5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!
Published on 30 April 2009 by Mrs. Karem I. Barratt

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic spelling error
I was browsing for a book on phonics and noticed that in the instructions for parents they are advised to 'practice'. I would have thought this type of book would not have let a basic error like this to appear (it should of course be 'practise' for the verb). This may seem picky but I hate to see this mistake especially in a literacy book.
Published 15 months ago by Celine

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 30 April 2009
Mrs. Karem I. Barratt (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reading Lesson: Teach Your Child to Read in 20 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
I used this book with my daughter when she was three, as she would have to start school three weeks after her fourth birthday. I was worried, since some studies in the UK had said that summer babies did not do as well as the rest during the first years in school and many were behind their classmates during their entire school years. Since English is not my mother tongue,I was not sure if I could I help her with the pronunciation of some letters and blends. So I decided to try The Reading Lesson. We worked slowly with the book. As she gained more skill and confidence, we went faster. Right now we are in the Spring term and I am happy to report that my daughter is the best reader and writer of her reception class. She is two levels above the bigger kids and she has developed a genuine love for books!

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!!, 30 Jan 2011
I'm British, and live in France with my French husband and 2 young children.

Keen to teach my 4 year daughter to read English, I started this book last summer. She won't be taught to read English at school in France any time soon...

We've worked steadily on the book, and now, nearing the end of chapter 7 of 20, I liken her in my mind to a bird who's just about to take off - running fast, flapping those wings - sort of floating between steps on the ground!!!!

I love the book. I love how it works through the different sounds, and keeps it simple enough to make a child want more. My little girl loves to colour in the pictures too.

I have a little boy who I intend to use the book with too, so have photocopied the pages for my girl- this works out great as when we do the lesson she puts the different sound pages ( 1st student page of each chapter ) in front of her to help her sound out the words. This may be tedious if she had to flip back in the book to find the right page when she ( inevitably) forgets some sounds. It helps her confidence to know she just has to scan the photocopied pages on the table to spot the sound - brilliantly portayed by an image.

I got the book on Amazon uk, then afterwards found out on Amazon U.S. that there's a dvd with the book too. I hung the expense (!!!!!!)and ended up getting another copy to have the dvd. It is worth it, I'd say for the added interest ( she buzzes off the 'Your score is 100'!!! ) It is American English, though, and some sounds do sound different!!! Just be there to say 'Giggle Bunny's American, we say it differently'......!!!!!

I also got my daughter the Fun with Phonics ( BBC ) dvd and started watching it with her from now - unit 7. She picks up lots of sounds, and I think it's a good point to introduce other sounds to come.

I'm really chuffed at the progress my 4 year old is making. I push a little, and heap on the praise. It's true that at times it seems like it's not going in ,then suddenly she'll just read you a word off the page!!!! The book seems to go at a realistic pace.

Some words that have been seen alot in the book are not underlined by sound, the child is expected to know them, so read them without sounding first.
Personally, I let my girl do as she wishes here - she prefers to sound the word, so I let her. Sometimes she says a sound underlined word right off, so I would say don't push the child to read the word just because the book says it's been seen enough to recognise it.

The child has to feel safe before taking to flight!!!! Be there as a co-pilot!! Let them call for help as they need, otherwise, once you've read them that first page of the chapter, let them flap their wings and try!!!!!!!!! It's such a heck of a skill to watch them learn. Enjoy the priveledge of being a part of it!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 7 Mar 2012
I never write reviews, but I am SO, SO pleased with this book, I had to! It's my way of saying thanks, and I just want everyone to know, this is a terrific programme. My son is 4, and more to the point, a September-born. He is therefore the eldest in the class and getting a bit bored at Nursery School. The head teacher told me he is very mature, doing things Reception/Kindergarten children are doing, and is ready to read. I had no idea how to teach him to read. But then I found The Reading Lesson on Amazon, and we both love it. It is so easy, well-thought out, and straight forward. He is reading, and loving it! We are only on Chapter 5 and he can already read one of his books at home - I know he's very proud of himself. He actually asks to do his homework all the time (we only do 5 minutes at a time) and he is rewarded by getting to play 5 minutes of video games. He also gets a reward at the end of each Chapter, each generally taking about 1 week.

A further note about speech & language: My son has had issues with his hearing, and as a result, he makes some sounds incorrectly, e.g. t/k mixed up. This book first captured my interest because it looked so similar to his speech & language 'homework'. This book is actually teaching him the same things, and more. His speech & sounds are improving all the time!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is fantasic, 26 Sep 2007
Ms. J. Houston (Newmarket, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is fantasic. I used it for my daughter just before she went to school, and she progressed very quickly in her school reading. Using the teaching methods it meant she was able to read words she had not seen before. One year on she is well ahead of her class mates at reading and we still use the book at home about once a week.
I could see this book would also help older children who are less confident with their reading, and it is great to be able to help your child. The only one thing I would mention about this book, is it is American or Canadian, so we have the word Mom rather than Mum.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing!!!!!i am so so pleased and so so relieved!, 9 Mar 2010
Y. Ghani (Cardiff, Wales UK) - See all my reviews
ok, so i was always a bit chilled about my 5 year old being OK at school and not to have to put pressure on him to do 'too much' at home. unlike my 9 year whom i pushed to read and learn about things from a very young age, with my five year old i felt i didn't want to do the same as my eldest although really bright can be easily bored and needs constant stimulation!!!!how wrong i was that that was not a good thing!!!
when i finally ended up going to my 5 year old's first parent teacher meeting in year 1, my whole world was turned upside down at the very instant when i was told in the nicest way possible that my 5 year old was 'getting help' where needed and that not all siblings would necessarily have the same ability. i was even more appaled to find out that on avarage my 5 year would be considered one below avarage for his ability in class compared to hie piers!he was on some stage 3 in his reading whilst others where stage 5 or more> i should not be worried i was told that by the end of year 1 he would just about catch up. but that was not good enough for me. i was deeply upset and it wa a good wake-up call for me. the best part fo the brain of a child develops when they are babies and most receptive conncetions are formed by the age of 5!!!!this was actually a disaster for me!!!!
being as proud as any mother, i was appalled by the fact that he spent 5 days a week almost 250 days of the year in school yet he was not able to recognize letters or now their sounds despite being in school for 2 years (nursery to begin with!). i am told this is the norm blah blah blah....but come on!!!!guessing by sight at the age 5 is not exactly going to help him in 2 years time when he has to catch up 3 times as fast with his piers!!!!
i fully understand that some children have a quicker ability to grasp and learn things than others (so it is with my first 2) but what i certainly DO believe in is that ALL CHILDREN HAVE POTENTIAL AND ARE CAPABLE TO LEARN just as well as children who show a natural talent for it. there is no excuse why my 5 year old should not understand the concept of letter and their sounds at his age!!!!what they do in school for that amount in time is beyond me!!!!
so, i got myself into gear and began researching with utmost determination. many books you buy and many workbooks are all a bit random, filled with too much colour and too many distractions, too much comprehension about HOW IMPORTANT IT IS FOR YOUR CHILD TO READ AND Eextensive explantions when and how to go about it. then alot of small print alot of diagrams and arrows and doodles!!!
this book is no nonsene, right to the point, right on with it. the print is large and clear to read. it goes back to basic simple traditional..black on white writing. so colours and busy doodles to distract. it does what it sais on the cover...it ' teaches' your child to 'literally' read!!!
the moment this book arrived on my doorstep i realized this is a goldmine. i used it immediately on the very first day. this was 3 weeks ago today!!!!
my 5 year old is reading full sentenses now of simple basic and some common words. and although we haven't covered chapter 5 and 6 fully yet, he can actually read those too maybe slower but read, he can!!!!the point is though he actually understand what he is doing. it is not a guessing game anymore and he teslls me what he sees!!!and that is the letters and their sounds and ultimately blending them to make and form the words!!!
he is not guessing words from pictures anymore, he understands the concept of phonics and blending and it has given him a new found confidance that is so amazing to see. he is so proud that he can 'actually read'!!!
i am so impressed with his progress that i am now using it with my 3 year old and my 1 year old should soon follow too. my three year old has just finished chapter 2!!!!!and can read words such as cat, dog, at , sat and dot!!!!i think there is avery small percentage in his class who may be able to actually do the same!!!
this is such a good book that i wished they could do a volumet 2 and 3 with more words and really take this a step further for harder reading. i love this book. this will change my childs future for good in the most positive manner that is invaluable to his future and for the rest of his life.
i would recommmend this book to everybody. don't waste time get it straight away!!!!
i cannot wait until the end of the year when he will be reading so much better and look forward to my next meeting with his teacher!!!this book lays the first stepping stone which is the hardest!!!...the rest will follow naturally and quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant book, 5 Mar 2013
I bought this a few weeks ago for my four year old son. We are on lesson five and I cant beleive how well he is doing or how easy he is finding it to read. We are taking it slow just doing a couple of pages a day and this only takes us about 15 minutes and he really looks forward to doing it. I would recommend that your child knows the alphabet phonicly before starting this book because i think it would be harder if he had to learn that first. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to give their child a head start before school.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very effective tool to teach children to read, 19 Dec 2012
I have started working through this with my 3.5 year old, aiming for him to be reading before he starts school in September. The book is very well set out with individual lessons focusing on different letters, starting off with sounding out and identifying the different letters, then paired up, then into 3-letter words etc, and my son enjoys it and asks to go through a page or two every evening.

However, the real challenge I have found is it is very difficult to get across to my son the concept of "blending" the individual sounds into a word, and I am not sure the book is as helpful as it could be in this. It guides you to sound out to your child the individual letters (c-a-t) and then say them quickly enough that it sounds very much like the real word. The problem is, however quickly you sound out c-a-t, it will never really sound like "cat" until you are able to make the conscious step of blending the sounds together, something my son has not yet grasped and I feel a bit unable to actually get the concept across. Once we have got past this I imagine the rest of the book will be easy though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, 9 Nov 2011
I wanted something to help my 5 year old daughters reading improve and this has certainly hit the mark. Just following the guide-lines for 2/3 weeks and her reading has already improved along with her confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely product, 3 Jan 2011
My daughter and I are on Chapter 2 at the moment, and it has been a real delight. Everything is so well laid out, anyone could use this book and succeed. My daughter loves working on a few pages every day and she is really motivated by the certificates and the fact that she is going to be able to read by the end of it. Well worth the cost, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB BOOK!, 26 July 2010
N. ZAKER "YummyMummy" (Hamburg) - See all my reviews
I bought this to teach my daughter how to read, and am truly glad that I did. It has simple instructions, not too much information per page as most of the other books I have bought (tends to distract and confuse my daughter). And as each page only has a few words to read, my daughter gets encouraged when she can manage to read everything on a page!

Just 20 easy lessons, focusing on rhyme with a phonetic approach....and we are half way through (we do a lesson every day)....and I believe that by the time she starts school in September, she will be a confident reader! Great book - would definitely recommend it.

Reading Lesson: Teach Your Child to Read in 20 Easy Lessons
Reading Lesson: Teach Your Child to Read in 20 Easy Lessons by Charan Langton (Paperback - 1 April 2002)
23.50