5.0 out of 5 stars Retro heaven....
Published on 24 April 2008 by Mrs. Z. L. Reynolds

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been a better booklet
They were ok - The booklet should have been more concise so fell short of expectations. They rank no better than 3 star
Published 6 months ago by Bev O'Neill

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Retro heaven...., 24 April 2008
Mrs. Z. L. Reynolds "surfingbernard" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Morgan Greer Tarot (Cards)
I always loved the Rider Waite 'formula' and structure, but the images are less than inspiring, and most of the re-coloured versions are worse than the standard one. The Morgan Greer deck has everything the Rider Waite has, but it's gorgeous. It has deep, rich, warm colours which seem all the more sumptuous as the cards are borderless, allowing the images to flow together during readings. The 70s imagery is superb- moustaches, strange head-wear and thick, flowing hair on the ladies... it's a piece of retro heaven. It makes me think that if you had a Mum or Aunt who read cards, this would be the deck they'd have! Very comforting. It reads very well indeed, and there are no 'horrid' cards to spoil the deck as with some Tarots! This edition has slightly glossy card, but it's not thickly coated with plastic, and it shuffles very nicely.

Whilst I can see that it's not everyone's cup of tea, indeed some people dislike the very things which I love about it, but for me it's top notch. All the symbolism is there, and the meanings are very obvious if you know the Rider Waite deck already, otherwise it's ideal for learning on. After all these years, yes it does look dated, but in a tarot deck this is not a bad thing, but something to be cherished and enjoyed. It's a real classic, and the fact that it's still in print after all this time should tell you something.

5.0 out of 5 stars A super deck, 20 Mar 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Morgan Greer Tarot (Cards)
I have had this deck since its original date of publication (1988), and it's been the best set I've come across yet. The illustrations are poignant, beautiful, and rich with color. The cards are soul-inspiring and very appealing to both the beginner and the expert tarot reader. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring imagery, 3 Aug 2011
Asphodelia (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Morgan Greer Tarot (Cards)
The Morgan-Greer is the first tarot deck I have ever bought, as it was the 'recommended' deck used on a leading Mind/Body/Spirit magazine for a weekly Tarot course. Therefore, whilst most people start learning Tarot with the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, I found myself 'stranded' with a more uncommon one. At first I found it difficult (being self-taught) to interpret the cards as all the books tend to refer to the RWS; however, the Morgan-Greer is actually based on the latter for its imagery and symbology, and only a few cards radically differ; one example that springs to mind is the IX of Swords, which in the RWS depicts a person sitting up on the bed, clearly having just awoken from a nightmare; in the MG, the card depicts two hands tied together, changing the meaning of the card quite considerably.

I have recently purchased two versions of the RWS deck, as I felt that it was time to explore the deck that became the model of the modern Tarot system; however, I have to say that so far I haven't been able to use them, as the call of the Morgan-Greer is always stronger, and its images and vivid colours seem to be a lot more meaningful and evocative than those of the RWS.

Therefore, if you are shopping for a new deck, or if you are new to Tarot and don't know where to start, I would encourage you to try the Morgan-Greer and then just use any of the Rider-Waite-Smith based books alongside it.

The only reason I will not give this deck 4 stars is that some of the images are a bit dated - for example the 1970s moustache on The Magician card. But once you get past that, I assure you that you will fall in love with these cards.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these cards, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: Morgan Greer Tarot (Cards)
This was one on my first decks and one that I always return to .The colours are so rich and intense allthough from the 70s this adds to there appeaI and find for matters of the heart they are invaluable. beginner's won't have a problem as they follow rider Waite system a lovely classic deck a must for any collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant deck, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Morgan Greer Tarot (Cards)
By far, this is the best deck around- the cards feel great in your hand, look fantastic laid out in a spread and I love the fact they are borderless. I prefer the images to the Raider-Waites. Superb colours - a fantastic pack to have in your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Intuitive, 22 Nov 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Morgan Greer Tarot (Cards)
I discovered this deck a few months into learning the Tarot. I found its images beautiful, compelling and intuitively easy to read. My only gripe would be that the pattern on the reverse of the deck gives away the fact that a card is reversed, so cards must be drawn with your eyes shut or whatever. The symbolism of the deck is very similar to that seen in the Rider-Waite (making it easy to relate the cards to tarot textbooks), but the design and colour is lusher, warmer and sexier. I love this deck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely quality, 2 Oct 2010
This review is from: Morgan Greer Tarot (Cards)
These cards are really nice quality and feel really nice to shuffle, deal and handle. The images are nicely coulered and the couler is full of depth. Many are portrait style so you do lose some of the details but if course it depends on how you work and how experianced you are I think as to whether this is a big deal. You do get a lot of information from expressions etc and even as a novice I really like working with these cards. I think the Lovers card is beauttiful in this deck and there are plently of really nice solid images in the cards. The cards and images feel substantial and solid.

The deck has a nice feel, deep coulers and is of good quality so I would recommened it although beginners like me would be better sticking to the full image decks like the unuversal RW to learn on if this is going to be a first or only deck. I have lots of decks so although I use this I can compare to a card with more detail if I need to....

5.0 out of 5 stars stunning, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: Morgan Greer Tarot (Cards)
great tarot pack. My friend had these years ago and I thought it best not to copy her....but i crumbled and gave in. LOVE IT ! fast delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely cards, 28 Sep 2013
J. Reid - See all my reviews
This review is from: Morgan Greer Tarot (Cards)
Really loving these cards,,they are bright coloured and attractive to work with...although the devil card it a little hard to look at for extended periods ha! Generally easy to read as the artist sticks with the important symbology and colours used in some of the older more traditional decks. Good buy x

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely love these cards, 16 Dec 2014
This review is from: Morgan Greer Tarot (Cards)
I absolutely love these cards. They are wonderfully bright and colourful with lots of detail and also borderless, which I love. They have a very 1970's feel about them, as others have commented. Being a '70's child this appeals to me. After using them on a daily basis, after about a month or so they began to "speak" to me and have found the images move inside the cards, drawing my attention to something which means a lot to my Client. I've bought a few packs of different cards since these ones, and when I return to these I find I feel like I'm coming home... I can't recommend them highly enough. Also good for beginners as the images are not too disimilar to Rider Waite, which I believe to be the best cards to learn with.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Morgan Greer Tarot
Morgan Greer Tarot by Lloyd Morgan (Cards - 1 May 1991)