5.0 out of 5 stars Ghost Stations 1, 15 July 2006
H. Garrety (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Stations: True Ghost Mystery Stories: No. 1 (Paperback)
I bought this book in 1988 when I had just arrived at RAF Scampton as a pilot officer. The book was bought on a Saturday and I read it that night. The mess was rather empty and with the wind blowing and windows rattling, it was a somewhat sleepless night. I still think the first book is outstanding, the second was good but then as previous reviewer stated, I think the books went downhill. Its a shame as I bought them all on the offchance that they might improve again and also that I met Mr Halfpenny in Lincoln purely by chance. On a number of occassions I ventured to many of the old airfields at night and despite a couple of strange experiences, nothing major to report. As I said, great first book, remainder ruined by the author's politics.

5.0 out of 5 stars A First Class Read, 16 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
There is no doubt that the first book Ghost Stations is the best and still today the absolute authority on RAF ghosts, but though the rest of the series is not up to that level is due to the fact that it’s a hard act to follow, but in any case they are still a great read in themselves. There is no getting away from the fact that a lot of research has been done on these stories, the problem is that Ghost Stations one set such a high standard and is classed, by not just myself, but all I know who have read it as an absolute classic. The author Bruce Barrymore Halpenny is the number 1 authority on military airfields and the ghosts that dwell there, you only need read his airfield and aircraft books to see that the man knows his subject and anyway all the stories do have a military theme in one way or another even if some are thin.
A definite 5 stars for Ghost Stations one and still 5 for the rest, though some of the stories may not be to everyones taste the rest can easily kick ‘em up to 5 in my opinion. It’s all a matter of taste. If you love true stories of the paranormal, ghosts and mysteries, especially of a military nature, then you have to get the whole series, which I think is 8 or 9.

4.0 out of 5 stars The First and the best!, 3 Mar. 2013
This was the first book written by the author dealing with ghosts on old airfields. I found it to be a cracking good read and very plausibly presented.However, I think he wrote a total of 8 books on airfield ghosts and this one is the only one worth reading. The rest are pure dross in which the author seems to lose the plot completely. Buy this book and ignore the rest. You will save your hard earned money.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 8 May 2000
By A Customer
detailed and chilling. i was engrosed in this book from the start as all the facts are true. i would strongly recomend this book to any one who is interested in the second world war. keep up the good work

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading, couldnt put it down, 5 Jun. 2000
By A Customer
This book provided me with an excellent read, full of factual information that has certainly given me a major insight into the reality of the station life and after effects. I live local to the stations in Lincolnshire and am now more interested when I visit the locality, especially RAF Hemswell Cliff, it brings to mind events. There is also the site at RAF Hibaldstow, which I read about in one of Halpennys books. All in all an excellent, gripping read that kep me awake ALL night, especially during the thunderstorm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab Read, 2 July 2013
I have read from the library most of his book and they are all fab. I have since been able to get hold of two copies in paperback. I wish Bruce would put them all on Kindle I would buy the lot. If your interested in ghosts or in WW2 these are the books for you they are fab.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
excellent item,prompt delivery,many thanks++++

Ghost Stations: True Ghost Mystery Stories: No. 1
Ghost Stations: True Ghost Mystery Stories: No. 1 by Bruce Barrymore Halpenny (Paperback - Feb. 1990)
Used & New from: £0.50