4.0 out of 5 stars The most useful of books.
Throughout my many visits to the Red Sea, this is the one book which I have seen produced by divers more than once on each and every trip. Printed on special plastic pages with waterproof inks, the book can be taken into he sea or handled with dripping wet hands. After so many trips, my own book still looks like new.
The five pages of index at the back reveals each...
Published on 1 Oct 2004 by Ned Middleton

2.0 out of 5 stars the fish look dead
This seemed to be the standard, so i forked out the twenty quid. I also bought some other used books cheaper. We quickly found ourselves going for the other books over this.

Published 3 months ago by The_Smiff

4.0 out of 5 stars The most useful of books., 1 Oct 2004
Ned Middleton (British professional underwater photo-journalist & author) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Diver's Guide to Red Sea Reef Fishes (Paperback)
The five pages of index at the back reveals each fish to be listed alphabetically under both it's common and Latin names. There should be no trouble in finding your fish, therefore, if you have that much information. For those who have seen something for the first time (and "that" is always happening) the book is set out with all similar fishes grouped together. Each fish is numbered to correspond with the index, is depicted by profile giving both the common and Latin names. There are anything from 3 to 11 fishes per page with 325 species being included.
Basically, if you have seen something that, say, looks like a Butterflyfish - but isn't, then all the Butterflyfish are shown in full colour profile together and then those fish which are similar to Butterflyfish are then found right next door. Altogether, if your fish is in this book (and it will be!) then there should be trouble in finding it and making the appropriate correct entry in you logbook.
John Randall has been producing books of this type for a good many years and has the highest reputation in his field.
NM

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 8 May 2013
This review is from: The Diver's Guide to Red Sea Reef Fishes (Paperback)
If like me you are new to snorkelling/diving in the Red Sea and like to identify the reef fish, then this book is brilliant! Its a real bonus that it is waterproof as I was able to take it on the boat and look through it whilst still wearing my wet suit and it still looks as good as new.

2.0 out of 5 stars the fish look dead, 8 April 2014
This review is from: The Diver's Guide to Red Sea Reef Fishes (Paperback)

There are no descriptions and the sizes seem to be for the sample, not the max! This is odd. The biggest problem though is the quality of the photos, many having such poor colour reproduction that it's hard to identify the fish, and all of them looking washed out and lifeless. There's also nothing at all on corals etc (as expected).

So unless you absolutely need a waterproof book (Why? we didn't see anyone taking one into the sea!), look at "Reef Fishes and Corals of the Red Sea" by Peter Harrison or the big "Coral Reef Guide" which we found in a bookshop there and couldn't afford sadly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good guide to the fishes of the red sea reefs, 8 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Diver's Guide to Red Sea Reef Fishes (Paperback)
I was very happy to get this book, as I am soon to be going on holiday to Egypt and hope to scuba dive & snorkel off the reefs near Sharm el Sheik.
I wanted a guide to the marine life that I may see whilst there, for identification purposes and to log what I had seen.
The book is excellent in that it is printed on water proof paper with water proof ink, so I can look through it with wet hands. It says it can be taken into the sea, but I doubt I will do that, I'd probably leave it on the jetty and refer to it once out of the water.
It show lots of good colour photos of the fish, but where I was disappointed is that it doesn't have any photos of coral, nudibranches, molluscs and other reef creatures, but for fish it really is good. Hope that review helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative book, 17 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Diver's Guide to Red Sea Reef Fishes (Paperback)
I have had this book for years and I bought for a friend of mine who is having his first trip to the Red Sea. This is an excellent book, very informative with superb pictures.

The Diver's Guide to Red Sea Reef Fishes
The Diver's Guide to Red Sea Reef Fishes by John E. Randall (Paperback - 1 Jun 1999)
16.45