5.0 out of 5 stars A truly worthwhile book, 11 Mar 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Gesture of Balance (Nyingma Psychology Series) (Paperback)
I read this, Tulku's first book, over ten years ago. It offers a unique view of Buddhism based on the lama's own tradition, Nyingma Buddhism, that is non technical and very approachable. I feel it is of value to the Buddhist and non-Buddhist reader alike. Of all the modern books on Buddhism and meditation there are no more than ten or so that are really worth reading and this certainly one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gesture of Balance, 16 Nov 2007
Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowermen... (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Gesture of Balance (Nyingma Psychology Series) (Paperback)
Years ago, when I first started learning about meditation, I read every book I could get my hands on about the process. I would read the text and become excited that I had found the "right" way to practice. Immediately, I would follow the instructions as best I could. Without fail, I would get frustrated when I couldn't sustain the right pose or hold my tongue in the proper way as I tried to breathe correctly. Inevitably, throughout the whole exercise I worried that I couldn't stop my thoughts.

Over time, I have learned exactly what Gesture of Balance provides for those wanting to try meditation: that meditation focused on "a right way", particular goals, or the desire for special powers ultimately leads to frustration. In fact, that is the purpose of the practice. True meditation is not about doing or practicing, it is about letting go of all expectations and just experiencing. Meditation isn't something we undertake to impress others or to prove our value. It is an extremely personal process that asks us to question and examine everything we think, feel, or believe.

I wish I had come across this book years ago. Its guidance would have been even more valuable. Today, it reminds me of the path I've travelled and the journey I continue to experience. Gesture of Balance will definitely have a permanent place on my bookshelf of favourites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 23 July 2011
K. Tailor (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gesture of Balance (Nyingma Psychology Series) (Paperback)
I first stumbled upon this book when I was 14 years old in my local library. It's written in a very simple yet beautiful style and I'm so glad that I've managed to find this book again. I'm now in my 30's and it's a book that I return to over and over again.

Gesture of Balance (Nyingma Psychology Series)
Gesture of Balance (Nyingma Psychology Series) by Tarthang Tulku (Paperback - Dec 1977)
8.95