on 26 November 2009
This book was first published in 1969, and as such needs to be read as a historical document from a particular point in (design) history. There is much of interest in this book if you have the patience to find it. Joyfully under-designed and coming out of one of the best design publishing companies in the UK, Hyphen Press, it is an important text in the history of design writing and should be read as such. If you're prepared to dig a little deeper, then it actually contains some ideas about design education which make design education establishments today look positively conservative.
on 1 February 2015
I bought this book by accident while searching for "What is Design" by by P-J Grillo. It was worth reading - just, but Grillo's book, when I eventually found it, proved to be a masterpiece.
on 18 July 2015
Bought as a present for someone
on 27 May 2016
Clever and useful remarks.
on 28 August 2009
This book is needlessly long-winded, incredibly pretentious, glaringly irrelevant, and actually quite patronising.
I've only lasted unilt chapter 5 (although I intend to continue reading from cover to cover as it is on my Reading List for St. Martins) but if the book continues in this pointless way I will feel like I've wasted hours of my life being told what I already know in the longest, most achaic fashion possible.
Let's have a little taster:
"Even 'judgement', that wise old word, becomes ponderously inhuman unless fertilized by some order of creative spontaneity"
Want more of this?
Then by all means spend a tenner on this little gem of a book.
If like me, it's on your reading list... well I personally wouldnt bother, maybe there's some money in creating a synopsis of the points raised in the simplest wording possible?