Format: Cards|Change

on 16 August 1998
This was the very first deck I owned and even when I don't understand all the symbolisms (one card often has more than 7 or 8 symbols), I could intuitively grasp the metaphors of the card, which is what makes this deck so powerful in personal transformation. This deck is excellent as a meditative tool and for healing. The art is a pleasure.
on 24 July 2010
This deck is perhaps the more complete tarot deck. With simbology from cabala, alchemy, astrology, science, hindu, chakras, and so on. The cards have an unique colour, so is easy to identify them without need to see all the card. The paintings from Frieda Harris are very beautiful. The quality of the cards are excelent. Perhaps the only "problem" is that they are big, so, if you wish a small deck, more easy to handle, I think there's a smaller tarot deck. Anyway, I use this one and I'm used to it.
on 17 September 2009
I bought the large format cards mainly so that I can study the illustrations more. They are a bit big for my small hands but the quality and detail of the cards is worth the small effort!! The illustrations are intuitive but also backed by a lot of research into the original meanings of the cards and their kabbalist/hermetic connections. The minor cards carry the astrological signs as well as a key word for each one - eg 9 of cups is Happiness and shows the signs for Piscess and Jupiter. There is so much detail in each card that you can say that there are layers of knowledge in each card - it's up to you to search these out. Crowley wrote the Book of Thoth which is a companion to these cards and is well worth reading for background knowledge as well as help in divination. The court cards are depicted differently from other decks - there is no King but the Knight is the consort of the Queen. Then there are the Princes and Princesses who are the equivalent of the knights and pages of other decks. The Knights are always on horseback and the Princes are in chariots displaying a difference between natural and mechanical forces. The Major cards are called Trumps and some of them have different names from the ones you may be familiar with - Lust is n° 11 and depicts the illustration normally associated with 8 Strength, that is a lady and a lion but here she is depicted as a naked lady astride a lion with many heads, like the whore of Babylon, n° 8 is Adjustment, normally associated with 11 Justice in other decks - so here he has transposed the normal numbering of cards in the Major Arcana too.

I find I am increasingly drawn to this deck, I have the Gilded and the Rider Waite packs too, but this deck has deeper and more esoteric meanings for me. Well worth more study.
on 11 May 2012
These cards are fantastic, beautiful and sturdy.

I bought these to help me understand Kabbalistic symbology more, and to help me discover the depths of my own mind. These cards are perfect for this.

These days the Tarot is reduced to mere fortune telling, and many, many cheap, uninspired decks have flooded the market. Most of the decks out there have ZERO value symbolicaly, spiritually or artisticaly.

The art of Lady Harris is stunning and full of beautiful symbology on every level. These large cards help to show the detail in the cards.

Crowley was undoubtedly one of, if not the most, proficient minds schooled in the western esoteric tradition. His knowledge and understanding of all things spiritual makes these cards THE BEST.

If you really want to study the Kabbalah, the western esoteric tradition or even your own mind. These cards will be a great help -that is, along with some supplimentary material such as "The Mystical Qabbalah" by Dion Fortune, "777" by Crowley as well as the books on the Thoth Deck by Michael Snuffin and Lon Milo Duquette.
on 20 September 2013
I'm forced to review both editions of the Thoth deck which I bought here in one place. I bought the large Green boxed edition, and the more normally-sized Lilac boxed edition (not the blue Swiss one or the mini-card version).

First some background: when I was 16 I started learning tarot cards from a friend of mine at college, and I got myself a pack of the Barbara Walker tarot deck, which is a great deck for beginners because the minor arcana are quite dramatically illustrated & there are single words expressing the character of each card. You can't really go wrong with it, but it's out of print now. I got another deck, the Magickal Tarot by Tony Willis (now also out of print, sadly). This was based upon the Thoth, but had little bits added, words here & there or an alchemical or astrological symbol, or a Hebrew letter or whatever, which again made it very easy to read. When I was 19-20 or so & out of a job, it being 1989-90ish & the UK's economy being still in the crapper, I was lucky enough to be able to get a job for a while reading tarot cards on an 0898 line, for 30p or 50p per minute. Some of the people I worked with were a LOT better than me. One was a beautiful redhead named Steph, who used to go off with the New Age travellers on jaunts around the place when the mood took her. She was an incredible free spirit, a beautiful woman, and most importantly a really bang-on, got it right every time, tarot reader. Steph used the Thoth deck, and she had a string of regulars who, when we moved company because the boss was a bit of a snot, they came with her. When she went off on holiday they'd call & ask for her, & when they found she wasn't in they said they'd ring back later. She really was that good.

So, when I decided last month to get back into tarot reading, I first thought of the Magickal Tarot, and found out it was out of print (d'oh!), my next thought was "Thoth deck!". So I plugged that into Amazon's search & it came up with the green box edition. I bought that & it turned up, and I was duly impressed & nostalgic about its beautiful pictures, but I found I couldn't shuffle the darned thing properly. Not the end of the world - I bought it primarily to be able to meditate upon the card meanings, the symbology & the connections between the major arcana & the paths of the Qabbalah, which I find is a worthwhile practice. That said, I googled "Thoth deck too big" and it came up with a page about the different sized decks - there's a current mini edition which shows up in Amazon's search under "Thoth Deck" but really that's teeny-tiny & much too small for me, but the page showed an earlier edition in a lilac box, and that clicked in my memory - that must be the deck my old colleague used. I ordered that (it's in Amazon if you search for "Crowley tarot") & got it, and now that's my main working tarot. I've done a few readings with it (bit rusty but I daresay I'll get back to speed soon) & it works just right. So, my advice, if you want a big deck to hold up to a class or group of people, buy the green, but if you want a good working deck for divination or general tarot work, go for the Lilac box.
review image
VINE VOICEon 5 February 2015
Just a review on this particular size: This is the regular size for a tarot deck, not the over-sized display deck or the miniature pocket deck, just your regular, daily use size that you might be used to seeing in general public stores. If you posess or have seen a regular Marseilles tarot or a Rider-Waite tarot deck, well, these are that size.
on 15 October 1998
I bought these cards 2 weeks ago and have had very good results, the readings are understandable and acurate. They are also the prettiest cards I have ever seen. It's my second deck, my first is The tarot of the cats which I bought about 7 years ago. These cards are too vague (all brown and very kitch) where Crowleys cards are very clear, even the colors show how to interpretate. The book I like to use with the cards is that of Banzhaf and Akron, it's clearly written and explains all the symbols used in the cards.
on 13 November 2014
Very impressed with the deck, very good quality, a tip if you want to buy a good book on tarot I found "understanding Aleister Crowleys thoth tarot" by lon milo Duquette to be brilliant. The decks a must if you like Tarot
on 16 January 2014
It's a bit weird for me, since it's hermetic, and I'm not used to that, but after a while I got an understanding of all the cards, and now I believe its my most precise deck.
It's a bit big, granted, the cards themselves, I can barely hold them in my hand, but they are beautiful, and worth the largeness of the cards, because any smaller and you wouldn't be able to see the details.
on 2 July 2007
Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot is an extraordinary deck which reflects the very complex personality that Crowley was. Much of his occult knowledge and experience is published through this deck, but, perversely, is only available to those who know what to look for. The deck is fascinating, and although much traditional Tarot symbolism is used, the dynamic and sometimes dramatic style of the pictures necessitate a really close look to see this properly. This is not a beginner's deck because of its complexity, but it is indeed a must-have for all serious students of the Tarot.