Format: CardsChange

I always loved the Rider Waite 'formula' and structure, but the images are less than inspiring, and most of the re-coloured versions are worse than the standard one. The Morgan Greer deck has everything the Rider Waite has, but it's gorgeous. It has deep, rich, warm colours which seem all the more sumptuous as the cards are borderless, allowing the images to flow together during readings. The 70s imagery is superb- moustaches, strange head-wear and thick, flowing hair on the ladies... it's a piece of retro heaven. It makes me think that if you had a Mum or Aunt who read cards, this would be the deck they'd have! Very comforting. It reads very well indeed, and there are no 'horrid' cards to spoil the deck as with some Tarots! This edition has slightly glossy card, but it's not thickly coated with plastic, and it shuffles very nicely.

Whilst I can see that it's not everyone's cup of tea, indeed some people dislike the very things which I love about it, but for me it's top notch. All the symbolism is there, and the meanings are very obvious if you know the Rider Waite deck already, otherwise it's ideal for learning on. After all these years, yes it does look dated, but in a tarot deck this is not a bad thing, but something to be cherished and enjoyed. It's a real classic, and the fact that it's still in print after all this time should tell you something.
11 comment30 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 3 August 2011
The Morgan-Greer is the first tarot deck I have ever bought, as it was the 'recommended' deck used on a leading Mind/Body/Spirit magazine for a weekly Tarot course. Therefore, whilst most people start learning Tarot with the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, I found myself 'stranded' with a more uncommon one. At first I found it difficult (being self-taught) to interpret the cards as all the books tend to refer to the RWS; however, the Morgan-Greer is actually based on the latter for its imagery and symbology, and only a few cards radically differ; one example that springs to mind is the IX of Swords, which in the RWS depicts a person sitting up on the bed, clearly having just awoken from a nightmare; in the MG, the card depicts two hands tied together, changing the meaning of the card quite considerably.

I have recently purchased two versions of the RWS deck, as I felt that it was time to explore the deck that became the model of the modern Tarot system; however, I have to say that so far I haven't been able to use them, as the call of the Morgan-Greer is always stronger, and its images and vivid colours seem to be a lot more meaningful and evocative than those of the RWS.

Therefore, if you are shopping for a new deck, or if you are new to Tarot and don't know where to start, I would encourage you to try the Morgan-Greer and then just use any of the Rider-Waite-Smith based books alongside it.

The only reason I will not give this deck 4 stars is that some of the images are a bit dated - for example the 1970s moustache on The Magician card. But once you get past that, I assure you that you will fall in love with these cards.
on 20 March 1998
I have had this deck since its original date of publication (1988), and it's been the best set I've come across yet. The illustrations are poignant, beautiful, and rich with color. The cards are soul-inspiring and very appealing to both the beginner and the expert tarot reader. Highly recommended!
0Comment21 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 March 2013
This was one on my first decks and one that I always return to .The colours are so rich and intense allthough from the 70s this adds to there appeaI and find for matters of the heart they are invaluable. beginner's won't have a problem as they follow rider Waite system a lovely classic deck a must for any collection
on 22 August 2015
The imagery is familiar from the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, but here it is far more vivid and immediate. We're much closer to the figures, and the colours are richly saturated. The effect is immersive, appealing and accessible. Several of the cards are grippingly beautiful--the 3 of pentacles, 2 of swords and 8 of cups are some of my particular favourites, looking like stained glass windows. A couple of the cards are disappointing to me--the vacant stares of the three women with the 3 of cups make this look less like an engaging social opportunity than the welcoming committee for a cult. The couple on the two of cups look like they're tensely recovering from a nasty argument...unlike the soft-saxophone sensuality of The Lovers.

The worst thing about this deck is definitely the 70s moustaches. The Magician, in particular, is a little hard to take seriously. If you can handle the staches, though, I think this is a wonderfully interesting and rewarding deck.

The cards have a wonderful hand-feel, slippery and lively, fun to shuffle. This would be an really good deck to begin with, although the 'white book' included with the deck really is just a folded sheet of paper with a few words of interpretation.
on 22 November 2002
I discovered this deck a few months into learning the Tarot. I found its images beautiful, compelling and intuitively easy to read. My only gripe would be that the pattern on the reverse of the deck gives away the fact that a card is reversed, so cards must be drawn with your eyes shut or whatever. The symbolism of the deck is very similar to that seen in the Rider-Waite (making it easy to relate the cards to tarot textbooks), but the design and colour is lusher, warmer and sexier. I love this deck.
on 5 November 2011
This is a nice deck if you appreciate the artistic qualities of the cards. Personally I find the court cards are drawn too "close up" to see the symbolism that they contain in other decks, and certainly the 5 of swords amused me as it looked like a scene straight out of "revenge of the Sith". But the card stock is good quality, the images are clear and colours are quite vivid without being too bright.
review image
on 16 December 2014
I absolutely love these cards. They are wonderfully bright and colourful with lots of detail and also borderless, which I love. They have a very 1970's feel about them, as others have commented. Being a '70's child this appeals to me. After using them on a daily basis, after about a month or so they began to "speak" to me and have found the images move inside the cards, drawing my attention to something which means a lot to my Client. I've bought a few packs of different cards since these ones, and when I return to these I find I feel like I'm coming home... I can't recommend them highly enough. Also good for beginners as the images are not too disimilar to Rider Waite, which I believe to be the best cards to learn with.
on 19 November 2013
great tarot pack. My friend had these years ago and I thought it best not to copy her....but i crumbled and gave in. LOVE IT ! fast delivery.
on 28 September 2013
Really loving these cards,,they are bright coloured and attractive to work with...although the devil card it a little hard to look at for extended periods ha! Generally easy to read as the artist sticks with the important symbology and colours used in some of the older more traditional decks. Good buy x