of the philosophy behind the story, you will have to read about Taoism and other eastern philosophies. The story is a brilliant introduction to the world of spirituality for the initiate, and is a great catalyst to greater understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, 1 July 2007
Lee Hendricks "Jimmi" (Ascot, Berkshire UK) - See all my reviews
I am naturally cynical about self-help. I am a man brought up in a mining village in the North East of England where talking about emotions wasn't done; people simply got on with life.

I had no cause to question my morale values or belief systems until my wife and I had our third child when our oldest was only just three. Things have become extremely hectic. Every day is filled with activity leaving little room for thought or expression.

I was so busy doing stuff that I had begun to lose sight of who I was and what I stood for. No matter how busy I was, I always tried to read for ten minutes before finding that much-needed sleep in a house of restless babies. Dan Millman's Peaceful Warrior series helped and continues to provide a morale compass for my wife and I as we continue to get through the 0600hrs breakfast and the 0230hrs evening feeds; we've even begun to enjoy them.

I recommend Peaceful Warrior to anyone whose has lost his or her way and is looking for a little well-purposed guidance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 27 Mar 2013
If you're looking for something life changing, don't look here. Painfully boring and the storyline is poor. There is nothing enlightening here. I find it odd that the book has so many good reviews.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amateurish and certainly not life changing, 22 Sep 2012
A friend absolutely insisted I read this book and even sent me a link to it. I wish he hadn't. I couldn't believe how dire it was - naive, amateurish and very badly written. It's like one of those free Kindle downloads that you're glad you didn't spend any money on, but unfortunately I did spend money on it.

It's not that I'm a non-believer when it comes to New Age theories, I'm open minded and interested. The stumbling block is that I don't appreciate bad writing and this is terribly written in a way that insults your intelligence. It reads like a first draft and given that it's a full price book, it should at least have been better edited.

5.0 out of 5 stars Starting on the path, 27 Jun 2010
Jonathan Davis "JD" (Oxford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this Dan Millman book, as a semi-autobiographical tale of his college years in the 1960s there are plenty of universal lessons that can even be applied here in 2010. It's a very quick read, the chapters and structure of the book flies by. I know I will be re-reading this book again, not because I didn't understand it, but because I want to keep true to the lessons and examples it holds.

A great book for someone who needs a fictional take on personal growth and development.

4.0 out of 5 stars Way of the Peaceful Warrior, 5 Feb 2010
Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowermen... (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Dan Millman was a top gymnast on his way to the Olympics. Life seemed pretty good. Still, something wasn't quite right. Something was missing.

Then, one night, Dan stopped at the local gas station for late night snacks. They say that when the student is ready, a teacher will appear. As fate would have it, that very night Dan met a man he came to call Socrates. To the outside world, Socrates looked like a guy working at the gas station. In reality, he was a mentor, a warrior, a teacher.

Way of the Peaceful Warrior is the story of how Dan Millman's life was changed. How he learned to take care of his body. How he learned to quiet his mind. How he learned to trust and just let go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember this book!, 16 Nov 2000
meet@full-moon.com (United Kingdom (originally Slovakia)) - See all my reviews
I read this book first time in Slovak. Very good friend of mine (Rasto) gave it to me to read it one summer. He just said 'read it and when you finish tell me what'd you think'. I read it and till now I remember every single bit from this book, and this book gave me something I'd never thought I needed! I give you my advice, just read it and learn from it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Take it how you want but you won't want to put it down!, 18 Aug 1997
By A Customer
A friend recommended this book to me and it changed my life.
This is a well written, easily read book of personal growth. Initially I set out reading the book as a story and soon found that I became a part of it, living and feeling the story as it unfolded. I now own a well thumbed paper back copy.
Dan, the author and world class athlete tells his own story of spiritual growth as he meets the challenges of life helped by the sometimes obtuse council of his mentor. It's a book which once you pick it up, even on the third or fourth read you just don't want to put it down and each time you read it new gems of wisdom will become apparent in the writing. We each have our own vision and purpose in life, just remember - "there are no ordinary moments".

1.0 out of 5 stars Basic and unconvincing, 5 Mar 2008
As far as this type of book is concerned I'm fairly well read and knowledgable and in the real world I have followed this interest for over 30 years, so have a certain self taught epistemological 'expertise'.

The book is poorly written, stilted and totally unconvincing. In particular the dialogue is totally unconvincing. If I had to venture a guess I would say the book is a work of fiction based within the framework of the author's real life. Perhaps if I was new to the genre I might have read the whole thing. As it is I've been unable to finish it because it doesn't move me.

Even the name of the protagonist Socrates is unconvincing because the rather basic priciples espoused are mainly Eastern rather than Greek.

There are far better books than this out there if this is your interest.

3.0 out of 5 stars I anticipated a good read, but was let down., 29 Dec 1997
By A Customer
I was encouraged by the reviews, as well as a college-athlete-roommate, to pick up this book. But my expectations were not met at all, probably because I'm just not in tune with all this new-age stuff going around these days. I certainly won't pick up 'The Celestine Prophecy' now! I read the amazon.com interview w/Dan Millman, and noted that a favorite of his is Hesse's 'Siddhartha', which strikes a cord, because that's a favorite of mine as well. -That was a book that brought about much reflection and insight- but for some reason, 'The Way of the Peaceful Warrior' fails to evoke these responses. Maybe I let the excessive melodrama of Dan's character get to me. Or maybe it was the writing style in general. I mean, what do you think of this??: "But Joy, you know I want you to be with me always. I want to have children with you and keep you warm at night. Our life could be so fine together." "Danny," she said, "there's something else I should have told you before. I know I look and act-well, the age you might expect me to be. But I'm only 15 years old." I stared at her, my jaw slack. "That means that for months I've had an awful lot of illegal fantasies." All three of us laughed, but my laughter was hollow. A piece of my life had fallen and broken. "Joy, I'll wait. There's still a chance." (p.177) ---I mean, this kind of writing wears on ya after a while. But I finished the book, and feel humbled in the respect that I ask, "Can some-one explain to me what that was all about??" There are principles in the book that I agree with and practice myself, but the thought of this book being an eye-opener, or dispensing wisdom beyond the basics of Buddhism, does not pan out. I'll stick with 'Siddhartha' or 'Zen & The Art Of Motorcycle Maintainence'.

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

The Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives
The Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives by Dan Millman (Paperback - 1 Sep 2000)
7.42