5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable guide for parents or teachers, 20 Jan 2007
R. Rowling (Worcs. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guiding the Gifted Child: A Practical Source for Parents and Teachers (Paperback)
If you have, or suspect you may have a gifted child on your hands this book will be invaluable. We bought it two years ago and still refer to it frequently: I can't imagine how we could have coped with our son without it!

This book showed us the world from his point of view and led us to conclude that an IQ test might help us and his teachers understand 'what we were dealing with'. These tests and their implications are well explained in the chapter on identifying gifted children, along with a good discussion about how society views them and the misconceptions that can surround them. There are also excellent chapters on parenting (eg motivation, discipline, peer relationships etc) which are helpful, because especially bright children bring unexpected challenges for their parents!

I particularly valued the 'open letter' from a parent of an exceptionally gifted child, which I have read and re-read many times.

This would be a great book for a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator to read, or anyone in education who comes into contact with children who may be gifted (remembering that such children can hide their 'giftedness'). It is easy to read, being well written and organised, although there are a couple of points to bear in mind: first, that it talks exclusively about the American schooling system; second, that it was originally written in 1994. However, my husband and I have found it so incredibly useful, supportive and inspiring that I still think it deserves a five star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Focus on their psychological and emotional uniqueness, 16 Sep 1998
By A Customer
As the parent of a gifted child, I found the book's focus on the psychological and emotional uniqueness of gifted children extremely helpful. The book gave me great insight into my daughter's way of thinking and feeling and perceiving the world which in turn led to some changes in my parenting approach that have had enormously gratifying and rewarding results for both of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute "must have" book for both parents and educators, 14 July 1997
By A Customer
Although titled as designed for guidance of parents and educators involved with identified gifted children, this book has many "proven" parenting techniques that work equally well with all children. The information especially designed to help in identifying the uniqueness of gifted and talented children adds to its' value. It usefullness does not limit it to a single age group but can be referred to again and again as the child matures.

Guiding the Gifted Child: A Practical Source for Parents and Teachers
Guiding the Gifted Child: A Practical Source for Parents and Teachers by Elizabeth A. Meckstroth (Paperback - Mar 1989)
11.66