4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative writing on a rarely written about subject
Published on 29 Oct. 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Great on the whole with a few flaws I thought
This is a really interesting read; I loved learning about weaning in its historical context, the cartoons were quirky, the description of toddler / child nursing behaviours were interesting and useful.

Published on 30 Mar. 2008 by mosscottage

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative writing on a rarely written about subject, 29 Oct. 1998
By A Customer
A welcome source of support and positive reinforcement for nursing mother's whose happily nursing babies are quickly approaching their first birthday. As people question when the baby will be weaned, we can seek the words of Norma J. Bumgarner for support. Even now, in October 1998, as the American Association of Pediatrics recommends nursing through the first 12 months and as long as mother and baby feel it is beneficial, there is still not very much support for mothers who nurse toddlers. I read the book when my son was 7 months old to learn what nursing a toddler would be like. The book enlightened me. Now that my son is 14 months old, I have re-read the book. Norma writes realistically and in a down-to-earth manner. I recommend this book to anyone currently nursing their baby. I understand the book is to be revised soon. I would like to see more interviews of mothers telling their experiences. The thing I've learned the most is that every baby is different, and every nursing style is different. While some toddlers nurse many times during the day for very short periods of time, others nurse infrequently. The book should also acknowledge that all toddlers are not comfort-nursers. I especially liked the chapter which dealt with how to deal with negative criticsm from others and the debate of whether to keep the nursing relationship a secret or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent source of information, 15 May 2005
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)
Having found myself (unexpectedly!) nursing a toddler I had alot of questions and no-one to turn to for answers. This book has been a great source of encouragement especially when the going gets tough - I hadn't expected a toddler to nurse quite so much at times! Highly recommended to anyone nursing at any stage -toddler or otherwise.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great on the whole with a few flaws I thought, 30 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)

However I thought that the book was very, very geared to full-time Mums; there was a cursory mention of Mums who work outside the home and what they could do re: expressing / breastfeeding of a toddler but I did not think this subject was covered in nearly enough depth.

For me the book seemed to major an awful lot on modesty / being discreet (even to the point where she presents one option of not nursing in public at all), too. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I do think that perhaps if a few nursing toddlers were a little *less* discreet - if people could tell that they were actually nursing - then the practice might become more commonplace and more accepted.

But apart from this, a great book. (Could probably do with a cover change now though; the smock on the front alone might put some people off!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 8 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)
The joy and beauty of breastfeeding a toddler
I nursed all four of my children as toddlers and delight in recommending this nurturing book. While long-term breastfeeding becomes more popular in the US, Europe and Canada, there is still some confusion and unease about the topic. This book provides a reassuring nod to all mothers who are breastfeeding their toddlers.
Filled with practical tips, real-life stories, quotes from experienced mothers and glorious photos, it is a joy to read.
Handy pointers about typical toddler-feeding issues such as that annoying twiddling, handling your child's verbal public request to nurse, dealing with critics, night-nursing and weaning.

If you currently are nursing your toddler, or if you are considering the journey, this book is worth owning. I have included a recommendation for it in my new book, Gentle Baby Care: Essential Tips for Raising Your Baby.

-- Elizabeth Pantley, author of The No-Cry Sleep Solution.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book about nursing or weaning a child., 28 Oct. 1998
By A Customer
Mothering your Nursing Toddler is a fabulous book for anyone thinking about weaning or nursing their child. It helps a mother focus on the benefits and reasons for nursing a child beyond a few months. It is filled with stories and ideas for the nursing family. It has many great suggestions about weaning too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good source of comfort, information and encouragement, 2 May 2012
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)
I bought this book as my son is an avid breastfeeder and at 12 months still relies on breastfeeding regularly both day and night (aargh!). The book filled a gap for me and was like a friend offering advice about a subject that I found myself increasingly alone with. I had nobody else to ask who was in a similar position so I ordered a copy. My husband, MIL (especially) and direct family (except for my sister who also breastfed her child until they were 2) in general are surprised that I'm still feeding him. It makes it more difficult to voice doubts and ask for advice when you know that someone is opposed to your decision. This book offers a great deal of practical advice regarding how to handle such objections and whilst one braver reviewer stated that she does suggest nursing in private etc and should advocate a greater public show, I feel her advice resonated with me and whilst Im proud of BF for so long I also understand that it isn't a common occurrence to see toddlers breastfeeding in public and would make me feel uncomfortable.

At times i smiled knowingly such as when she describes training their free hand (which wanders and likes to play with the other breast/ nipple) and how to encourage them away! She also highlights that it is common during the first few months of the first year for nursing to increase which made me relax as i was beginning to think that my son was "de-weaning" from solids at times! All in all i felt much more confident and happier with my decision after reading this book. I'm not sure how long I'll continue to BF for. I'd like my son to wean himself but if you're looking for some advice on breastfeeding toddlers or have concerns about it this book will assuage your fears.

The book is well written, sympathetic and informative. All assertions are carefully referenced. She provides an interesting insight into other cultures and looks at a historical as well as cross-cultural view of breastfeeding and weaning age.

Worth the purchase if you're considering breastfeeding beyond the first year or have already continued and have some questions about breastfeeding a 2,3,4 year old.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must' for mums nursing toddlers, 27 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)
This is a great book if you find yourself nursing a toddler and wanting to understand just what's normal. It has some great sections on what to expect at each age and on different ways in which to wean.
Toddler nursing is very much an 'underground behaviour' and I've yet to find a mother who is nursing a toddler to actively broadcast the fact. This book is really helpful at filling the gap that talking to other mothers in similar situations would naturally fill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for mothers and health visitors, 23 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by a La Leche League helpline volunteer after I had contacted them for advice about my 15 month old daughter's breastfeeding a lot at night. It was extremely helpful as it firstly reassures and encourages mothers that continuing to breastfeed past 6 months or 1 year is so beneficial to both child and mother. Then it gives practical advice on feeding a toddler and beyond. And all through the book is the ethos that breastfeeding is not just about nutrition but about a way of Mothering your child that has huge benefits for both of you. I did find the section on sleeping helpful and reassuring and I enjoyed reading the book very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great information book, 29 Dec. 2006
A. McWhinney (N Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)
As a mother of 4 children, all of which I nursed I must say I enjoyed this book immensely. sadly in society there are too many people too quick to judge us nursing moms. The book provided a lot of reassurance that I am doing the best job for my babies. The author has written well, explaining all the health benefits and some of the pitfalls of nursing. Also included is useful ammunition on how to deal with unkind comments from so called well meaning freinds and relatives.

Worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars A interesting read, 15 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)
If you like the Gina Ford way, this is not the book for you. The book promotes following your child's lead & discusses many elements & issues you may have nursing a toddler. Interesting history of nursing children in various ages & societies. I thoroughly enjoyed it & found it just right for me.

Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
Mothering Your Nursing Toddler by Norma Jane Bumgarner (Paperback - Feb. 2000)
Used & New from: £1.00